Mechanical Keyboards and iPhone - My first post

thepeacekepr

13 Dec 2016, 21:11

Hi Everybody,
Been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.
First let me thank you for such a great forum for information!

I tried to do a search here and using Google but no luck on finding the information I am looking for.

Can anybody tell me will the iPhone 7 running the latest iOS support a USB Keyboard?
I know that users have reported that it can be done with the iPad using the Lightning to USB camera kit (so long as the KB does not draw too much power). Has anybody tried using the lightning to USB camera kit with the iPhone 7?

Would appreciate any info on this as its a pricy dongle to buy if it won't work.

Eventually what I want to do is use the (hopefully soon to be released) Vortex Core with my iPhone. I want to drive my coworkers nuts with Cherry MX Blue switches clacking away while I am taking notes during work meetings!

-Jon

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2016, 21:35

Yes, it ought to work fine. I've used the Lightning to USB adapter for USB typing with my iPhone 6S Plus. Indeed, Apple's Lightning Dock holds the iPhone up at the right angle and neatly hides the port around back so you can route the adapter out of sight.

The only gotcha is keyboard power draw. Don't try this with an HHKB! That board's built in USB hub (groan) requests too much current and Apple's adapter refuses to let it into the party. Real pity. The HHKB would be a superb iPhone keyboard. Bluetooth is the way… or a powered USB hub. But at that point you should just haul out a laptop!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

13 Dec 2016, 22:39

The real acid test is to try it with a Model F! :D

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2016, 23:56

That does indeed work! Both Soarer's converter and Xwhatsit's Model F controller are within the iPad's power budget. And so I presume the iPhone's, too. I have tried both with an iPad before. On the Topre side, while the HHKB doesn't work with iOS, the Realforce and NovaTouch both do. Pretty sure I tried the former on my iPhone with success, as well as the iPad.

Needless to say, I haven't gotten into the habit of actually typing with mechs on my iPhone. It's a Plus, but even so the screen's much too small to use at a traditional typing distance for me. The iPad is bearable, but my laptop and ultimately desktop Macs are what these boards were born for.

thepeacekepr

14 Dec 2016, 00:06

Thank you both for the info!

Muirium
µ

14 Dec 2016, 00:17

You're welcome. And also a little nutty. But who isn't around here!

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Dec 2016, 00:17

thepeacekepr wrote: I want to drive my coworkers nuts with Cherry MX Blue switches clacking away while I am taking notes during work meetings!
A lofty ambition, for sure. :mrgreen:

alh84001
v.001

14 Dec 2016, 00:32

Muirium wrote: Don't try this with an HHKB! That board's built in USB hub (groan) requests too much current and Apple's adapter refuses to let it into the party. Real pity. The HHKB would be a superb iPhone keyboard

Techno Trousers wrote: The real acid test is to try it with a Model F! :D
With a solenoid :mrgreen:

czarek

14 Dec 2016, 11:46

Pretty much any keyboard but HHKB works :)
Yes, that includes fullsize Topre and Model F122! HHKB complains about not enough power!

shawndo

15 Dec 2016, 01:17

I got the HHKB Pro2 to work, but it's not exactly convenient. external battery, 2 port usb splitter, etc.
This did work for my iphone 7+ as well.
More info here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... d_finally/

HHKB BT (bluetooth) is my favorite ios option and infinitely more convenient.

Kurplop

15 Dec 2016, 04:07

Being able to power a usb keyboard through an iPhone is one thing, but how many hours or minutes can you do so on a single battery charge?

thepeacekepr

15 Dec 2016, 17:17

alh84001 wrote:
Muirium wrote: Don't try this with an HHKB! That board's built in USB hub (groan) requests too much current and Apple's adapter refuses to let it into the party. Real pity. The HHKB would be a superb iPhone keyboard

Techno Trousers wrote: The real acid test is to try it with a Model F! :D
With a solenoid :mrgreen:
Or a Symbolics space-cadet keyboard :o

ShivaYash

19 Feb 2017, 11:15

Hello chaps. My FC660c works with the iPad but not my newly purchased iPhone 7 Plus. Any ideas? I'm using the older lightning to USB connector, with the 30-pin converter. Would this extra element make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShivaYash

19 Feb 2017, 11:16

Would be interested in hearing how the Core performs with macOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigmoid

19 Feb 2017, 14:27

I once got an iGrip - that weird game controller like handheld keyboard - for use with iOS devices... Well guess what, that also draws too much power. And it doesn't even have a hub... Talk about a disappointment.

fruitalgorithm

22 Feb 2017, 21:53

I have successfully used a Plum Nano 75 with Bluetooth with iOS, both iPad an iPhone. It works great and even includes cmd and alt keycaps to switch with the windows keycaps.

Using an LIghtning to USB adapter and a Griffin iMate USB to ADB adapter I was able to use an old Apple Extended II and an old Ortek board with iOS without problems.

There are two different lightning to USB adapters made by Apple and some more cheap no name adapters. I remember hearing that some peripherals don't work with the older Apple USB Adapter.

thepeacekepr

23 Feb 2017, 21:59

Got the Lightning to USB camera kit and connected my KB my iPhone 7.
I got the message:
"Cannot Use Device. Poker II: The connected device requires too much power."

I hope the core KB will work ...

czarek

24 Feb 2017, 11:17

Ohh that's strange, my Poker II is now scrapped so I couldn't test this one, but I can tell you that KBP V60 (both Matias and backlit Cherry) work fine, just as well as GH60, which I'm using regularly with my iPad on a go.

Sigmoid

24 Feb 2017, 23:12

I think everyone who posts results should probably also mention the iDevice type (iPhone 6 / iPad Air 2 / etc.), the iOS version, and the adapted model (written on the backside of the adapter in light grey).

After doing some experimentations, I have had absymal results on both an iPad Air and an iPhone 5S, using the "Model A1440" Lightning to USB camera adapter. Both an older Apple USB full keyboard and an Infinity 60% are reported as "drawing too much power", just as the iGrip.

I could get it working with my digital piano by USB MIDI, which was to be expected since it doesn't draw any power from the USB port. :)

Return to “Keyboards”