Alps Appreciation

Mattr567

23 Mar 2017, 04:03

mike52787 wrote:
Chyros wrote: I feel more and more like I should review a NOS SKCM cream board xD .
I dont get your reservations from ordering them off ebay... I had 5 from that same guy and all the switches were in great shape. In all I have had 6 NeXT boards worth of switches, and not a single one has had bad switches. well anyhow, the window of opportunity to get the SKCM cream version on ebay is closed, as the only ones left are the bigass enter ones with pine blacks. If you want creams you have to go with the ansi enter version.
Yea I got my NeXT from the same ebay guy. Although not all of them were perfect like mine the switches were always good. Using them in my AEKII right now as well.

cumwagondeluxe

23 Mar 2017, 04:25

Tuntematon wrote: So do you guys actually like typing on browns, or do you just appreciate the novelty? Much too heavy and tactile for my taste.
I'm a complete baboon with my typing, so anything under 120g and above 45g is cool with me. Maybe because I've played guitar for so long and things like e.g. 7 string classicals will cramp the absolute shit out of your hands until you develop pretty good finger/hand/palm/arm strength and stamina.

My hhkb was/is my favorite board, and I hoped the RF87u 55g I bought would be a more tactile version and I'd like that more. Turned out to be almost the same thing - perhaps even slightly mushier on the bottom out than the hhkb - so I was kinda disappointed. Then the videowriter arrived and it was literally what I hoped the realforce would be and then some - only way I think a tactile switch could be better (IMO) is if it felt like browns but had the "thock" only sound of a silenced HHKB. Maybe possible with damped sliders + thick pbt caps and the switches mounted on some hhkb-like plastic plate?

Harshmallow

23 Mar 2017, 05:06

cumwagondeluxe wrote:
Tuntematon wrote: So do you guys actually like typing on browns, or do you just appreciate the novelty? Much too heavy and tactile for my taste.
I'm a complete baboon with my typing, so anything under 120g and above 45g is cool with me. Maybe because I've played guitar for so long and things like e.g. 7 string classicals will cramp the absolute shit out of your hands until you develop pretty good finger/hand/palm/arm strength and stamina.

My hhkb was/is my favorite board, and I hoped the RF87u 55g I bought would be a more tactile version and I'd like that more. Turned out to be almost the same thing - perhaps even slightly mushier on the bottom out than the hhkb - so I was kinda disappointed. Then the videowriter arrived and it was literally what I hoped the realforce would be and then some - only way I think a tactile switch could be better (IMO) is if it felt like browns but had the "thock" only sound of a silenced HHKB. Maybe possible with damped sliders + thick pbt caps and the switches mounted on some hhkb-like plastic plate?
I wish you could try this Zenith SWA4300 I have...maybe some day at a keyboard meet. It feels and sounds like a mechanical version of Topre. Unfortunately, apart from mine, Chyros' and XMIT's which were all NIB and originated from the same seller, I don't think any others have been seen. There are other boards that used these ITW/Cortron switches though - like the Burroughs B25 K1! Check out Chyros' review on it though - it's a magnetic valve switch with dye-subbed PBT caps and very nice rubber domes under the caps for the return force and to add tactility.

Chyros

23 Mar 2017, 12:26

mike52787 wrote:
Chyros wrote: I feel more and more like I should review a NOS SKCM cream board xD .
I dont get your reservations from ordering them off ebay... I had 5 from that same guy and all the switches were in great shape. In all I have had 6 NeXT boards worth of switches, and not a single one has had bad switches. well anyhow, the window of opportunity to get the SKCM cream version on ebay is closed, as the only ones left are the bigass enter ones with pine blacks. If you want creams you have to go with the ansi enter version.
That particular seller was very inconsistent with showing the ACTUAL ones you'd get. I really didn't feel like a gamble - especially as I'd have had to pay a lot more shipping and import duties than you would've ;) .

Moreover, what pictures I saw on eBay were of boards that were not good enough.

Menuhin

23 Mar 2017, 12:46

Chyros wrote:
mike52787 wrote:
That particular seller was very inconsistent with showing the ACTUAL ones you'd get. I really didn't feel like a gamble - especially as I'd have had to pay a lot more shipping and import duties than you would've ;) .

I somehow think you are always waiting for the opportunity to get things dirt cheap and then present them like, " ... this is almost in an unused NOS condition, and I got it in less than 5 pounds ... " People watching the video will be like slamming their heads onto the desk yelling how unfair the world is. xD

PollandAkuma

23 Mar 2017, 12:50

cumwagondeluxe wrote:
musicians unite! lol. Most people say MX clears are too heavy, but they are pretty good for me.

