Cherry G80-1501 HCD with MX Clear?

niceguyeddie

19 Aug 2020, 21:42

Hello,

I want to buy a board (a Cherry G80-1501 HCD according to the seller), but it has MX Clear switches and it is branded with a Desko logo. According to the Cherry article number it's supposed to have MX Black switches. I am not really sure, if the seller (or previous owner) tampered with it. The Wiki also mentions that they always come with MX Blacks. Has anyone seen one with MX Clears in the wild or does anyone have some further information?

Thanks!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Aug 2020, 15:18

Apparently the seller has (had) several of them with exactly the same features, just have a look at his sold items,
so it is rather improbable that he tampered with them.
It is probably discarded stuff from a professional environment.

niceguyeddie

20 Aug 2020, 18:43

Thank you for your replies and additional information. I have decided to buy it after receiving more pictures. Like kbdfr pointed out it seems to be from a work environment, although it is a different seller.

niceguyeddie

25 Aug 2020, 11:34

I received the keyboard in the mail today and, like you've said, it's legit. I've tried to open it and according to the Wiki there are only 4 screws to loosen (plus additional two for the pin connector). I did this, but I am having a real hard time to separate the halves.Especially the bottom part seems to be stuck to the front of the keyboard. Am I missing something? I have never disassembled a 1501 and I don't want to break something. Are there some clips at the front of the keyboard? Very strange...

EDIT
I found it, the cause was double sided tape from the chip card reader that has gone loose over time and jammed a bit. Now it's opened.

Return to “Keyboards”