KBTalking Pure - New mini keyboard with smarter layout

bakteria

19 Apr 2012, 11:06

First i was going to get the race but now it's leaning more towards the pure

maximAL

24 Jun 2012, 21:27

Hello,
i'm thinking about getting a Pure with orange backlight. Only thing i'm worried about is how the translucent lettering is realised. These are not real double shot caps, right? They are basically translucent keys with black...well, what? Plastic coating? Just color printed on them? E.g. Razer makes a mechanical backlid keyboard and the coating of the keys is said to wear of after time...

maximAL

28 Jun 2012, 13:21

So, now i ordered it anyway...and the light under the "i" is not working and the light under FN is dimmer than the others :(
Also, the letters are not all completely translucent and they really could have packed are short manual with the dip switch settings etc :?

metafour

28 Jun 2012, 14:07

The Fn LED is supposed to be dimmer than the others. When it's fully lit, by holding Fn and hitting the key marked SW3, the Fn lock is on and that's the visual indicator.

I had a Pure that was shipped to me with a nonfunctional switch. The s key switch had a bent pin. I had to desolder the LED and the switch to fix it.

laffindude

28 Jun 2012, 14:20

maximAL wrote:So, now i ordered it anyway...and the light under the "i" is not working and the light under FN is dimmer than the others :(
Also, the letters are not all completely translucent and they really could have packed are short manual with the dip switch settings etc :?
The soldering sucks on this board. Hit the LED solder points with your iron and it should be good. FN is normal. Manual for the pure has been posted many times.

ripster

28 Jun 2012, 15:48

I'll open mine up and take pics here soon..........now I'm curious the quality of soldering.

If in series could be mismatched LEDs. Good Multimeter would sort that out.
Last edited by ripster on 04 Jul 2012, 02:26, edited 5 times in total.

maximAL

03 Jul 2012, 21:40

So i gave it a try and Hit the soldering points of the LED but no luck :-(
Not that i really need the light, but it just bugs me.
Even returning the board might be difficult, as you can see the soldering points were touched (in case the Dealer tries to fix it)
I could maybe switch the LED with the superflouss one under the space bar...

frankbartoli

03 Jul 2012, 22:13

yes I have the same problem. leds are dimmer for F12, 1, 2, 3,

captain

03 Jul 2012, 23:31

Bummer. Mine looks great, and all LEDs are within reasonable spec. I do wish that I could turn OFF the little surface mounted white LEDs under the space bar and right-alt/acorn/ctrl. They are distracting in the dark.

maximAL

05 Jul 2012, 19:07

Disclaimer: i know close to nothing about electro technics :D

I used my multimeter and touched the FN Led - works!
I touched the LED of a standard key - only a slight glow on this and other LEDs, because they are all in the same circuit.
Now comes the funny part: if i use the correct polarity on the I-LED, nothing happens. If i use the wrong polarity it works :)
If i use the wrong polarity on one of the other standard keys, I also lights up :lol:

So, i should probably just resolder the LED the other way around :idea:

Made an designed in China all the way :lol:

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 19:14

Lol.

I also have a hard time with remembering anodes have short leads.

kint

05 Jul 2012, 19:24

or the cathodes have a flat plastic base on LEDs. Maybe check back before desoldering..

metafour

05 Jul 2012, 19:30

metafour wrote:The Fn LED is supposed to be dimmer than the others. When it's fully lit, by holding Fn and hitting the key marked SW3, the Fn lock is on and that's the visual indicator.
Not sure if you missed this.

frankbartoli

05 Jul 2012, 20:39

laffindude wrote:
maximAL wrote:So, now i ordered it anyway...and the light under the "i" is not working and the light under FN is dimmer than the others :(
The soldering sucks on this board. Hit the LED solder points with your iron and it should be good. FN is normal. Manual for the pure has been posted many times.
excuse me where I can find a guideline for the fix of leds with iron?
Thanks

net2522

05 Jul 2012, 21:00

pure3.jpg
pure3.jpg (251.73 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
pure2.jpg
pure2.jpg (232.63 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
Pure1.jpg
Pure1.jpg (154.84 KiB) Viewed 6826 times

frankbartoli

05 Jul 2012, 21:06

is for me?

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 21:10

This soldering guide ain't bad.
http://www.elexp.com/t_solder.html

But really, mine looks fine.

I'll load pics into the pics thread when I get a chance.

If you don't have a multimeter you can simply check if they screwed up polarity somehow with a LED from Radio Shack or the EU Equivalent like Maplin.

frankbartoli

05 Jul 2012, 21:14

Well, I must desoldering and resold the + and - of dimmer leds?

Yes, I have a multimeter. So If there isn't signal it mean that the weld is bad?

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 00:28

frankbartoli wrote:Well, I must desoldering and resold the + and - of dimmer leds?

Yes, I have a multimeter. So If there isn't signal it mean that the weld is bad?
Give me A day and I'll check values and post here.
Last edited by ripster on 07 Jul 2012, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

frankbartoli

06 Jul 2012, 07:11

ok thanks. But I do not think my problem are the reverse polarity of leds because they flashing and sometimes they turns on. For me or are bad leds or the contact is not good...

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 20:16

Damn, had to replace the batteries in my Fluke.

I get 1.6 to 18V Voltage drop at the +/ground points in Breath mode.
Last edited by ripster on 08 Jul 2012, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

WRXChris

07 Jul 2012, 22:03

frankbartoli wrote:ok thanks. But I do not think my problem are the reverse polarity of leds because they flashing and sometimes they turns on. For me or are bad leds or the contact is not good...
You are correct; if the LED's polarity was reversed it wouldn't light at all.

Interestingly, reversed LEDs act like weak photodiodes and can be used as light sensors. See here for a fun experiment:

http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-as ... /?ALLSTEPS

ripster

08 Jul 2012, 01:55

Another experiment. Hit it with 500V.
Also note my voltages are low because I just realized ai had it in Breathe mode and don't feel like remeasuring. But you get the idea.

ajx

10 Jul 2012, 21:08

i got also ' and ` LEDS dimmers than others
is that normal?

frankbartoli

12 Jul 2012, 23:34

ripster wrote:This soldering guide ain't bad.
the correct link is http://www.elexp.com/t_solder.htm

ripster

13 Jul 2012, 00:03

ajx wrote:i got also ' and ` LEDS dimmers than others
is that normal?
That is McRip effect. Take off the keys in that area and compare.
frankbartoli wrote:
ripster wrote:This soldering guide ain't bad.
the correct link is http://www.elexp.com/t_solder.htm

No L in HTML?

Aw L!

maximAL

13 Jul 2012, 11:02

I got myself a second one, and this time it seems to be fine.
Only the key coating seems noticeably thicker this time.

ripster

22 Jul 2012, 00:45

All the KBTalking Modes in PICS!

Nobody RTFM anyway.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... led_modes/

Scott_Tarlow

24 Jul 2012, 23:24

kinda wish i got a pure instead of a race =(. oh well maybe ill purchase one eventually.

maximAL

27 Jul 2012, 18:29

So much for how durable the key coating is:
KBTalking Pure peeling key coating
KBTalking Pure peeling key coating
DSC_0061.jpg (692.16 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
Admittedly, the coating looked a bit unclean (little "folds") before and i always hit ctlr-left with the nail of my pinky.

Back in a year with unlabeled translucent caps :D

Return to “Keyboards”