M13 usb adapter

fossala
Elite +1

27 Dec 2012, 10:16

I have an industrial m13 in the post and it should be with me this week :). Can anyone recomend me a dual ps/2 to USB adapter that will work with it? I'm using a blue cube for my IBM boards but my usb ports are too close together to use 2 of them.

Joe Chip

27 Dec 2012, 10:51

You could grab yourself an extra usb port in order to get some USB spaces.

fossala
Elite +1

27 Dec 2012, 10:58

I'm using a laptop hoocked up to a monitor as a PC at the moment.

geekabit

27 Dec 2012, 11:21

I currently use the cheapest one I could find (Eminent EM1117 USB to PS/2 Converter). It costs 6.50 Euro at the local computer store, but is has a bit of a quirk. It works fine for a couple of days, but then it starts inserting random letters after every letter you type. When you unplug/replug it, it's fine for another couple of days. If you frequently power off or don't mind the replugging every few days, it's fine (and cheap).

Joe Chip

27 Dec 2012, 11:24

I did a little google search and found some links, i hope that they can help you.

Clicky keyboards recommends this adapter. Link The whole link has some really good information about the keyboards, it was a great read.

I also found this geekhack Link that has some suggestions.

You could also connect the PS/2 connection to the blue cube then get your self a small usb male/female extention that you can connect to the PC.

geekabit

27 Dec 2012, 12:11

For my IBM Model M keyboard I use a Eminent SB2080 USB to PS/2 Converter. It's a little more expensive than the Eminent one (16 Euro at the local computer store), but it has no flaws that I know of. It also happily supplies the 100mA current that this old keyboard needs.

fossala
Elite +1

27 Dec 2012, 15:12

Thanks guys for your input. I couldn't find any of the ones you guys recomended so I picked the only one on ebay.co.uk that said it was an active one and dual. I'll report back on how it works.

riffraff

28 Dec 2012, 05:04

I know this comes a bit late, but StarTech makes great adapters. They have a keyboard/mouse to USB that has good reviews (Model USBPS2PC).

fossala
Elite +1

28 Dec 2012, 10:02

Thanks, I'll look for one if this one doesn't work.

fossala
Elite +1

31 Dec 2012, 16:20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260946164706? ... 1497.l2649
Just turned up, works with my Model M. Nice and cheap at 3gbp shipped. Will test it with the m13 when ever it turns up.

Multiple

05 Jan 2013, 17:05

I had a black M13 a long time ago, which worked fine with a powerbook using a USB converter. But, I think it was finicky on regular PCs, perhaps because the mac would give more power over USB than specified by the USB standard. I still have this problem today with some keyboards using PCs and laptops, using USB 2.0, but never when connected through a USB 3.0 port.

Return to “Keyboards”