Zombimuncha

23 Mar 2017, 12:59

Menuhin wrote: " ... this is almost in an unused NOS condition, and I got it in less than 5 pounds ... "
I read that in Chyros's voice.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Mar 2017, 13:17

Menuhin wrote:
slamming their heads onto the desk yelling how unfair the world is
People love to crow about their great cheap finds, although it is a lot less common than it was a few years ago.

Perhaps the general market is recognizing that there are a lot of people collecting a lot of different old things.

Chyros

23 Mar 2017, 13:18

Menuhin wrote: I somehow think you are always waiting for the opportunity to get things dirt cheap and then present them like, " ... this is almost in an unused NOS condition, and I got it in less than 5 pounds ... " People watching the video will be like slamming their heads onto the desk yelling how unfair the world is. xD
Of course I like it when I get things for almost free when they're in great condition, but I care much more about showing off the board and its condition than the amount of money I paid for it :p . I've been lucky a few times, of course, but many I traded for or I paid for them with the proceeds from other boards.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2017, 13:50

Chyros wrote:
mike52787 wrote:

I had some of them come with reasonably dirty caps and a dirty plate, however the switches were in great shape. As you know well, not all dirty boards have bad switches. but anyway, I can definitely see how it was a gamble for you. I forgot to factor in overseas shipping :0 anyway, whenever you do manage to find a cream alps board, I will anticipate the review! from the switches I sent you you should be able to get a bit of a feel for them.

Menuhin

23 Mar 2017, 14:15

fohat wrote:
Menuhin wrote:
slamming their heads onto the desk yelling how unfair the world is

Perhaps the general market is recognizing that there are a lot of people collecting a lot of different old things.
It's better off working on some sort of more esoteric collections then...
Spoiler:

Used tea bags

Nicotine gum balls

Belly button fluff... ahh..!

Harshmallow

23 Mar 2017, 16:11

Chyros wrote:
mike52787 wrote:

To add to this - the seller still hasn't learned much about the keyboards they're selling. I asked about the German Next keyboard he has listed, because he's claiming it's NOS and the pictures are of terrible quality.

Anyway, he got back to me last night and said he uploaded a photo of the switch, and that they are 'Alps Keyswitches' (I asked him if they were black or cream alps, not just alps in general)

Checked the photo - find out it's Mitsumi Hybrid haha. So yeah, not much faith.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Mar 2017, 19:04

The surf board collection is cool!
Attachments
K7TL8.jpg
K7TL8.jpg (139.28 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Mar 2017, 19:41

Where are the washing machines? :lol:

Lynx_Carpathica

25 Mar 2017, 23:16

Binding on Alps, that was dusty and used like that, is caused by the rough surface of the top housing (mostly), even after being cleaned right? I wonder if we could resurface it with some sort of lacquer or something like that.

cumwagondeluxe

26 Mar 2017, 07:18

Anybody know what causes tactile switches to click on the slider return? I'm guessing it has something to do with grime in the switches but I can't really think of why that'd make em click. I took a shitty video of some decently dusty SKCM damped creams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XVpenE9vnk - you can hear it especially on the delete/insert/etc cluster, a little less on the arrow cluster and then the 0 key sounds normal. Same thing happens on my SKCM oranges to an extent, though much quieter and only on like 10ish keys across the 3 boards of them I have (which is why I think it might be a dirty switch thing)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

26 Mar 2017, 07:34

cumwagondeluxe wrote: Anybody know what causes tactile switches to click on the slider return? I'm guessing it has something to do with grime in the switches but I can't really think of why that'd make em click. I took a shitty video of some decently dusty SKCM damped creams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XVpenE9vnk - you can hear it especially on the delete/insert/etc cluster, a little less on the arrow cluster and then the 0 key sounds normal. Same thing happens on my SKCM oranges to an extent, though much quieter and only on like 10ish keys across the 3 boards of them I have (which is why I think it might be a dirty switch thing)
I always thought it was because of the shape of the tactile leaf. The tactile leaf compresses as a result of pushing the slider down, then as the slider comes back up it wants to spring back open - as a result what you hear is the slider being pushed out of the way on the way back up.

disclaimer: I base this on absolutely nothing.

