Dell quietkey and topre.

fossala
Elite +1

23 Sep 2011, 20:08

I type on a unicomp spacesaver (BS) as my main keyboard but my g/f doesn't like how loud it is when she is trying to watch her movies. I heard from GH that the dell quietkey was supposed to be a good rubber dome so I picked one up on ebay for £2, I really like it.
How much is it like a topre? because I have heard that they are comparable. Has anyone typed on a quietkey and a realforce or HHKB?
Just want to know your thoughts.

lal

23 Sep 2011, 21:25

Your g/f feels better than a buckling spring board it seems...

fossala
Elite +1

23 Sep 2011, 21:29

By girlfriend I mean been with her for over 6 years and have a four year old son you know you have to have a bit of give and take. Plus she lets me do the "old in out in out" my unicomp doesn't :)

Daniel Beaver

24 Sep 2011, 03:06

How much is it like a topre? because I have heard that they are comparable. Has anyone typed on a quietkey and a realforce or HHKB?
I used to say that they compared favorably, but I take it back now that I have used my Realforce for awhile. Topre boards are just in a different league. Quitekeys are, however, fantastic cheap keyboards.

Topre Enthusiast

24 Sep 2011, 12:33

As Daniel said, you might intially be underwhelmed by Topre - especially considering their price, but I agree that you need to use them for a week or so before you really begin to appreciate them.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Sep 2011, 12:41

Maybe get myself a realforce come xmas. Would get a HHKB but no one stocks them in the UK and I'm bored of getting screwed over with shipping and customs.
Thanks guys.

awry

25 Sep 2011, 23:59

i can help you with that if you really want a HHKB. But i recommend a RF instead. HHKB keys feel like cherry blacks. Very heavy. i'm sorry and i'm probably gonna get flamed for this but i only consider RFs topre boards. But HHKB are the sexiest boards looks-wise by far. Love the way they look. But it's not like i'm gonna be doing the "old in and out" with my keyboards other than only my fingers. So yeah. the silent ones are REALLY silent. I'm selling my spares on GH but please do not be mistaken that i'm trying to sell you anything. They aren't very hard to sell anyway. Just please do not get a RF 86 to save the money. GO 87 or nothing. Very different and totally worth the extra money. Hope this helps. =]

awry

26 Sep 2011, 00:03

Oh yeah, my email is byte_me@geekhack.org. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about Topre stuff. i would be glad to answer them if I am able. cheers.

Terence

duncan

26 Sep 2011, 04:55

I can't agree with awry on the 87 vs 86.

Substantially different, yes.
Is the 87 **better** than the 86?, not in my opinion.
I actually prefer the 86.
YMMV, it's all down to personal taste and preferences IMO.

Topre Enthusiast

26 Sep 2011, 10:44

awry wrote:HHKB keys feel like cherry blacks.

awry

29 Sep 2011, 02:40

Lol. Ok they don't feel like blacks. But they feel heavier. I've weak fingers. Sorry.

Return to “Keyboards”