Spacebar actuation

Lynix

11 Jul 2015, 05:54

I'm a noob to keyboards, but I'm going to make my own just cause. Should the spacebar have a larger actuation force? (Looking at building with the Phantom PCB, on a side note: Where can I find a mounting plate for it?)

dzhoou

11 Jul 2015, 06:07

It definitely should IMO. It is usually pressed by your thumbs and they aren't as flimsy compared to your other fingers (I hope so...)

So, a MX black spacebar for a MX red board, or a MX green spacebar for a MX blue board.

jacobolus

11 Jul 2015, 07:40

I hate stiff spacebars.

The main reason spacebars are stiffer is that they used to be extremely long, sometimes as long as 10 or 11 letter keys. In order to return such a long keycap it was necessary to make the switch under the spacebar extra stiff, or sometimes to add an additional spring to help return the key.

In my opinion spacebars should be split in half and no longer than about 3 keys for each part, or ideally less. But even for a spacebar which is 6 or 7 keys long, most standard switches are strong enough. I personally advise just using the same type of switch as the rest of the keys, or maybe a just slightly stiffer switch.

Of course, it all comes down to personal preference. Put whatever switch you like under the spacebar, and give your thumb a good workout if you prefer.

Chyros

11 Jul 2015, 12:42

No. At least, not for me.

Spacebars, especially old spacebars, tend to be quite heavy and weigh a lot more than normal keys. I wouldn't mind if the switch under it is calibrated to take this difference in weight into account - but with the result requiring no more net force than a normal key.

I'm using a keyboard with a particularly stiff spacebar at work now and it's taking some getting used to xD .

derzemel

11 Jul 2015, 13:25

I think that for light linear switches (MX reds, Gateon Clears, etc) a stiffer spacebar is necessary (eventually flipped for comfort). This is because I tend to press the spacebar with the side of my thumbs, so I do not have all the finesse of the other fingers.
Now, if I use tactile switches like MX Browns or MX Blues, probably MX Clears (but I haven't tried them yet) a stiffer specabar is a bit uncomfortable in long writing sessions.

Anyway, it boils down to typing preferences and habits. If you are a heavy typist, then a stiffer spacebar would be ok. If you type without bottoming out, then the change to a heavy spacebar will seem strange, maybe uncomfortable with the risk of not getting used to it.
A good idea would be to find a plate that allows you to remove switch tops. This way you can use any spring you would like, even change stems.

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2015, 13:49

Yeah, it's entirely a matter of taste. I've typed on a 100% MX red keyboard before (standard 6.25 unit wide spacebar included) and found it perfectly fine. But I've no plans to take out the spacebar springs from my Topres.

MX isn't particularly smart about handling this. For a heavier spacebar, you do indeed need to put the extra weight (a stronger spring) inside the spacebar's switch. Most MX keyboards are plate mounted and make this a tricky proposition. It's childsplay on Topre though, where the spring sits loosely around the outside of the switch, and can be removed just by picking it up.

I'd try some keyboards if I were you. You'll find that you have a preference, even if you don't know what it is yet!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

11 Jul 2015, 19:54

I like my spacebars a little on the stiff side. I use very light springs in linear MX Blacks (55g) so on the spacebar I always have a 68g spring. I'm a creature of habits so I have the same thing on all my keyboards (MX ones)

lolpes

11 Jul 2015, 19:59

Well, I have a gaeteron blue with a 100 g gold spring on my spacebar and love it, so yep I like a stiffer spacebar ;)

SL89

11 Jul 2015, 20:03

lolpes wrote: Well, I have a gaeteron blue with a 100 g gold spring on my spacebar and love it, so yep I like a stiffer spacebar ;)
That sounds nice. What switch is it in?

lolpes

11 Jul 2015, 20:17

Edited the post ;) i like the click on the spacebar ;)

iandoug

14 Jul 2015, 19:21

Doesn't it depend on if you are planning on using the space bar as a fire button in games? Or some other non-space application.

Return to “Keyboards”