[POLL] Which thumb do you use for the space bar?

Which thumb do you use for the space bar?

Left handed - left thumb
8%
Left handed - right thumb
7%
Right handed - left thumb
31%
Right handed - right thumb
36%
Both at the same time
No votes
Random
7%
Other?
12%

Total votes: 91

Engicoder

16 Feb 2016, 21:24

:shock: Just noticed that my space bar has a shiny spots on both sides to my right thumb my be getting a little on the side

jerue

16 Feb 2016, 22:16

shreebles wrote: Left thumb, when I'm paying attention.

Here comes the shocker. RIGHT INDEX FINGER when I'm not :shock:

I believe it comes from the position of my right hand when the keyboard is positioned too far to the left. E.g. when using a fullsize keyboard (all my life before 2011)...
I actually do this too. Right index finger. Right. Now. Using. Index finger for spaces. It feels goooood.

Trying to train myself to use my right thumb, however. May consider left thumb...

TacticalCoder

16 Feb 2016, 22:34

t!ng wrote: Interesting to know, since I often see right handed people using their right thumb when I'm using my left one.
Right-handed right-thumb. My left thumb's "home position" is on the modifier at the left of the spacebar (tiny spacebar on a HHKB Pro JP) and that modifier is the one I use the most often (on purpose). I do also use the modifiers at the right of the spacebar (with my right thumb) but not as often as those on the left. I did setup everything like that on purpose: to me minimizing finger travel is key (ah ah ah, "is key") :roll:

obfuscated

17 Feb 2016, 00:34

Left thumb, the right one is on the enter key :)
Standard layouts should be banned as crippling :)
Just trolling :)

JinzoDefiler

18 Feb 2016, 20:42

I am differnt I use my right index finger when typing a lot but in games I tend to use my left thumb.

geekabit

22 Feb 2016, 19:40

Right thumb mostly (I'm right handed), unless I can type a word using only my left hand, like 'database' or 'test'. Then I use my left thumb. This is a bit of a problem since I mapped the left half of the spacebar (split spacebar) to enter.

KRKS

23 Feb 2016, 09:51

Right handed - left thumb, but I can alternate or use right thumb when I want to(in rhythm games). I also use both shifts(I use the one closer, which isn't the proper way but w/e).

nisilhum

31 Mar 2016, 10:17

mostly left thumb but i sometimes switch to right thumb if i get pain there

zuglufttier

31 Mar 2016, 10:24

Of course, I'm using my right index finger :D Before actually looking at my hands while typing I would have said that I use my right thumb.

Also, I use right shift exclusively.

Edit: The more I think about it, I might also use my left thumb quite often. Seems to depend a bit on the keyboard...

Plasmodium

31 Mar 2016, 12:04

Hm, random comes closest out of the available options, but it's not really random per se. It depends what letters my other fingers have been typing before the space. Of course, in the past week or so I've been training myself to use left thumb only, because I've been using an Ergodox, and that's where space is on my layout (even though I'm right-handed).

My housemate, though, now he often does some sort of bizarre wrist flick to hit space with his pinky finger. Weird...

Return to “Keyboards”