Thinking of buying an NCR80

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 16:41

I made a similar post on GH but people on there don't seem too talkative, so I thought I'd ask here as well.
Anyone that has experience with an NCR80 have any opinions on it? I wanted a vintage style chassis to put some MX switches in but I'm very inexperienced with the vintage market and was recommended this recently. I've heard very unfavorable things about the G80 of which it's based on, so I'm wary of putting down my money for something that may fall apart and doesn't have winkeys (Which I seem to be the only person who uses them :P ) I'm also very open to suggestions for other proper vintage chassis that I could work with!

Bjerrk

12 Mar 2022, 16:44

I mean, the more recent (as in "less than 30 years old") Cherry G80s are on the flimsier side for a mechanical keyboard, but absolutely serviceable. I use a G80-1800 at work and I'm sure it'll last for decades (more than it already has).

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 16:45

Noted! Makes me a bit more confident then, but I'd have to figure out which ones they're specifically basing it off of.
Research time!

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 20:48

Took the plunge and put my cash down. If this thread is still open when it comes in then I'll put my first thoughts here, may even make a video review for anyone caught in my situation.

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2022, 20:57

DT never locks threads. We are too enlightened with a lasting interest in the past and also too lazy. Maybe just the second one. ;)

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 21:16

That's good to hear! I'll make sure to come back to this thread and give an update or two!

JCMax

12 Mar 2022, 21:30

Personally, I've GOT to have at least one windows key. But all-in-all it really doesn't look like a bad keyboard.

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 21:39

Yeah I heavily rely on windows keys myself, but I'm willing to rebind or just not use it as a daily driver :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Mar 2022, 07:52

I do have a Windows key myself because I prefer dedicated keys over shortcuts, but just for your information:
Ctrl+Esc = Win

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2022, 08:56

Does that also work when you’re using it as a modifier, to chord with something else? Just picturing what that two-handed chord must look like! Escape? C’mon!

Bjerrk

13 Mar 2022, 09:12

kbdfr wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 07:52
I do have a Windows key myself because I prefer dedicated keys over shortcuts, but just for your information:
Ctrl+Esc = Win
That seems to be a Windows thing (but of course you can always bind it like that). As far as I understand, Ctrl+Esc doesn't work as a modifier either?

Personally, I never use the Super/Win key, though.

Bjerrk

13 Mar 2022, 09:14

Muirium wrote:
Just picturing what that two-handed chord must look like! Escape? C’mon!
I actually have my primary Fn/layer key on Esc on all my keyboards :D Tap=Esc, Hold=Fn.
It used to be Caps Lock->Fn, but I got too fond of having Ctrl in that spot after using an XT for a while ...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Mar 2022, 09:29

Bjerrk wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 09:14
Muirium wrote:
Just picturing what that two-handed chord must look like! Escape? C’mon!
I actually have my primary Fn/layer key on Esc on all my keyboards :D Tap=Esc, Hold=Fn.
It used to be Caps Lock->Fn, but I got too fond of having Ctrl in that spot after using an XT for a while ...
All that is actually an excellent reason for preferring individual dedicated keys over chords, combos, shortcuts and the like :lol:

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2022, 09:40

Got to say I’m with Choc on this one. A far-flung key like Escape (especially when it’s up on its own, far left of the function row) is a terrible choice for a modifier. You see where the rest of them are, right? :roll:

The whole point of modifiers is to chord. Bet even Kbdfr occasionally touches the Shift key and maybe even Control and Alt when he’s feeling spicy.

Bjerrk

13 Mar 2022, 11:15

Muirium wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 09:40
Got to say I’m with Choc on this one. A far-flung key like Escape (especially when it’s up on its own, far left of the function row) is a terrible choice for a modifier. You see where the rest of them are, right? :roll:
Well, no.
Layer keys are not necessarily for one-hand chording. I only use the layer key for a couple of things, neither of which involve the left hand [insert dirty joke]. I use it mainly for mouse keys, really, and for things like turning up/down/left/right into pgup/pgdn/home/end. No awkward chording involved.

In fact, that's exactly why I moved it out of the way, and made Caps Lock a modifier (LCtrl).

(And being a vim user, I slam the Esc key incessantly anyway ;) )

Bjerrk

13 Mar 2022, 11:22

As for interesting Fn/modifier key placements, there is the (in)famous SpaceFn layout:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51069.0

Unsurprisingly, this layout places the Fn key on the spacebar! Using the same tap/hold logic.

It's something I might consider if it weren't for the fact that I use Fn+Spacebar to mean left mouse click :D I often go days without using a pointing device outside of mouse keys :o It sounds insane, but I've even managed to infect some colleagues with this sickness.

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2022, 11:24

Why not use that handy Control key as Esc, with similar tap-logic to what you describe? That's a place for an incessant key, not all the way up in Greenland!

I'm with ya on Control left of A. Always. I've been that way ever since Soarer told me the magic incantation: Shift + Shift = Caps Lock. That macro started me on my wizard's way.

(The only improvement I can think of to that is Secretarial Shift: de-activate Caps Lock the next time either Shift is pressed. I'm still to work out the kinks in Karabiner with that one, though. It works fine the first time but then I notice my Caps Lock LED light whenever I press Shift thereafter and the !@#$ symbols become unreachable! There's something up with my rule logic.)

As for Spacebar: I do use it for a special firmware access layer on my QMK boards, like the Kishsaver and 3278. Fn + Space + F to reflash the firmware. Using the Spacebar *as* fn itself is… probably not as nutty as it sounds, but not something I've considered yet.

Bjerrk

13 Mar 2022, 11:32

Muirium wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:24
Why not use that handy Control key as Esc, with similar tap-logic to what you describe? That's a place for an incessant key, not all the way up in Greenland!
That's not a bad idea, actually. Being a Dane, however, Greenland of course holds a special place in my heart - as does the Esc key!

(And here's a little secret: I'm not too much of an ergo nutter.)

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2022, 11:43

Neither am I: 60% is what I'm drawn to, not thumb clusters and all the rest of it. I like things to be close, ready to hit.* It works out well for me, ergonomically, with my floating hands and heavy preference for the alpha-block.

Greenland is very appropriate then! I'm just saying maybe consider the Faeroes while you're sailing by.

*Yes, ergo fans, whatever's good for you, too. My typing style is a natural fit for compact layouts, especially 60%. But one size does not fit all, YMMV, etc. and so forth. I'm not anti-ergo, in principle. I just don't like using them, myself. Adaptation is a big hurdle, as is the size of most ergo keyboards. Part of my overall ergonomics package is to be able to move about and work in different places through the day, y'see.

CaesarAZealad

13 Mar 2022, 23:45

I'll be real I'm still trying to find what works for me. Never laid my hands on anything smaller than a 75%, but knowing how much I dislike using my layer button my my keychron I don't think anything lower than that is acceptable :P
Also never tried an ergo but the cost of a quality one already has me coming to terms with carpal tunnel.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Mar 2022, 08:32

Muirium wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:43
[…] Part of my overall ergonomics package is to be able to move about and work in different places through the day, y'see.
My desk is the only place where I would want to use a keyboard, so form follows function.

smartcousin

14 Mar 2022, 09:59

Hey buying an NCR80 is a smart and a good decision.

—Love, spammer 😘

Palatino

14 Mar 2022, 10:17

Spam reported. Awaiting badge.

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2022, 11:09

Badge? Do you think we're the Scouts? Make do with a cookie!

🍪+1 Achievement: DT Spam Report

Return to “Keyboards”