Topre vs Topre Silent

JCMax

01 Mar 2022, 23:29

Muirium wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 22:45
All fixed. ;)

Pencil button to edit. Quote button to quote (copy) someone else.
My savior! :lol:
Go-Kart wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 22:46
Well, looks like I missed my opportunity to sing the HHKB's praises but the outcome was still the same; Topre-curious DT member bought a HHKB :lol:
Palatino wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 22:53
02:27
JCMax wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 02:27
There is only one thing stopping me from placing my order right now..............the price.
05:37
Nevermind, just placed it! I also got a dust cover to go with it too! :D
Love it. A few hours of looking at something is all it takes to go from penny-watching prudence to all-out bells and whistles!
That's the affect of HHKB layout + Topre... :shock:
I just know it's going to be a freaking AWESOME keyboard!

wobbled

01 Mar 2022, 23:34

Yeh you won't be disappointed with the Type-s Hybrid.
From factory it is by far the best unmodified topre board.

Muirium
µ

01 Mar 2022, 23:50

Aye. I have a restored and USB converted IBM 3276 beamspring (made 1979, value $1000) and a likewise unobtainium daily drivable IBM Model F 4704 Kishsaver (made 1986, value $2500), yet it is the HHKB I keep on using. They are that good.

(And really don’t have many fewer keys than either of those multi kilo metal slabs of IBMs!)

Elrick

05 Mar 2022, 03:04

Palatino wrote:
Love it. A few hours of looking at something is all it takes to go from penny-watching prudence to all-out bells and whistles!
That is Life in general. If you are always in penny-pinching mode, you miss out on the BEST in Life.

Since Life is so short, why wait on being extensively pleased with owning and using a HHKB?

Muirium
µ

05 Mar 2022, 09:36

Absolutely. I’ve probably fewer keyboards than any other DT blowhard, because I’m mostly skint and yet I’ve a pricey eye. So I target my acquisitions very selectively, and use a lot of patience.

Purchased 2014 and 2022. I’ve been after a black one ever since I ordered the Type-S, that’s why it shipped with a second white key set for my future use! I’ve been so patient on this one the HHKB’s subsequently moved to a new design I don’t like, so it was high time for me to go grab my second Pro 2 while they’re still available. Got it for a song, actually. Well chuffed.

But won’t someone please think of the Nizzes and the Keychrons! All those mediocre boards I’ve missed out on while typing on Topre and Model F all this time. :lol:

Bjerrk

05 Mar 2022, 10:49

Variety is the spice of life. Gotta throw a bit of MEI into the pot once in a while to fully appreciate those zesty Eulerian catastrophically buckling compression column switches.

Muirium
µ

05 Mar 2022, 11:11

The Datalux Spacesaver, hallowed be thy cursed name, is no mere Niz or Noppoo. It is The Beast, the dark apotheosis of keyboard kind: inversed! It is the shadow of everything that is desired, designed or good. It is the Michaelangelo of abomination. And to know it, is to know your darkest self…

Spoiler:

Go-Kart

06 Mar 2022, 09:54

I'll admit, I was wishing to like the Datalux Space Saver but alas, those switches, even a mother couldn't love 'em.

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2022, 11:31

It looks cute, when you see a photo of it from just the right angle. But the Demonic Space Saver is no such thing, it's a beastly beast!

Goes in search of a bulk-exposing photo to make the point, instead finds this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... board_iss/

Is there no place free from Satan? Even in the heavens!

JCMax

07 Mar 2022, 05:03

Just got the board in this weekend. You know what...it really is freaking AEWSOME!!! :D
Just like I knew it would be!

The Topre switches are easily the best part. The feel and sound is better than I was expecting. I'm still getting used to the HHKB layout though.

I soooo want to get another Topre board at some point. I like having an ortho-linear layout for the numpad but would rather have it next to the main keys instead of to the right of a nav cluster. I would rather toggle num-lock back and forth when moving from numeric to nav-cluster. That's why I'm thinking about getting a Leopold fc980c.

This is definitely my go-to board for travel. My Unicomp New Model M has stiff competition now (pun intended).

I would recommend this to ANYBODY that wants to try the best modern keyboard. This has got to be pretty high up there.
Elrick wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 03:04
Palatino wrote:
That is Life in general. If you are always in penny-pinching mode, you miss out on the BEST in Life.

Since Life is so short, why wait on being extensively pleased with owning and using a HHKB?
AMEN!!!!!
Muirium wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 09:36
Absolutely. I’ve probably fewer keyboards than any other DT blowhard, because I’m mostly skint and yet I’ve a pricey eye. So I target my acquisitions very selectively, and use a lot of patience.

