Alps Appreciation

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Aug 2017, 10:00

Alps-made Wang keyboard PCBs are the same. The clues are the logo being in outline form, and the identifiers PWB (printed wiring board) and A/W (no idea what that means). The PCBs seem to not have Alps codes on them (12K…) either.

smithyithy

17 Aug 2017, 22:46

Been messing around with a few SKCM Cream Damped I have loose.. I'd click modded one of them, which feels quite nice, so I decided to swap in the click leaf from a Matias switch - it's a tad shorter than the Alps leaf, but fit together without issue. Feel-wise, it's practically the same, maybe slightly smoother as the Matias switch is brand new. But the sound is a subtle improvement, the click is slightly higher pitched and crisper.

I'd record a sound comparison but I feel without a decent mic / camera, any difference would be indistinguishable. A nice modification, though.

Mattr567

21 Aug 2017, 04:58

Hey, so whoever got this SKCM Cream HP, I want the caps! Let me know, wanted them for a very special Alps backlit project. Missed it by $1 :?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382194402155

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

21 Aug 2017, 10:19

smithyithy wrote: Been messing around with a few SKCM Cream Damped I have loose.. I'd click modded one of them, which feels quite nice, so I decided to swap in the click leaf from a Matias switch - it's a tad shorter than the Alps leaf, but fit together without issue. Feel-wise, it's practically the same, maybe slightly smoother as the Matias switch is brand new. But the sound is a subtle improvement, the click is slightly higher pitched and crisper.

I'd record a sound comparison but I feel without a decent mic / camera, any difference would be indistinguishable. A nice modification, though.
I could do this on my SGI Bigfoot, but I don't want to permanently mod the original tactile leafs. Is there a way to purchase just the click leafs from Matias?

andrewjoy

21 Aug 2017, 10:47

You could just mod escape or the arrow cluster to see if you like it .

I did that to my orange alps on my AEK but was not a fan so left the rest .

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

21 Aug 2017, 15:51

andrewjoy wrote: You could just mod escape or the arrow cluster to see if you like it .

I did that to my orange alps on my AEK but was not a fan so left the rest .
I could, but the problem is not that I'm not sure if I'll like it or not (I'm definitely sure I'll like it). It's the fact that I want to keep that board original.

smithyithy

21 Aug 2017, 16:30

Not sure if you can get separate leafs, I wouldn't think so, if I'm honest. Though you could get individual Cream Damped + Matias Click switches from ebay or classifieds for a few dollars? I think it's generally worth a small investment for some sacrificial loose switches to test things on

consolation

21 Aug 2017, 21:30

Mattr567 wrote: Hey, so whoever got this SKCM Cream HP, I want the caps! Let me know, wanted them for a very special Alps backlit project. Missed it by $1 :?

I have a Vectra CS, the caps are really pretty; but they are not translucent or anything - just in case it's relevant to the backlit part of your project. I would be tempted to sell the machine, but it's in good condition - so it'd be a shame to parts it out. Plus, I'm in NZ and it weights a TONNE - so would be crazy expensive to ship.

Mattr567

21 Aug 2017, 21:46

consolation wrote:
Mattr567 wrote: Hey, so whoever got this SKCM Cream HP, I want the caps! Let me know, wanted them for a very special Alps backlit project. Missed it by $1 :?

I have a Vectra CS, the caps are really pretty; but they are not translucent or anything - just in case it's relevant to the backlit part of your project. I would be tempted to sell the machine, but it's in good condition - so it'd be a shame to parts it out. Plus, I'm in NZ and it weights a TONNE - so would be crazy expensive to ship.
Yeah. They don't seem like THAT rare and 5140's get parted all the time :lol:

It was gonna be really amazing. Full SKCL Cream, infinity PCB, AT101 plate, red backlight, red legend HP caps, pok3r case :o Maybe we could trade? I have some neat Alps stuff ;)

consolation

21 Aug 2017, 23:36

Mattr567 wrote: ...
It was gonna be really amazing. Full SKCL Cream, infinity PCB, AT101 plate, red backlight, red legend HP caps, pok3r case
The HP caps are a pretty unique profile because of the steep rake on the CS keyboard; on a typical case the top would be close to parallel with the desk surface, giving you an old school stepped look, are you going for that?
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG (110.16 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
H (R3) key next to the tab key.

I'll have a look at the machine this evening; I haven't had a chance to check it out properly since it arrived last week. On one hand it's pretty neat, on the other - there's already so many projects waiting that I don't seem to have the time for... :?

Mattr567

22 Aug 2017, 00:53

consolation wrote: The HP caps are a pretty unique profile because of the steep rake on the CS keyboard; on a typical case the top would be close to parallel with the desk surface, giving you an old school stepped look, are you going for that?
IMG_0509.JPG
H (R3) key next to the tab key.

I'll have a look at the machine this evening; I haven't had a chance to check it out properly since it arrived last week. On one hand it's pretty neat, on the other - there's already so many projects waiting that I don't seem to have the time for... :?
Yeah i'm going for that. Think it'll be really sick combining the unique profile with rare heavy Alps linears, and on top of that with red underglow that would match the keycap legends all wrapped up in a metal case :o

The HP may be cool, but the custom that will come from it will be sooo gooodd :D
Last edited by Mattr567 on 22 Aug 2017, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

Hak Foo

22 Aug 2017, 01:58

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
consolation wrote: I think the idea at the time was that Apple got the keyboards built from the manufacturer, and had to replace switches that weren't working for one reason or another.
Would Alps make a different colour switch for sale as a replacement part?
It could even have been a matter of batch stocking. Maybe the original boards were assembled at date A at facility B, and they were sourcing white switches.

