IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Mar 2017, 03:31

taylorswiftttttt wrote: Have you ever seen a buckling spring? That's definitely not buckling spring. Looks similar to futaba clicky
Please don't try to identify stuff when you have no idea what you are talking about, that shit pisses me off enough on reddit, lets keep it off of here. Thanks.

Mr.Nobody

25 Mar 2017, 11:50

Yesterday, I was watching "History of Airbus" and I noticed this:

So, it seems the mysterious keyboard is some sort of CAD software controlling device.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Mar 2017, 13:15

taylorswiftttttt

25 Mar 2017, 22:38

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Nobody

26 Mar 2017, 01:39

Thanks Beardsmore, it's a pity I can't read Japanese yet, learning the basics now. BTW, Japanese characters are mulitated or mis-spelled Chinese ones, they are really harsh to my Chinese eyes.

taylorswiftttttt

26 Mar 2017, 04:11

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 Mar 2017, 04:12

taylorswiftttttt wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: Yesterday, I was watching "History of Airbus" and I noticed this:

So, it seems the mysterious keyboard is some sort of CAD software controlling device.
Is that a Model M in the picture too?
no. it is an ibm RT keyboard. It uses a dome with slider switch made by brother sometimes referred to as prototopre.

Mr.Nobody

26 Mar 2017, 06:15

no. it is an ibm RT keyboard. It uses a dome with slider switch made by brother sometimes referred to as prototopre.
Sharp eye, and it makes sense, both keyboards in the picture are from Japan.

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Mar 2017, 15:11

mike52787 wrote: no. it is an ibm RT keyboard. It uses a dome with slider switch made by brother sometimes referred to as prototopre.
Is Brother confirmed in this instance? We do have [wiki]IBM RT E57888[/wiki] on the wiki, but the OEM is not known.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 Mar 2017, 16:35

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
mike52787 wrote: no. it is an ibm RT keyboard. It uses a dome with slider switch made by brother sometimes referred to as prototopre.
Is Brother confirmed in this instance? We do have [wiki]IBM RT E57888[/wiki] on the wiki, but the OEM is not known.
Only speculation on my part, however the sliders in this have a pretty much identical look to the ones found commonly on brother typewriters. Another reason I can back my claim is IBM's partnership with Brother for some of the IBM JP boards such as the 5576-003.

pixelheresy

27 Mar 2017, 20:29

Found a listing for this... looks very familiar. Has a big AT-style DIN connector. The lock lights look familiar, but no identifying markings.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

27 Mar 2017, 21:06

pixelheresy wrote:Found a listing for this... looks very familiar. Has a big AT-style DIN connector. The lock lights look familiar, but no identifying markings.

rubberdome shit, dont bother

pixelheresy

27 Mar 2017, 21:08

mike52787 wrote:
pixelheresy wrote:Found a listing for this... looks very familiar. Has a big AT-style DIN connector. The lock lights look familiar, but no identifying markings.

Must be confusing it with something else. No wonder I couldn't find anything too much like it in the wiki.

Cheers!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

27 Mar 2017, 21:09

pixelheresy wrote:
mike52787 wrote:

Must be confusing it with something else. No wonder I couldn't find anything too much like it in the wiki.

Cheers!
no problemo

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Mar 2017, 21:57

Same LED panel as the [wiki]Monterey K208[/wiki] — could be a Monterey keyboard.

bezio22

28 Mar 2017, 20:09

Hey! Just finished cleaning this keyboard.
http://imgur.com/a/h1Fxz
Any idea what it is? And also is it AT/XT?

Cyberovca

28 Mar 2017, 21:40

Can someone identify this keyboard only by this picture?
Attachments
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 5938 times

ohaimark
Kingpin

28 Mar 2017, 23:51

Those scalloped peninsulas between the Ctrl and Alt keys are bizarre! Typically they're flat.

Mr.Nobody

29 Mar 2017, 01:14

@Cyberovca
This keyboard is really intriguing, it seems somebody got the idea to make a switchable ANSI/ISO or qwerty/qwertz keyboard...collectible for me.

Harshmallow

29 Mar 2017, 01:22

I was going to guess Fujitsu FKB4700 series with Peerless, but it has a bank of lock lights so that may not be the case. The case shape and proportions do remind me of that board, though the peninsulas as Mark put it are also an oddity!

