Unicomp UNI0T52 122-key TermEmu - Buckling Springs?

babychoy

16 Jul 2012, 11:08

Hi everyone. Couldn't find a thread here discussing this particular keyboard (please link me up if there's one) and no luck searching Google either for additional info. There's this Unicomp UNI0T52 122 Terminal Emulator up on eBay and I'm pretty sure most of you have already seen this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unicomp-122-Key ... 4d02a3d1bb

I wonder why it's being sold at such a low price. Does this use buckling springs? Wouldn't be surprised if this got domes 'cause of the price. I'm also assuming it's PC-compatible since it's PS/2. Are there certain drawbacks - aside from being a 5250 with Shift+Fx F13-F24 keys - that earned this keyboard such a price tag?

Thanks.

riffraff

16 Jul 2012, 23:01

Should have buckling springs. It's a good price if you're looking for a large 122 key terminal board.

urbanus

16 Jul 2012, 23:20

babychoy wrote:I wonder why it's being sold at such a low price.
Probably not PC compatible, and the seller has already stated in their FAQ section that they won't discuss compatibility. Good sign, that. :/

nathanscribe

16 Jul 2012, 23:25

You could do a lot worse than contact Unicomp. I can't seem to find the info on their revamped site, but I'm sure they used to say something about that on the product page. If not, just ask them.

urbanus

16 Jul 2012, 23:37

nathanscribe wrote:You could do a lot worse than contact Unicomp. I can't seem to find the info on their revamped site, but I'm sure they used to say something about that on the product page. If not, just ask them.
Yeah, you could ask in their Live Chat during business hours. I searched their knowledge base for this model, found nothing.

And yes, they used to say on their product page something to the effect that their newer terminal boards send PC-compatible scan codes, but they don't have that on their new website.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jul 2012, 00:02

@babychoy
Something went wrong with your last post here. My mistake, hit a wrong button. Please repost if you remember what it was.

babychoy

17 Jul 2012, 01:24

webwit wrote:@babychoy
Something went wrong with your last post here. My mistake, hit a wrong button. Please repost if you remember what it was.
Thanks, webwit. Lemme try.
nathanscribe wrote:
You could do a lot worse than contact Unicomp. I can't seem to find the info on their revamped site, but I'm sure they used to say something about that on the product page. If not, just ask them.
urbanus wrote:
And yes, they used to say on their product page something to the effect that their newer terminal boards send PC-compatible scan codes, but they don't have that on their new website.
I think the info was in their old Yahoo store; that site has since been taken down ("Under Construction" it says, but we all know it's not coming back). I'll try to reach Unicomp regarding this one, hope they could shed some light on this. It's quite a bargain and would be a great way to get anyone a big-ass keyboard with buckling springs so long as compatibility issues don't get in the way.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Really appreciate it. ;)

bazemk1979

17 Jul 2012, 04:14

no that one is rubber membrane, same seller has the buckling springs new ones for the same price, here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unicomp-Termina ... 564b1688ee

AKIMbO

17 Jul 2012, 04:22

How do you know the difference bazemk1979?

dorkvader

17 Jul 2012, 05:45

They have the same part number (UNI0T52) (Blazemk's one has that same part number as part of the description).

Here's what they had to say on their old website.
http://web.archive.org/web/201107241401 ... erkey.html

Keywords:
Emulator keyboard require software for supporting an IBM PS/2 and equivalent 122 key keyboard. The new PC/5250 is an exception, because it uses all PC codes and utilizes the standard keyboard driver.
If the one in the link is a 5250-model, I imagine this'd be a good deal.

babychoy

17 Jul 2012, 13:31

dorkvader wrote:They have the same part number (UNI0T52) (Blazemk's one has that same part number as part of the description).

Here's what they had to say on their old website.
http://web.archive.org/web/201107241401 ... erkey.html

Keywords:
Emulator keyboard require software for supporting an IBM PS/2 and equivalent 122 key keyboard. The new PC/5250 is an exception, because it uses all PC codes and utilizes the standard keyboard driver.
If the one in the link is a 5250-model, I imagine this'd be a good deal.
I see they also offered a QuietKey version. That must be it.
I better ask the seller. :)

bazemk1979

18 Jul 2012, 00:09

AKIMbO wrote:How do you know the difference bazemk1979?
I know because I asked the seller, the one I posted is buckling springs, also I know that too cause I asked the seller.

Return to “Keyboards”