Xerox with Tactile Green Alps

E3E

19 Aug 2016, 15:05

terrycherry wrote: Great experience sharing. I love this kind of response.
What a surprised. We can see the brand new 6085 with box. Is it SKCM brown?
So the 65DB is not having the SKCM brown keyboard only.
When you got this from 90s it has the SKCM Green inside.
Always happy to share. :)
I have decided to order the NIB 6085 keyboard as the seller has people interested in his 6085 equipment and systems, but since he knew I liked it, decided to offer it to me first. It should be coming in soon so I'll let you know. I think it will almost certainly have SKCM Brown.

I think that the original 6085 keyboards all had detachable cables while the DB models had non-detachable cables.

It seems so. The DocuTech and 6085 keyboards from the 90s seem like they're identical. I think every model up to 1989 has SKCM Brown, then SKCM Green starting in 1990.
chiptea wrote: Wow, amazing. Goes to show how far being knowledgable and friendly goes! :lol:
Still, considering how rare these things are, $300 isn't too bad at all. I'd love to get more info on that NIB 6085 though ;)
Yeah, it was a really pleasant correspondence. I agree, for what they are, the price isn't bad at all. :D

Myoth

30 Jul 2017, 21:31

These keyboards are really nice, too bad a lot of these will be scavenged to get those Neon Greens Alps. :(

E3E

30 Jul 2017, 21:35

Myoth wrote: These keyboards are really nice, too bad a lot of these will be scavenged to get those Neon Greens Alps. :(
Really unhappy that these became "meme" switches, honestly.

Myoth

30 Jul 2017, 21:45

E3E wrote:
Myoth wrote: These keyboards are really nice, too bad a lot of these will be scavenged to get those Neon Greens Alps. :(
The problem with these is that people are going to pay a sh*t ton just to have the rarest switch to vent about it online...
and when there is money, no place for history nor "respect"

I am thinking the same about Beamsprings, I have found a System 32 with a beamspring inside, it will probably get scavenged to only get the Beamspring though this piece is museum-tier :( I'd love to get it, it's just too far and too heavy and even too big for me to handle. I am really hoping someone of this community with good intentions will get it :|

E3E

30 Jul 2017, 22:17

Myoth wrote:
E3E wrote:
The problem with these is that people are going to pay a sh*t ton just to have the rarest switch to vent about it online...
and when there is money, no place for history nor "respect"

I am thinking the same about Beamsprings, I have found a System 32 with a beamspring inside, it will probably get scavenged to only get the Beamspring though this piece is museum-tier :( I'd love to get it, it's just too far and too heavy and even too big for me to handle. I am really hoping someone of this community with good intentions will get it :|
That's the worst thing. You can never be too sure who will end up with something you appreciated for more than just a single component. I've had many people ask me for my DocuTechs, and I ended up budging and sold my least favorite one to someone who likely threw its remains in a ditch somewhere. It was the worst feeling! Never again.

Yeah, the human attraction to things simply out of rarity is an annoying one. Not saying that I don't get struck by the "ooh shiny" effect myself, but it can get seriously shallow.

Heh, there are a few Alps switches that you can get in mass quantities that are more rare than these too, as far as I have seen. For instance, Alps SKCL Cream might be common as a space bar switch for SKCL Green keyboards, but boards that have these in significant quantities are more rare than the amount of Xerox 6085s and DocuTechs I've counted.

Of course, the somewhat little known SKCL Striped Amber is the rarest, with only 3 documented cases. If you're just chasing rarity though, you're missing out on so much more.

That System 32 you found sounds really really cool. It would be a shame for someone to separate the beamspring from it just for the sake of owning a beamspring. There's a lot of hype around those as well. I mean, I guess you can say that's why they call the people who ask for keyboards on vintage keyboard forums "keyboard poachers"; it's really not an inaccurate term. :|

Return to “Keyboards”