[Sound Test] Can you guess which switch?

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2015, 23:35

Microphones need to be set to the right gain, too. That's just as critical in audio as getting the right light and exposure is in photography. You want to get a good clear *loud* sound (maximum signal to noise ratio) without any clipping. Look for a control something like this:
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 10.30.11 pm.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 10.30.11 pm.png (39.62 KiB) Viewed 860 times
And ride that gain control while typing on the keyboard until you get a nice clear sound. My Meteor Mic is pretty well behaved and I can get good typing recordings from it at a plain 50% level. In fact that's how I always do it, so my keyboard samples are comparable with eachother. But you might need something higher on yours. Also: this microphone is completely manual, no auto level adjustment here. Just the way I like it!

Ace
§

11 Mar 2015, 23:36

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: — maybe that keyboard really is incredibly quiet.
Trust me, it's quieter then anything I've heard in a while.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Makes you wonder why the replacement model is so much louder — it's that lack of consistency that makes rubber domes so bad.
I agree. 002 actually voiced what I've been thinking for a long time: Rubber Domes aren't bad across the board. Like you said, it's that consistency that really make most people hate them. I found this board attractive for two reasons:
1. It's quiet
2. It's new (do it doesn't feel like crap)
Oh! Also because it was free!

There are actually many excellent Rubber Domes out there. I still find the Razer DeathStalker uncomfortably attractive, although that may be due to my gaming side (which is much larger than that of most people on this forum).

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

14 Mar 2015, 02:43

No offense but Razer DeathStalker is trash. Seriously, avoid it.

Ace
§

15 Mar 2015, 09:34

Spikebolt wrote: No offense but Razer DeathStalker is trash. Seriously, avoid it.
You're not offending me. It's not like I sponsored the board or invested in the company, or even complemented it. I just said it looked uncomfortably attractive and that I was tempted to buy it :lol:
Thanks for the tip though. It's what the majority of the gaming community says. Although, despite being mechanical elitists, the gaming community knows little of quality keyboards. :geek:

Return to “Keyboards”