Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116) Sound

minister2020

29 Aug 2022, 17:32

I recently got an Apple Standard Keyboard with orange ALPS. I'm loving the feel of the switches, they feel simply amazing. I'm not quite as impressed by the sound though. They sound nice, but there's a bit of ping and I think the case is making the whole thing sound a bit hollow. Anyone have experience with modding this keyboard and have some advice? Or ALPS keyboards in general?

I've seen that people fill their keyboards with foam to make the sound deeper, and I'm thinking that might help. Although I've mostly seen that on r/MK, and their obsession with "thocc" is honestly kind of insane. I like a clicky clacky sound, I don't need it to sound like stepping on snow. I used to have MX Blues, and I actually liked that sound. I'm also considering lubing the stabilizers, and maybe the springs. I've never done that before though and I'm honestly a little scared lol. I also don't know if lubing the springs would ruin the feel.

I'm not completely opposed to some ping. It's just that I think these switches could sound much better. Definitely reccommend the Apple Standard Keyboard though. It's a pretty perfect size and feels like heaven.

LambdaCore

30 Aug 2022, 22:10

Those were probably tactile alps, if you want sharper clicks I'd recommend seeking out SKCM White Alps as they're decently common.

minister2020

31 Aug 2022, 06:42

LambdaCore wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 22:10
Those were probably tactile alps, if you want sharper clicks I'd recommend seeking out SKCM White Alps as they're decently common.
They are tactile and I don't have an issue with that. I just know they can sound deeper and more rich than the pingy hollow noise I'm getting right now.

thefarside

31 Aug 2022, 16:23

I’ve also noticed this and I think it has to do with the vibration of the plate and PCB. On Focus keyboards putting a non conductive pad under the PCB helps and tightening up the case. I’ve never tried on an M0116 but it couldn’t hurt to try. Below is a pic of a foam pad used on my Focus keyboard. It presses against the PCB and eliminates almost all of the reverberation.
IMG_6445.jpeg
IMG_6445.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 902 times

minister2020

31 Aug 2022, 17:48

thefarside wrote:
I’ve also noticed this and I think it has to do with the vibration of the plate and PCB. On Focus keyboards putting a non conductive pad under the PCB helps and tightening up the case. I’ve never tried on an M0116 but it couldn’t hurt to try. Below is a pic of a foam pad used on my Focus keyboard. It presses against the PCB and eliminates almost all of the reverberation.
IMG_6445.jpeg
Interesting. I'll definitely try that and see what the result looks like.

doomsday_device

31 Aug 2022, 18:47

thefarside wrote:
IMG_6445.jpeg
yep, that works especially well with roomy boards. i tried with m0116 too but it didnt had such impact as the case is pretty dense already and there is not so much space. worth a try anyway.
Attachments
IMG_20210404_163103.jpg
IMG_20210404_163103.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 864 times
IMG_20210916_224718.jpg
IMG_20210916_224718.jpg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 864 times

Return to “Keyboards”