IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

jensma

04 May 2024, 20:32

tactica wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:56
OK, I guess cropped versions of #1-4 and #7-8 plus the others as is will do. Not bad :)

You do the honours and get all the fame & glory for the feat :)
I'm way too stupid to add the information to the wiki. It would be my honor if you could do that :oops:

tactica

06 May 2024, 14:19

Heh. I was thinking of the ITW switch when I suggested you to add the info yourself. Identifying an Alps clone is beyond my abilities, so far I haven't found a match in the wiki either. In a worst case scenario it will have to be filed as another unknown. :?

jensma

07 May 2024, 18:28

Yet another switch that need identification :( wiki/Codegen_Technology_CG-84A1

thefarside

08 May 2024, 00:02

jensma wrote:

They look like blue alps.

tactica

08 May 2024, 05:29

jensma wrote:
You have to open at least one, and possibly the one under the space bar too as the spring something is likely to be different. External looks alone don't help identifying Alps clones, and the pictures you have submitted don't even provide complete details of the external looks either.

Then there's those random colours across the board that I hope are due to aging plastics and not mixed up switches...

thefarside

08 May 2024, 12:22

The switches and varied colors looks exactly like my Omni Key 102 and Focus FK-555 with blue alps, along with the stamps on the housing, but it couldn’t hurt to open them up :)

jensma

08 May 2024, 13:37

tactica wrote:
08 May 2024, 05:29
jensma wrote:
You have to open at least one, and possibly the one under the space bar too as the spring something is likely to be different. External looks alone don't help identifying Alps clones, and the pictures you have submitted don't even provide complete details of the external looks either.

Then there's those random colours across the board that I hope are due to aging plastics and not mixed up switches...
Alrighty! I just added a stabilizer 3D model to the wiki since I broke three of them when disassembling the keyboard. They are extremely brittle :( Then I desoldered a switch to open it but it really seems to be an Alps? There was a logo on the bottom, pics are here: https://imgur.com/a/61H8e1B

I think the odd one is just discolored & the space bar feels exactly the same as the other switches.

Innards: https://imgur.com/a/ylgixcD

thefarside

08 May 2024, 14:25

Looks like blue alps! I have the same discoloration in the stems as you do:
IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 2182 times

tactica

08 May 2024, 15:24

OK, my bad, they're the real thing. I'm sorry your stabilisers broke in the process... :roll:

The extra pictures would be useful in the Alps SKCM Blue article.

jensma

08 May 2024, 15:57

tactica wrote:
08 May 2024, 15:24
OK, my bad, they're the real thing. I'm sorry your stabilisers broke in the process... :roll:

The extra pictures would be useful in the Alps SKCM Blue article.
Feel free to use them =) As I said, I'm stupid when it comes to stuff like this. And no problem about the stabilisers, I just printed new ones.

tactica

10 May 2024, 22:37

The keyboard with the unknown yellowish Alps clones is from a MicroOrchid PC3 portable. I have updated the wiki article and emailed MicroOrchid asking for details. Too bad the email link for most subsidiaries is the one and the same as for the original manufacturer in China, so in the end it will be up to them if they decide to share any details.

Edit: the email returned a DKIM failure. @jensma I suggest you try your luck with the German contact address, see here.

Never mind, the site no longer exists. It's strange they're keeping their homepage and pointing people to dead contact links.

jensma

11 May 2024, 16:47

tactica wrote:
10 May 2024, 22:37
The keyboard with the unknown yellowish Alps clones is from a MicroOrchid PC3 portable. I have updated the wiki article and emailed MicroOrchid asking for details. Too bad the email link for most subsidiaries is the one and the same as for the original manufacturer in China, so in the end it will be up to them if they decide to share any details.

Edit: the email returned a DKIM failure. @jensma I suggest you try your luck with the German contact address, see here.

Never mind, the site no longer exists. It's strange they're keeping their homepage and pointing people to dead contact links.
Woah, thanks for the investigative work!
Yeah, that German location is no more. There is another IT oriented company at it's place, but I highly doubt that hey know anything about the keyboard.

tactica

11 May 2024, 22:25

Someone not using Gmail might try the generic email address just in case it's a Google thing and there's someone still there.

jensma

14 May 2024, 13:00

any idea about this switch? just found in an olympia cd 102

jensma

15 May 2024, 12:11

just disassembled the whole thing, seems to be an alps spring bridge with a rod mount. I'll take some pictures for the wiki later this day :)
edit: I just realised that the switch is already documented by pictures :)

Return to “Keyboards”