Harshmallow

26 Mar 2017, 07:42

//gainsborough wrote:
cumwagondeluxe wrote: Anybody know what causes tactile switches to click on the slider return? I'm guessing it has something to do with grime in the switches but I can't really think of why that'd make em click. I took a shitty video of some decently dusty SKCM damped creams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XVpenE9vnk - you can hear it especially on the delete/insert/etc cluster, a little less on the arrow cluster and then the 0 key sounds normal. Same thing happens on my SKCM oranges to an extent, though much quieter and only on like 10ish keys across the 3 boards of them I have (which is why I think it might be a dirty switch thing)
I always thought it was because of the shape of the tactile leaf. The tactile leaf compresses as a result of pushing the slider down, then as the slider comes back up it wants to spring back open - as a result what you hear is the slider being pushed out of the way on the way back up.

disclaimer: I base this on absolutely nothing.

Lol, you are correct though, that's how those tactile leaves work generally. Maybe you should check out Chyros' video about click modding an AT-101 with black alps. He describes how the tactile leaves work etc. Basically, if you just snip off the little protruding tabs on the tactile leaf, it turns it into a click leaf. It won't be as loud as one designed to be a click leaf because it's missing the little metal 'hammer' at the back of it. This probably doesn't make any sense unless you check out the video haha. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that some of the tactile leaves may be affected by dirt or could possibly be bent in such a way that they're striking the switch housing harder than they should be when the slider contacts them.

Here's the video:

Mattr567

27 Mar 2017, 00:34

So i'm 10 SKCM Browns short for a complete swap into a Wang 725, anyone have any they could spare?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

27 Mar 2017, 01:10

Mattr567 wrote: So i'm 10 SKCM Browns short for a complete swap into a Wang 725, anyone have any they could spare?
You stole my idea!!! =P

Mattr567

27 Mar 2017, 02:09

//gainsborough wrote:
Mattr567 wrote: So i'm 10 SKCM Browns short for a complete swap into a Wang 725, anyone have any they could spare?
You stole my idea!!! =P
Ohh so your the guy that bought Wingpads Wang :lol:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

27 Mar 2017, 02:27

Mattr567 wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:
You stole my idea!!! =P
Ohh so your the guy that bought Wingpads Wang :lol:
You caught me!

Mattr567

27 Mar 2017, 03:44

//gainsborough wrote: You caught me!
Haha.

Do you have any to spare? :)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

27 Mar 2017, 04:03

Mattr567 wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: You caught me!
Haha.

Do you have any to spare? :)
No =( I'm actually only doing the alpha block - the rest will stay salmon. I haven't given up on one-day converting the videowriter, so I'm only using the 5140. That giant plus sign arrow cluster is too fun =P

edit: I'm still de-soldering the whole things though. I want to sandblast and color the mounting plate!

Darkshado

28 Mar 2017, 00:12

//gainsborough wrote: I always thought it was because of the shape of the tactile leaf. The tactile leaf compresses as a result of pushing the slider down, then as the slider comes back up it wants to spring back open - as a result what you hear is the slider being pushed out of the way on the way back up.
I read something about a "paper" mod earlier (perhaps here) and decided to try sticking thin electrical tape pieces on the back of the tactile leaves on my work-in-progress AEK II, it's a time consuming mod, but it's also worked superbly at removing any click on the upstroke while preserving the tactility.

Harshmallow

28 Mar 2017, 04:56

Dun dun dunnnn. What could be in this box? Click the upcoming spammy thread with photo to find out more!

20170327_211709.jpg
20170327_211709.jpg (4.72 MiB) Viewed 5514 times

Mattr567

28 Mar 2017, 05:32

BTW if anyone has any amount of SKCM Brown they'd be willing to part with, let me know. Might have to end up sourcing them from multiple people. Mike has 2.

Lynx_Carpathica

28 Mar 2017, 12:18

Harshmallow wrote: Dun dun dunnnn. What could be in this box? Click the upcoming spammy thread with photo to find out more!

20170327_211709.jpg
Let me find out... Bloo uplsch

Mattr567

29 Mar 2017, 02:11

Only need 8 SKCM Brown now :)

For the rest I am offering the reward of 1 SKCL Striped Amber, yes you heard me correctly ;)

Zombimuncha

29 Mar 2017, 16:16

Darkshado wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: I always thought it was because of the shape of the tactile leaf. The tactile leaf compresses as a result of pushing the slider down, then as the slider comes back up it wants to spring back open - as a result what you hear is the slider being pushed out of the way on the way back up.
I read something about a "paper" mod earlier (perhaps here) and decided to try sticking thin electrical tape pieces on the back of the tactile leaves on my work-in-progress AEK II, it's a time consuming mod, but it's also worked superbly at removing any click on the upstroke while preserving the tactility.
Electrical tape on the leaf springs, you say?...
So basically you're saying I need to open up all of my Matias Clickies AGAIN?

Got a link describing the mod?

Return to “Keyboards”