But won’t someone please think of the Nizzes and the Keychrons! All those mediocre boards I’ve missed out on while typing on Topre and Model F all this time. :lol:
I want a rock solid keyboard that feels and works great, but also something that will last. Quality trumps quantity. I'm not really the type to invest a small fortune in a bunch of ancient keyboards and then spend another small fortune fixing them up. No disrespect to the folks that due, in fact hats off to you for your dedication. :)

All I'm asking for is the closest to the greatest keyboard ever built I can get my hands on. Is that too much? ;)

Elrick

07 Mar 2022, 08:11

JCMax wrote:

I want a rock solid keyboard that feels and works great, but also something that will last. Quality trumps quantity.
Most fanatics on this forum site agree with you 100%.
JCMax wrote:
I'm not really the type to invest a small fortune in a bunch of ancient keyboards and then spend another small fortune fixing them up. No disrespect to the folks that due, in fact hats off to you for your dedication. :)
In the same category now, maybe due to my age and having other priorities.
JCMax wrote:
All I'm asking for is the closest to the greatest keyboard ever built I can get my hands on. Is that too much? ;)
That is like looking for the Lost Ark of the Covenant. Something that you expect will change your life, but would it be for the better.....?

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2022, 09:00

WHY can’t NICE things in HIGH DEMAND be plentiful and CHEAP?

And no, I don’t want to read that economics textbook you’re about to hurl at me. I said WHY? Isn’t that enough?

Polecat

07 Mar 2022, 17:42

Muirium wrote:

And no, I don’t want to read that economics textbook you’re about to hurl at me. I said WHY? Isn’t that enough?
My economics professor summed up his courses as follows. Econ 101 said that we all sit in a circle and sell each other stuff, and we all get rich. That works as long as the government prints new money faster than inflation devalues it. Econ 102 said that we all sit in a circle and sell each other stuff, and we all get rich, and the government only takes half each time the money changes hands. That works as long as the circle gets bigger faster than the government takes their cut. By the time we got to Econ 103, which factored in supply and demand, we were all too depressed to become good consumers.

edit: I just checked my old notes, and it's even worse than I thought. Supply and demand are near the bottom of the list, below greed and fear, and just above utter hopelessness and despair.

JCMax

07 Mar 2022, 19:48

Elrick wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 08:11
JCMax wrote:
That is like looking for the Lost Ark of the Covenant. Something that you expect will change your life, but would it be for the better.....?
:lol: All jokes aside, I think the closest I will ever come to my ideal will be something like the Beam-springs, Model F's, Wootings, etc.
The question I ask myself is which one would I like the most? Which one would meet my needs better? The only real way is to research and try some.

I am awaiting the Model F Repro and am considering the Beam-spring project. I also have my eye on the Keystone project at Input Club (Because it's hall magnetic and has the Silo Beam-springs). Plus there's the void switch project...there's just so much out there...:shock:
Muirium wrote:

AMEN to that!
Polecat wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 17:42

edit: I just checked my old notes, and it's even worse than I thought. Supply and demand are near the bottom of the list, below greed and fear, and just above utter hopelessness and despair.
Make sense. I'll do my part. ;)

Go-Kart

07 Mar 2022, 21:44

JCMax wrote:
[...]
I soooo want to get another Topre board at some point. I like having an ortho-linear layout for the numpad but would rather have it next to the main keys instead of to the right of a nav cluster. I would rather toggle num-lock back and forth when moving from numeric to nav-cluster. That's why I'm thinking about getting a Leopold fc980c.
[...]
Glad you're digging your HHKB. I warn you though, some, like myself, only rate Topre as top-tier when inside a HHKB chassis. Every other Topre board I'm aware of has the switches mounted onto a metal mounting plate. The key feel is quite different. I had a 45 g Real Force but the key feel wasn't shit against my HHKB. It was still good but not HHKB level. My BFK was a cut above my RF, but that was with decades of break in and a good bit of tuning (Krytox/loosening the PCB mounting screws to add a little deck flex).

My HHKB still reigns supreme.

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2022, 22:53

Some, like me, too. But certainly not all Topre fans prefer the HHKB feel. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re in the minority! The Realforce is very highly regarded indeed.

JCMax

07 Mar 2022, 23:34

I was looking up other reviews and the Real-force is another one that I am considering.

JCMax

07 Mar 2022, 23:38

At any rate I am interested in seeing how the switches compare between something else and the HHKB. I didn't realize the chasis would make a big difference.
Last edited by JCMax on 07 Mar 2022, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

JCMax

07 Mar 2022, 23:38

What about mods people make to the Topre boards? Lubing and what-not? Do you think the juice is worth the squeeze trying that?

Go-Kart

08 Mar 2022, 05:29

I'd say it's worth it if you buy second hand and the board needs the work. My BFK was dusty AF. It was night and day after I had spent the time on it. I gave a HHKB I owned similar love but I couldn't tell really tell the difference. So if you've got a new board, I'd say you're already there IMO.

I've spoken to one or two DT members who're toying with the idea of custom mounting plates for their RF boards. That would be something I'd be interested in! Though, I no longer have any other Topre boards; HHKB is now my one and only ❤️

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2022, 09:42

Topre is as smooth as the best linears, straight out of the box, and it comes as standard with caps other switches would die for. Don’t overthink it. There isn’t a catch. It’s just high end and worth the price.

As for this thread’s initial topic: silencing / Type-S is definitely something to consider. Some don’t like it, so it’s fair that Topre offers undamped boards for a lower price. But I myself highly prefer it. My new (locally sourced bargain) HHKB only lasted a day of use till I installed the damping rings myself. Knew I couldn’t hold out: that’s why I already had them!

JCMax

08 Mar 2022, 23:29

Thanks! I appreciate all of the help. :D

Return to “Keyboards”