Chyros

29 Mar 2017, 01:31

Harshmallow wrote: I was going to guess Fujitsu FKB4700 series with Peerless, but it has a bank of lock lights so that may not be the case. The case shape and proportions do remind me of that board, though the peninsulas as Mark put it are also an oddity!
Definitely not an FKB4700. I really don't know, but my gut feeling is space invaders.

Harshmallow

29 Mar 2017, 01:43

Something with black alps and those common, faded lasered keycaps you see on AT101w's :P That's my second guess.

Chyros

29 Mar 2017, 02:08

Harshmallow wrote: Something with black alps and those common, faded lasered keycaps you see on AT101w's :P That's my second guess.
I'd guess the caps are dyesub PBT, actually xD .

Harshmallow

29 Mar 2017, 03:21

Chyros wrote:
Harshmallow wrote: Something with black alps and those common, faded lasered keycaps you see on AT101w's :P That's my second guess.
You win.

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Mar 2017, 09:35

bezio22 wrote: Hey! Just finished cleaning this keyboard.
http://imgur.com/a/h1Fxz
Any idea what it is? And also is it AT/XT?
AT/XT involves a slide switch, and I can't see whether it has one or not.

Those keyboards are still a mystery. Known FCC grantees include Micronorth, Podworld (PD and maybe PDC, also ProWorld it seems) and Keypot (KPT). They are often unbranded. Those are "TEC" switches; no explanation for "TEC" has been found so far.

The PCB might give you a clue, as they often have a model number (and generally nothing more). I can't see that from the photos either.

I don't recall if I've seen that exact shape before or not; it's very similar to the [wiki]Oriental Tech OK-100 series[/wiki] but not quite (including a different length function key legend shelf).

Chyros

29 Mar 2017, 11:25

Harshmallow wrote:
Chyros wrote:
You win.
Well it might just be the light but the spacebar looks slightly yellowed to me, which suggests that the rest of the caps are PBT. They do also resemble NMB caps, which are fairly low-profile, and the arrow keys have the arrows centered which NMB liked to do.

That said, NMB LOVED bigass enters, which this one isn't.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Mar 2017, 11:56

I was going to say the case looks a little like OKI but not with those hinges in the case. A stepped enter key...

Cyberovca

29 Mar 2017, 12:45

Love the discussion about the keyboard. Stay tuned for an update.. I'm receiving it today or tomorrow. Inb4 rubberdome. :lol:

By the way (@Chyros): Great job on the new videos!

Harshmallow

29 Mar 2017, 15:54

Chyros wrote: Well it might just be the light but the spacebar looks slightly yellowed to me, which suggests that the rest of the caps are PBT. They do also resemble NMB caps, which are fairly low-profile, and the arrow keys have the arrows centered which NMB liked to do.

I see why you would guess that, I was just throwing in my own guesses - but the reality is the photo is of pretty bad quality and with no key pulled or back label, who knows! If they are space invaders, the PBT and dye sub would make sense, but this boards legends, if dye-subbed - look to be pretty damn faded. Odds are we're both wrong :P

Edit: I also just noticed the F and J keys have little nubs in the middle instead of bars for homing marks, but if you have it on the way I guess we'll find out what it is soon!

Chyros

29 Mar 2017, 16:11

Harshmallow wrote:
Chyros wrote: Well it might just be the light but the spacebar looks slightly yellowed to me, which suggests that the rest of the caps are PBT. They do also resemble NMB caps, which are fairly low-profile, and the arrow keys have the arrows centered which NMB liked to do.

I see why you would guess that, I was just throwing in my own guesses - but the reality is the photo is of pretty bad quality and with no key pulled or back label, who knows! If they are space invaders, the PBT and dye sub would make sense, but this boards legends, if dye-subbed - look to be pretty damn faded. Odds are we're both wrong :P

Edit: I also just noticed the F and J keys have little nubs in the middle instead of bars for homing marks, but if you have it on the way I guess we'll find out what it is soon!
Oh I could be completely wrong, for all I know they're ABS caps with rubber dome switches xD . This is just my guess.

@Cyberovka: thanks :D .

Return to “Keyboards”