GMK Keycaps backlight leak (possible GMK quality decrease??)

derzemel

07 Aug 2015, 12:07

There is a topic on R/MK where the OP has taken some pictures showing the newer GMK Keys have issue with backlight leak:
Spoiler:
2015 GMK Triumph Adler F12 + Print Screen compared to 2013 GMK Olivetti (Pressed down)

2015 GMK CMYW Modifiers + 2014 GMK Windowed 1u windows key compared to 2013 GMK Blue Shift + 2013 GMK Olivetti Alt + 2014 GMK Windowed 1u windows key
Could this mean that GMK have lowered the quality and thickness of their keycaps?

Nuum

07 Aug 2015, 12:10

It really depends on the colour of the keycap and the LED, so you'd need to compare the same colour keycaps with the same LED, similar to your first image. Do they have exactly the same tone?

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 12:11

Leak depends on the lighting colour and the key colour. For instance: red caps leak red light. Even mighty SA:

http://deskthority.net/post238209.html#p238209

If you can compare apples with apples (the same colour of GMK caps from both generations, sitting on the same colour backlights) then you have a fair comparison.

SL89

07 Aug 2015, 14:21

McRip Effect

Also, Triumph / Adler was using custom colors so there may be more manufacturing irregularities then before or inconsistencies.

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 14:25

Care to describe what the McRip effect actually is? I've heard you say that several times, but I don't get it.

Does it really just mean "Anything disputed by Ripster"?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Aug 2015, 14:29

Busting keyboard myths since 2008

Remember kids, it is KEYBOARD SCIENCE!
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/mcrip

What a cool cat. :lol:
Last edited by seebart on 07 Aug 2015, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

SL89

07 Aug 2015, 14:30

Muirium wrote: Care to describe what the McRip effect actually is? I've heard you say that several times, but I don't get it.

Does it really just mean "Anything disputed by Ripster"?
>When a small defect is blown out of proportion or later proved to be illusory/false.

He even indexed cases of it happening, and for the most part it holds true. People make much ado about nothing, start a rumor, then it becomes fact, then it ends up being disproved or untrue.

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 14:39

Hmm.

What did he name it in honour of? Besides himself? (I'm not American. I don't know all your brands memes!)

SL89

07 Aug 2015, 14:44

Lol two people provided links, you should click them some time :P

Named after the McGurk Effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 14:48

Not when I'm on the iPhone 4s. Too small!

Anyway, it sounds like a douchey thing to say. What's the person it's aimed at meant to do? It sounds like a logical fallacy to me: ad hominem. How about suggesting: "prove it!"

SL89

07 Aug 2015, 15:02

Much like the Ping issue on some boards or light leak and other little perceived imperfections catch all sorts of attention and things like rumors and whatnot can run away like wildfire when the echo chamber of GH or /r/MK happens.

Invoking the McRip effect is certainly a bit juvenile, but that's the point its asking for someone to prove that the so called issue is in fact an issue.

wlhlm
~

07 Aug 2015, 20:32

Newer GMK caps don't seem any thinner. I've compared TA with beige and black Cherry sets, as well as a Desko set and they are all the same weight.

KRKS

07 Aug 2015, 20:41

I'm actually curious whether they're the same density. Does anyone have two sets, one old and one new, a precise scale, and some container to fill with water?

Prelim

07 Aug 2015, 22:04

indeed, I also thought about that... could be an issue with plastic density?

wlhlm
~

07 Aug 2015, 22:06

Don't think so, weight is the same.

tlt

08 Aug 2015, 14:57

Seems to me like they would have to change the material or the tooling to change the quality. And they are as far as we know they still use Cherrys old tools and ABS plastic. But I have noticed that the color of the plastic makes a big difference. You can for example see some of the black through the yellow on my black on yellow shift caps even without backlight

Lastpilot

15 Aug 2015, 03:06

Lastpilot

15 Aug 2015, 03:07

Muirium wrote:Leak depends on the lighting colour and the key colour. For instance: red caps leak red light. Even mighty SA:

http://deskthority.net/post238209.html#p238209

If you can compare apples with apples (the same colour of GMK caps from both generations, sitting on the same colour backlights) then you have a fair comparison.
:]

Charred orange vs ski data

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74 ... msg1821305

Topre Enthusiast

15 Aug 2015, 03:44

Pretty damning if you ask me. They don't make 'em like they used to...however that was.

Return to “Keyboards”