I just found a 1988 IBM Model M

Julle

11 Mar 2011, 16:42

I came across this Model M in a local recycling facility. It is very dirty, and I'm giving it the best of my TLC as we speak.
This is hardcore!

The only problem so far has been that pressing the letter H produces the letter Y. I need some help troubleshooting, where should I start?

Anyway, this thread is worthless without pics, so here we go!
Kuva0120.jpg
Kuva0120.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
Kuva0121.jpg
Kuva0121.jpg (123.47 KiB) Viewed 5537 times

db_Iodine

11 Mar 2011, 16:47

Man that keyboard is almost as old as I am. And with SWE/FI layout that's a fantastic find! Hopefully you can fix the problems it has.

lootbag

11 Mar 2011, 16:55

This reminds me of when I found my Model M at my father's workplace in the back of a closet.
And yes, I had to spend a good amount of time cleaning it up but when that was all said and done, it was good as new.
Hopefully, you can get that H produces Y issue sorted out; I won't be much help because I do not know much technical stuff.

(PS I am typing on the Model M right now :D)

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2011, 16:57

I bet another key is stuck.

Julle

11 Mar 2011, 17:11

Oh crap. Testing this on Aquakeytest showed more similar flaws: numpad 0 and comma produce numpad 5 and 6, both G and H produce different letters, left Alt doesn't seem to work...

I hope this isn't FUBAR!

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2011, 17:15

I'm still betting one of the keys is making contact without you noticing it. Hit them keys, train 'em.

Julle

11 Mar 2011, 18:26

I've now removed the keys (lovely 2-part caps) and 80 percent of what I believe is 20 years of encrusted cum and pizza drippings. I hope messing with the keys will help.

Webwit, I believe you're right about the stuck key. While I removed the keys, I noticed that the up arrow was slightly stuck and out of place. I really hope this helps. I've been looking for an M for such a long time.
Kuva0122.jpg
Kuva0122.jpg (123.81 KiB) Viewed 5506 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

11 Mar 2011, 19:26

Julle wrote:of what I believe is 20 years of encrusted cum and pizza drippings
:shock: Thats the worst part about this hobby. The amount of filthy stuff you find inside of keyboards. Worst I had so far have been maggots.

lootbag

11 Mar 2011, 19:29

Aww gross.
Mine was bad, but yours is worse.
I used compressed air and a lot of Q tips to clean the my Model M.
How do these keyboards get so gunky anyways?
The stuff you find underneath the keys is crazy.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

11 Mar 2011, 19:31

lootbag wrote: How do these keyboards get so gunky anyways?
The stuff you find underneath the keys is crazy.
They last forever! Meaning you can literally find 30 years of dirty inside in the worst case scenario.

Julle

11 Mar 2011, 20:28

Interesting. Now the keys that previously malfunctioned won't function at all. I'd crack this board open in a heartbeat, but I don't have a tool small enough to open the bolts (cue Ripster showing off his).

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2011, 20:46

I've seen lam47 open it with a plastic pan.

You take the cap of the back, and heat the pen with a lighter to a point where the plastic gets soft. You push it down on the bolt and wait till it gets hard again. You turn the pen. You break the pen. (When I tried it) Oh well.

ripster

11 Mar 2011, 20:54

The Asian version keeps typing R instead of L.

Julle

12 Mar 2011, 16:16

So. the board has had time to rest, it's all cleaned up. I have tried looking for a stuck key. Still I have nonfunctional keys on G, H, Ä, left ALT, numpad 0 and numpad comma.

What could cause something like this? Bad rivets - could a bolt mod save this thing? Could it have a broken membrane? Is the controller faulty? This board is too nice to give up.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Mar 2011, 16:32

Try cleaning the contacts on the ribbon cable connecting into the controller.

The Model M is such a simple design that unless something has gone wrong with the controller electronics, you can fix just about anything. Even then, you can get your hands on a new controller from somewhere or other.

ripster

12 Mar 2011, 16:51

1968? I never could understand the EU date system.

keyb_gr

12 Mar 2011, 18:57

Looking at that label, it wants to be put in its proper place badly. Just curious - are there any proven methods for that? Would sixty's (with hairdryer) apply here?

As for the functional problems, these are odd. Normally I'd say spill damage (the Y/H cross-linking would be an indication, too), but the non-functional keys are spread over the board quite a bit. 'fraid it'll need a bolt mod and membrane cleaning. Obviously sucks if that's your first M...

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Mar 2011, 01:10

I think the hairdryer method would work. User "mass" here has reported that he removes labels with a hairdryer for custom case dye jobs too. I just wouldn't know how to best re-apply them, but that should be the easier part.

Return to “Keyboards”