NKRO, is it really important?

Crazy9000

12 Mar 2011, 04:25

NewGuy

12 Mar 2011, 04:31

Crazy is right, you're playing a game like that with only a keyboard!?

But yes, perhaps there are some situations where greater than 6KRO is required, but I would put money on the vast majority of people that claim to require NKRO don't even approach 6KRO in use.

Crazy9000

12 Mar 2011, 04:36

NewGuy wrote:Crazy is right, you're playing a game like that with only a keyboard!?

But yes, perhaps there are some situations where greater than 6KRO is required, but I would put money on the vast majority of people that claim to require NKRO don't even approach 6KRO in use.
100% agree :).

keyboardlover

12 Mar 2011, 17:05

IMO, to get the TRUE benefit of NKRO, you need to have 4 NKRO keyboards and you need to be Vishnu.

ripster

12 Mar 2011, 17:17

So why does OCN push PS/2 so much?

The conclusion isn't that bad but the rest of it is B.S.

[QUOTE=Manyak;6009418]

PS/2 or USB?
PS/2 wins on three fronts: First, it supports full n-key rollover. Second, PS/2 keyboards aren't polled, but are completely interrupt based. And third, it is impossible for it to be delayed by the USB bus being used by other devices. There are two types of USB transfer modes - the interrupt transfer mode (USB polls keyboard, when key is sensed the USB controller sends the interrupt to the CPU), and the isochronous transfer mode, which reserves a certain amount of bandwidth for the keyboard with a guaranteed latency on the bus. Unfortunately, there are absolutely no keyboards made that use the latter, because special controllers would have to be used, thus making it cost prohibitive.

So if your keyboard supports both PS/2 and USB, and your PC has a PS/2 port, there's no reason not to use it.[/QUOTE]

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Mar 2011, 17:54

You will have to ask that on OCN.

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Mar 2011, 17:55

keyboardlover wrote:IMO, to get the TRUE benefit of NKRO, you need to have 4 NKRO keyboards and you need to be Vishnu.

Where did you find the picture of Miss Keyboard Oracle?

ripster

12 Mar 2011, 18:14

webwit wrote:You will have to ask that on OCN.
Crazy9000 is a mod there. The internet knows no boundaries.

prava

12 Mar 2011, 19:17

Marketing at its best. Remember how in psu's single-rail become a "feature" when they are in fact a potential-problem? This is just the same. Its also funny when you hear about surround heaphones...only to find they are stereo as 99.99% of the headphones out there (but yeah, they include a crappy usb card :lol: :lol: ).

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Mar 2011, 19:22

Well, there can be something said in favor of NKRO too. That is if you don't do it, but still want to allow some gaming combinations, you get solutions which allow some keys to be pressed simultaneously. But now there're making assumptions to which keys these are, and they may be wrong sometimes. You might not need NKRO all the time, in its full capacity, but you may need it for a single combination which you happen to have to type but is not done correctly by a non-NKRO keyboard. In other words: it will always work, and you never have to worry.

pita

12 Mar 2011, 20:10

gimmick for most of us.

Dogi

12 Mar 2011, 21:28

IIDX and Poppin music could both go above the 6 key limit when played with a keyboard. Though if you were a major player of those games you would buy a proper pad I suppose.

godly_music

12 Mar 2011, 23:48

If 2KRO is already enough for 99% of games, anything past 3KRO is completely unnecessary. At least that's how it is for me. I don't play any "stepping" games though as I think they are the epitome of dumb. :shock:

JBert

13 Mar 2011, 00:07

Theoretically and practically, you absolutely, positively, never need NKRO unless you need to detect when the user has pressed all keys down like in the event of flipping his keyboard over and standing on it, or the keyboard (and potentially its user) being buried by an earthquake.

Similarly, 6KRO means you support combinations of any six keys. When combinations starts to fail, the KRO label should be degraded to a lower KRO count up to 2KRO and thus wouldn't be 6KRO no more. (BTW, if it would hit 1KRO, you'd have a shitty firmware or a non-matrix keyboard.) Anything else is obviously marketing BS as is known by anyone except the rubber-dome-without-springs-preferring masses.

If anyone asks, just check if they could live with 10KRO. Detecting the head-on-keyboard state or sausage-fingered user is better left to multi-touch sensitive touch screens.

nebiki

13 Mar 2011, 19:55

as long as i can type WD! at once, i'm fine. never needed more than 3 keys at once, although sometimes i end up strafing and turning, so accidently i might need 4, because i wouldn't want the 4th key to be not registered in that case.

edit: actually, that's not really the case. if i strafe+turn, i can't press 1-4 either way, so it would be physically impossible for me to hit the fourth key. subconsciousness is a strange thing.

NewGuy

13 Mar 2011, 21:10

Dogi wrote:IIDX and Poppin music could both go above the 6 key limit when played with a keyboard. Though if you were a major player of those games you would buy a proper pad I suppose.
While the games use more than 6 keys, do they ever require you to hold down 7+ keys at once? I had a quick look at some videos on insane difficulties and don't think I saw more than 3 keys used simultaneously.
godly_music wrote:If 2KRO is already enough for 99% of games, anything past 3KRO is completely unnecessary. At least that's how it is for me. I don't play any "stepping" games though as I think they are the epitome of dumb. :shock:
Stepping games?

rpgman1

13 Mar 2011, 21:38

Probably games like DDR or something if by stepping games.

Zandara

13 Mar 2011, 23:13

o2jam or SDO need them. Not for RTS gamers with NKRO.

Moth

13 Mar 2011, 23:32

Thread TL;DR: No.

rockccf

14 Mar 2011, 03:58

I just connect the keyboard to PS2 port since my mobo got one but seriously, I hardly press more than 3 or 4 keys at one time.

Crazy9000

14 Mar 2011, 16:59

ripster wrote:So why does OCN push PS/2 so much?
PS/2 gets you into the BIOS quicker to overclock. :P

ripster

15 Mar 2011, 02:30

UEFI>BIOS

Jeez, OCN is SO behind the times.

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 02:34

I HAVE BECOME DEATH; THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS!

The only keyboard I've had any problems with playing computer games is my Unicomp Customizer, where there is blocking when I play Crysis.

Crazy9000

15 Mar 2011, 02:40

ripster wrote:UEFI>BIOS

Jeez, OCN is SO behind the times.
People who make motherboards are behind the times :cry: . Some of the new x58 boards have it though, I'm thinking of getting one.

So far I haven't seen anyone else actually post why they would need more then 6kro, so maybe I'll just sit in my own little ps/2 NKRO corner :P.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Mar 2011, 02:42

PS/2 rules. The i7 I bought last year has PS/2.

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 02:51

Is that a processor? That last cpu I bought sucks ass, and the people doing RMAs know shit!

PS/2 sucks; hotswap is good.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Mar 2011, 02:56

I hotswap my PS/2 all the time, cause that's how I roll.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Mar 2011, 03:01

We really should add an All about PS/2 subforum.

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 03:04

I run my PC with a malfunctioning CPU! You can call me Mr. Cool

lucidlts

15 Mar 2011, 10:25

NKRO is not really that important unless you're a gamer who needs to press more than 6 keys which apparently i dont see much game with such requirements. :(

Return to “Keyboards”