Alps Appreciation

User avatar
Chyros

11 Feb 2020, 18:11

orihalcon wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 15:09
Click leaf on the right is a first gen (Grey Plate) Blue ALPS (and looks like it's got some original lubricant on it as well).
That's very surprising. That means that these late blue Alps actually use very EARLY blue Alps click leaves Oo .

User avatar
mcmaxmcmc

11 Feb 2020, 20:30

orihalcon wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 15:09
Click leaf on the right is a first gen (Grey Plate) Blue ALPS (and looks like it's got some original lubricant on it as well). Feel is pretty similar but maybe a bit smoother. You can kind of see that the plastic on the ligthter blue sliders is smoother/less textured/more slippery, Springs appear to be identical. The newer ones have tall white switch plates with more modern top housing ALPS logo. Not sure if the "Dark Grey" locking ALPS this uses helps date it at all? I'll have to do a short typing video here soon comparing the sky blues to original blues. I'll apologize in advance that it will be far less epic than one of Chyros' :D
Dark gray locking is usually used with boards with switches that don't have any lubricant on them, but I think there's a couple exceptions (my Salmon Alps M0116C came with a cream lock) -- so finding this to use them is really weird. Usually, the IIc comes with Cream locks.

I'm certainly interested to have these :D

kelvinhall05

12 Feb 2020, 00:10

Bought some sexy Alps (hopefully) keycaps 😎

https://medium.com/@ParityB1t/alps-avid ... 851b32fc87 link that shows them hopefully being alps compatible

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-ALPS-ADP- ... 584896b7a4 and here's the eBay listing

User avatar
Raumfahrer

12 Feb 2020, 00:49

Raumnikey 102 Gold Edition
(Put together by Zed)

Ambers in an Omnikey102 with custom LEDs
Spoiler:
19B341F1-7492-4DC9-8AFE-F3862C100768.jpeg
19B341F1-7492-4DC9-8AFE-F3862C100768.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2247 times
C3FE438D-1C0D-4DF7-82FE-437D40B93FE5.jpeg
C3FE438D-1C0D-4DF7-82FE-437D40B93FE5.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2247 times
CBF195DF-2BA7-429D-A6CA-2647DD068FD3.jpeg
CBF195DF-2BA7-429D-A6CA-2647DD068FD3.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2247 times

User avatar
ZedTheMan

12 Feb 2020, 01:12

It's also NKRO and fully programmable with QMK over USB. I redid the entire matrix with diodes since it originally lacked them. :)

I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

12 Feb 2020, 01:13

Image

keyboardcircle

12 Feb 2020, 03:02

Got this recently. Leading Edge 2214 with blue alps in pristine condition.
Attachments
2020-02-01 13.12.49.jpg
2020-02-01 13.12.49.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 2180 times
2020-01-31 23.42.53.jpg
2020-01-31 23.42.53.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 2185 times
2020-01-31 23.42.02.jpg
2020-01-31 23.42.02.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 2185 times

h.parks

20 Feb 2020, 08:35

i took a chance on a NOS IBM PC Convertible. it will arrive via UPS tomorrow. wish me luck, everybody.

User avatar
//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

20 Feb 2020, 08:52

h.parks wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 08:35
i took a chance on a NOS IBM PC Convertible. it will arrive via UPS tomorrow. wish me luck, everybody.
a 5140? You shouldn't need luck! It'll have SKCM brown in it!

User avatar
ppCircle

20 Feb 2020, 16:28

//gainsborough wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 08:52
h.parks wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 08:35
i took a chance on a NOS IBM PC Convertible. it will arrive via UPS tomorrow. wish me luck, everybody.
a 5140? You shouldn't need luck! It'll have SKCM brown in it!
Somebody could harvest switches. :roll:

User avatar
//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

20 Feb 2020, 16:30

ppCircle wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 16:28
//gainsborough wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 08:52
h.parks wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 08:35
i took a chance on a NOS IBM PC Convertible. it will arrive via UPS tomorrow. wish me luck, everybody.
a 5140? You shouldn't need luck! It'll have SKCM brown in it!
Somebody could harvest switches. :roll:
Well then it wouldn't be "NOS!"

User avatar
ppCircle

20 Feb 2020, 16:33

If computer is not foliated, until you didn't see photo without one keycap everything is possible

User avatar
Polecat

23 Feb 2020, 20:04

A few days ago I went digging in my storage. Apparently when you get old enough you can hide your own Easter eggs, because I found a few things I didn't even remember having. One of those is an Apple M0116 with salmon switches. I was never a fan of tactile switches, so I haven't paid much attention to the different versions of tactile Alps. But looking at these switches I couldn't help but wonder about something. This might have been discussed before, but did salmon Alps replace orange, or were the two ever concurrent? If salmon replaced orange I'm wondering if that happened at the same time the plastic was changed (around the time white replaced blue and the factory lube was eliminated) and if so, was the salmon color a result of trying to use orange dye on the "new" plastic? It's probably not that simple, but it seems strange that they would make the salmon color that way on purpose.

Another thing I found is a portable 286 computer with a Dolch-style keyboard. That one has MX blue switches, but I'm mentioning it here because it reminded me why I've used Alps all these years.

User avatar
E3E

24 Feb 2020, 16:43

Polecat wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 20:04
A few days ago I went digging in my storage. Apparently when you get old enough you can hide your own Easter eggs, because I found a few things I didn't even remember having. One of those is an Apple M0116 with salmon switches. I was never a fan of tactile switches, so I haven't paid much attention to the different versions of tactile Alps. But looking at these switches I couldn't help but wonder about something. This might have been discussed before, but did salmon Alps replace orange, or were the two ever concurrent? If salmon replaced orange I'm wondering if that happened at the same time the plastic was changed (around the time white replaced blue and the factory lube was eliminated) and if so, was the salmon color a result of trying to use orange dye on the "new" plastic? It's probably not that simple, but it seems strange that they would make the salmon color that way on purpose.