The order used to supply the repair centre was at a different date or went to a different fulfillment source, and ended up getting a crate of black switches.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Aug 2017, 09:15

If cream and black are used in the same keyboard, then it would seem that the parts are effectively identical. However, I still can't see Alps using two separate colours for the same model of switch, to the extent that you can have a random mixture. And apparently it's not a random mixture, as the black switches are always found in small numbers.

We need to see the insides of each affected keyboard in detail, to look for clues.

consolation

25 Aug 2017, 00:49

I'll take some snaps this weekend, anything in particular we should be looking out for?

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Aug 2017, 01:00

I added a page for it this morning: [wiki]Alps SKCC Tall Black[/wiki].

It would be good to get clear evidence of the black ones having a different appearance to the soldering. Dating evidence is also useful, which in these is likely to only be the microchips, i.e. are these spread out over a number of years, or are they all from the same year?

Obviously photos of each affected keyboard to demonstrate the number of switches, model of keyboard, and the distribution of switches.

Mattr567

25 Aug 2017, 06:37

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I added a page for it this morning: [wiki]Alps SKCC Tall Black[/wiki].

It would be good to get clear evidence of the black ones having a different appearance to the soldering. Dating evidence is also useful, which in these is likely to only be the microchips, i.e. are these spread out over a number of years, or are they all from the same year?

Obviously photos of each affected keyboard to demonstrate the number of switches, model of keyboard, and the distribution of switches.
"SKCC Tall Black has never been sighted on its own; it is only known from Apple keyboards" This isnt correct, it has been found in Monroe Calculators:

https://imgur.com/a/nk7g0

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Aug 2017, 09:05

Very good point Mattr567, the slider looks a bit grayish but I guess that's the picture.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Aug 2017, 09:20

Mattr567 wrote: This isnt correct, it has been found in Monroe Calculators:

(Glad to see that this was posted to the wiki …)

Those aren't black; they're grey. You can see both here in another Monroe calculator (also still not on the wiki) which has one black one, possibly for the same reason that Apple keyboards have stray black switches:

http://imgur.com/a/BUJCJ

These grey ones don't seem to be either tall or short — it's like they're in the middle between the two sizes. Measurements are needed.

seebart

25 Aug 2017, 09:23

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Those aren't black; they're grey. You can see both here in another Monroe calculator (also still not on the wiki) which has one black one, possibly for the same reason that Apple keyboards have stray black switches:

These grey ones don't seem to be either tall or short — it's like they're in the middle between the two sizes. Measurements are needed.
Just what I tought although I'll admit I wasn't sure. The grey ones seem to be equally rare.

Mattr567

26 Aug 2017, 08:02

Annd this is why I love Alps :D

seebart

26 Aug 2017, 09:02

Mattr567 wrote: Annd this is why I love Alps :D
Let's get some more details on that beauty!

Chyros

26 Aug 2017, 10:39

Fucking hell, and that thing WORKS too?! =o

seebart

26 Aug 2017, 10:41

Chyros wrote: Fucking hell, and that thing WORKS too?! =o
Judging by the keycaps it must be SKCC. Give our Alps master Mattr567 some time but I do expect some more infos on this...

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Aug 2017, 17:28

Mattr567 wrote: This isnt correct, it has been found in Monroe Calculators:

The sliders range from narrow to wide in three steps. I've made some quick sketches, and tentatively, it looks like for standard height, step two is 25% taller than step 1, while in tall switches, step two is 125% taller.

Here, black seems to have step two of only 75% extra height. That would put it at an intermediate height. However, that assumes that it's step 2 that's altered, and it looks to me as though the switches in the Monroe Model 2805 calculator may have a shorter step 1: it's not the main shaft that's shorter, but rather the keystem, which would allow for shorter keycaps. You'll notice that the keycaps are very short, which may be why the switch is different.

Consequently, the grey colour in the Monroe Model 2805 may simply indicate that the keystems are shorter. This is not common, but both Tokai and Cherry for example offered different keystem heights, which in Cherry's case made them suitable for different height keycaps.

Your own link is not detailed enough; whoever took those shots failed to do a proper teardown, but the keycaps are also short, so chances are it's the same short-keystem switch.

As such, grey likely does not precede green/cream but rather complements it.

To be certain, proper measurements are needed.

Mattr567

26 Aug 2017, 22:28

Chyros wrote: Fucking hell, and that thing WORKS too?! =o
No sadly, has an RJ end. Do want to convert it though, its sooo cooool.
seebart wrote:
Mattr567 wrote: Annd this is why I love Alps :D
Let's get some more details on that beauty!
Got this from XMIT, Tall Cream SKCC w/ one locking switch. Same cap profile as the Pingmaster

It uses these giant screws for the case :shock:

Inside, the guts are actually bolted to the top case :roll:

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Aug 2017, 22:35

Rough (as always, with digital callipers) slider and keystem height measurements for all the SKCC switches in my possession: [wiki]Alps SKCC series[/wiki]. Measurements for Monroe's switches will indicate whether they are a match for any existing dimensions. Incidentally, Monroe's prior keyswitch supplier was Datanetics.

seebart

27 Aug 2017, 07:17

Thanks for the infos Mattr567! It's got a nice set of LED's too.

Mattr567

28 Aug 2017, 03:39

:shock:

seebart

28 Aug 2017, 08:23

Doesn't look so good... :o

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

28 Aug 2017, 08:45

Damn. Does that make contact? Did you test it?

Return to “Keyboards”