New F77 teething issues - help appreciated

Pentaquark

04 Aug 2020, 18:51

I have just received my new F77 and would highly appreciate some help :)
I have installed the keys according to the instructions, but the left 30% of the keys are not registering - mods and following alphas : qwaszx.
I have tried following the trouble shooting guide but am left completely bewildered it is very hard to follow!
Will flashing the firmware with QMK solve the problem?
Can somebody give me some pointers?
Please take pity on a noob :)
Cheers

kmnov2017

04 Aug 2020, 19:11

yes, i recommend flashing QMK. Contact user pandrew directly for QMK beta...

Coeus

04 Aug 2020, 21:43

I wonder about this being a firmware problem. With a small proportion of keys not working I wonder if this is a bad connection. The keys on a keyboard are arranged in rows and columns of a matrix, though this doesn't necessarily match up the physical arrangement of the keys in front of you.

In most keyboards, switches are located at the intersections of rows and columns. The controller applies a signal to each column in turn and tests which, if any, of the row outputs has been activated and repeats that process cycling over all the columns and back to the first one again continuously.

If one of the column connections was faulty, for example had become disconnected from the controller or there was a fault with that pin of the controller, all the keys on that column would stop working but keys on other columns would be unaffected. Likewise with one of the rows - all the keys in that row would stop working but keys in other rows would continue to work.

It requires fewer lines to/from the controller if the matrix is nearer to square rather than matching the physical arrangement of the keys which has many columns and only a few rows. So, my guess is that these non-working keys are all in the same column of the matrix as seen by the controller.

How much assembly did you have to do on this?

P.S. I know the Model F is capacitive but that just means it is changing the capacitance at the intersections rather than making a connection - the matrix arrangement still applies.

Pentaquark

04 Aug 2020, 21:52

Thanks for both of the replies. I disassembled the keyboard - basically just unscrewed the case, wiggled the plate/PCB assembly, put it back together and now all of the keys register....
I guess shipping must have dislodged something. Fingers crossed it continues to behave :)

elcano

26 Oct 2020, 03:59

I experienced exactly the same. My keyboard was not registering any keys from 3-4 to C-V (2 diagonal columns of 4 keys each). I disassembled the keyboard expecting to see something disconnected but found nothing. Upon connecting again, I noticed that it was working fine.

Return to “Keyboards”