Another thing I found is a portable 286 computer with a Dolch-style keyboard. That one has MX blue switches, but I'm mentioning it here because it reminded me why I've used Alps all these years.

SKCM Salmon did succeed SKCM Orange, and I don't feel it was a matter of using the same dye on a new plastic. I believe they intentionally changed the color, as the weighting of the compression spring as well as some other components changed.

Alps has many examples of changing colors for successive switches, as you know:

Blue > White,

(tactile) Brown > (tactile) Green,

Cream > Black,

Green > Yellow,

and so on.

I've not seen anything concurrent as much as I've seen transitory, where sometimes there have been mixes and keyboards produced in the same year with both kinds of switches, but this was more a case of the old switch was being phased out.

There are two main generations of Alps. All of the switches of each share the same general characteristics, respective of generation.

There's also the transition from pine to bamboo which happened in the 2nd generation, which reduced tactility and overall cheapened the sound and feel. Only a few switches ended up surviving to the bamboo stage.

SKCM White, SKCM Damped White, SKCM Black, and SKCM Green are all I can think of off-hand.

4sStylZ

25 Feb 2020, 15:56

Salmon were made on 1988 to 1992, Orange from 1987 to 1991 and black alps were also made close to those periods.
Pretty sure it’s different market / specs / internals / price, differents products who don’t cost the same.
Also orange have a different lubrifiant than Salmon.

User avatar
zrrion

07 Mar 2020, 06:52

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Mar 2020, 00:06

Today I received an ALPS Electric keyboard to replace one that I had years ago but foolishly sold to J Carpenter at a time when I needed a few bucks quick.

I have been looking for another one for a long time, and finally it turned up on ebay, here in Tennessee (right in the tornado zone). I bought it, at the time of the tornado, for a great price (<$50 shipped). I was amazed that nobody else snagged it, and I certainly wasn't going to post it in Great Finds.

The unit was a little dirty on the outside but pristine and like new inside, Pine whites with doubleshot key caps! I can't get a shot of the PCB markings without removing the switches, which I am not going to do. Note the alternate stabilizer accommodations on the space bar.
Attachments
ALPS Electric FDA-102F top.JPG
ALPS Electric FDA-102F top.JPG (556.69 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
ALPS Electric FDA-102F label.JPG
ALPS Electric FDA-102F label.JPG (207.59 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
ALPS Electric FDA-102F space bar.JPG
ALPS Electric FDA-102F space bar.JPG (278.55 KiB) Viewed 1395 times

User avatar
Polecat

11 Mar 2020, 04:19

fohat wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 00:06
Today I received an ALPS Electric keyboard to replace one that I had years ago but foolishly sold to J Carpenter at a time when I needed a few bucks quick.

I have been looking for another one for a long time, and finally it turned up on ebay, here in Tennessee (right in the tornado zone). I bought it, at the time of the tornado, for a great price (<$50 shipped). I was amazed that nobody else snagged it, and I certainly wasn't going to post it in Great Finds.

The unit was a little dirty on the outside but pristine and like new inside, Pine whites with doubleshot key caps! I can't get a shot of the PCB markings without removing the switches, which I am not going to do. Note the alternate stabilizer accommodations on the space bar.
Congrats, really nice keyboard! First time I've seen a frequency spec listed that way.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

13 Mar 2020, 22:39

Are Alps SKBL Black very common? I got some Black Alps from Taobao and most of them don't have tactile leaves.

User avatar
ppCircle

14 Mar 2020, 23:08

Zenith Z-150 Black Label with beauty purple legends

Typing: https://youtu.be/ljrW9SK-Y4c

Image

Image
Last edited by ppCircle on 15 Mar 2020, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

kelvinhall05

14 Mar 2020, 23:29

Fuck *me* is that a clean Zenith. Nice!

User avatar
Chyros

15 Mar 2020, 00:04

Wow. that is a very nice Zenith =o . Caps are double-dyesub, then? :D

User avatar
ppCircle

15 Mar 2020, 00:14

Chyros wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:04
Wow. that is a very nice Zenith =o . Caps are double-dyesub, then? :D
Yup :)

NeK

15 Mar 2020, 13:47

great board!!

User avatar
ppCircle

15 Mar 2020, 16:58

After today's retrobright looks even better ;)

Image

User avatar
Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 Mar 2020, 20:21

ppCircle wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 16:58
After today's retrobright looks even better ;)
Looks good! Care sharing which method you used?

User avatar
ppCircle

16 Mar 2020, 12:57

Redmaus wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 20:21
ppCircle wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 16:58
After today's retrobright looks even better ;)
Looks good! Care sharing which method you used?
Cream with hydrogen peroxide, foil and sun. Every 30 minutes i massaged the surfaces.

User avatar
diseeease

16 Mar 2020, 17:57

That Zenith is a beauty!

Here's one I got the other day and cleaned up (case had some scuffs and it was pretty dirty from storage and the metal logo was coming off).

Arche branded Chicony 5182 with white SKCM.

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Chyros

16 Mar 2020, 20:02

Very nice-looking board! Never seen a badge like that on a 5182 =o .

User avatar
TheInverseKey

16 Mar 2020, 20:45

Chyros wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 20:02
Very nice-looking board! Never seen a badge like that on a 5182 =o .
I'm guessing that this was the alternative to the NMB RT-101 that shares the same badge.

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”