Alps Appreciation

mode1ace

05 Aug 2020, 20:02

amigastar23 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 14:10
Got my ARC - Monterey K102 Keyboard today, very nice with white alps.

Although it's a little bit hard to press since i'm used to lighter switches i like it , it even has 6key rollover.
very nice.
i just don't know if the keys are stiff because they are used or if the white alps are really that hard to press.
Could well be condition. I test new boards by pressing a large unstabbed key, like ctrl or capslock off centre. Does it bind at all?

amigastar23

05 Aug 2020, 20:14

mode1ace wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 20:02
amigastar23 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 14:10
Got my ARC - Monterey K102 Keyboard today, very nice with white alps.

Although it's a little bit hard to press since i'm used to lighter switches i like it , it even has 6key rollover.
very nice.
i just don't know if the keys are stiff because they are used or if the white alps are really that hard to press.
Could well be condition. I test new boards by pressing a large unstabbed key, like ctrl or capslock off centre. Does it bind at all?
Ctrl is a little bit stiff and slightly jammed, other keys like F,G and K are alright.
I'm planning to buy some switches from here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-x-SKBM-White- ... Sw19dcaJoL
and replace the used keys with new parts. Is that possible? I think yes. You know just the springs and tactile leafs.

Edit: oh i just saw that the ebay Replacment keys are SKBM not SKCM.
Does anyone know where to buy SKCM white alps replacement switches?

ntv242

05 Aug 2020, 21:09

I would open and examine the switch first before buying spares.

amigastar23

05 Aug 2020, 21:24

so you're saying that a jammed key is dirty only?

ntv242

05 Aug 2020, 21:39

Idk but whenever I encounter any problem with alps switch I always open and inspect it closely, might help, and it is fairly easy to do so

amigastar23

05 Aug 2020, 22:56

ntv242 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 21:39
Idk but whenever I encounter any problem with alps switch I always open and inspect it closely, might help, and it is fairly easy to do so
ok, will do, thx.

mode1ace

06 Aug 2020, 09:34

Cleaning is def the way to go before buying replacement switches. If the board is not terrible, then it'll probably clean up alright. You just can't make a board that feels flat out awful good. Cleaning up light dirt usually has pretty good results.

ppCircle

06 Aug 2020, 16:20

Bought today for quite cheap. C.ITOH CIT324/CIT324E with polish sublegends. Sadly it apears to be non convertable in easy way.
But man, what a fantastic feeling.

mode1ace

06 Aug 2020, 23:55

Alps bucking spring?

I'm curious what kind of stabs it uses, I couldn't tell from other photos of that board.

amigastar23

08 Aug 2020, 19:01

Hey there,

today i wanted to clean my SKCM White Alps Keyboard but the Keycap broke inside and now i need a new white slider, can i use the slider from SKBM White Alps, like here or are they different?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-SKBM-Whi ... Sw19dcaJoL
I don't need the spring nor the tactile leaf just the white plastic slider.

ppCircle

08 Aug 2020, 20:41

amigastar23 wrote:
Hey there,

today i wanted to clean my SKCM White Alps Keyboard but the Keycap broke inside and now i need a new white slider, can i use the slider from SKBM White Alps, like here or are they different?
You can just push out keycap mount element from slider and glue it back to keycap, if you can't then you can use that slider. They are the same.

amigastar23

08 Aug 2020, 21:13

ppCircle wrote:
amigastar23 wrote:
Hey there,

You can just push out keycap mount element from slider and glue it back to keycap, if you can't then you can use that slider. They are the same.
If you say they are the same you mean the SKBM slider is compatible with my SKCM Slider?
I really need an answer to this, guys.

hellothere

09 Aug 2020, 04:08

amigastar23 wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:13
ppCircle wrote:
amigastar23 wrote:
Hey there,

If you say they are the same you mean the SKBM slider is compatible with my SKCM Slider?
I really need an answer to this, guys.
amigastar23, are you saying you broke the slider for the switch or breaking the key stem from the key cap inside the slider or the slider itself?

Sorry to say, but I'm not a high enough Alps master to tell you if SKBM sliders are compatible with SKCM switches, though. If you did just break the key stem off the key cap, then what ppCircle said is correct: fish the broken part of the stem out of the slider and glue it back onto the broken key cap. Pic of a broken key stem below.
p21vdlf1fet21.jpg
p21vdlf1fet21.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 824 times

amigastar23

09 Aug 2020, 07:21

Hey Hellothere,

thank you for the answer
thats excatly what happened like in your Picture. But it's a complete mess, i can't use it anymore thats why i need a new slider since the stem sits deeply in the switch.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

09 Aug 2020, 07:56

If you remove the top housing and take out the slider, you should be able to poke the stem through from the bottom of the slider

ntv242

09 Aug 2020, 09:53

i had similar situation before and even taking out the slider, it was very very difficult to poke out the remaining keycaps stem due to how tightly fit it was to the slider. end up throwing away the slider haha

amigastar23

09 Aug 2020, 13:41

ntv242 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 09:53
i had similar situation before and even taking out the slider, it was very very difficult to poke out the remaining keycaps stem due to how tightly fit it was to the slider. end up throwing away the slider haha
yes, thats what happened to me also.
//gainsborough wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 07:56
If you remove the top housing and take out the slider, you should be able to poke the stem through from the bottom of the slider
doesn't work, unfortunately. It's not open at the bottom, from what i've seen.

Edit: i just bought 5 SKBM Switches, maybe the sliders will fit into my White Alps.

raptorzoz

09 Aug 2020, 17:54

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (200.11 KiB) Viewed 680 times
newest ebay pickup, looks almost NOS, getting delivered next week.

-Space-NATO-

09 Aug 2020, 18:09

Can you led mod an alps SKCM switch?

Myoth

09 Aug 2020, 18:11

-Space-NATO- wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:09
Can you led mod an alps SKCM switch?
no, unless you take out the leaf

zrrion

09 Aug 2020, 18:38

you have to linear mod them, and then you are free to LED mod them. it might be possible to stick an SMD LED to the top of a switch housing and run wires down the side, but that would really depend on the clearance allowed by your cap

Hak Foo

09 Aug 2020, 21:03

Could you put the guts into a (modified) Matias housing and use a SMD LED below the switch?

shallot

09 Aug 2020, 21:45

I've had success removing broken stems from sliders by inserting a thin flathead screwdriver into the stem's hole and then prising out side-to-side.

hellothere

10 Aug 2020, 00:09

shallot wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 21:45
I've had success removing broken stems from sliders by inserting a thin flathead screwdriver into the stem's hole and then prising out side-to-side.
I've used the smallest slotted/common/- jewler's screwdriver that I had to push down one side of the broken part, to make the broken part vertical -- if we're considering the broken part in the picture I stole is horizontal -- then I'd stick the screwdriver in the "hole" of the broken stem and lift it out. This worked out great on a 4-tab Alps clone keyboard of mine that had a few stems broken off: disassembling the switch without destroying it was a nightmare. Reassembly was basically impossible.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

13 Aug 2020, 02:04

I did some fun stuff with a dc-3014 of mine:

Spoiler:

It's got SKCL cream alps as it's main switch type, then an SKCL grey for the spacebar. The PBT caps are from an AT101, then I put an IBM PC convertible label on it because I had it lying around, haha. I think it's cute!

I can hear what you're saying, though - you're saying: "My God, //gains, what have you done!? You removed the blue alps from a dc-3014!?

Well, yes..... but

Spoiler:
I already have one with blue alps, and I love this chassis so much I wanted to justify keeping it. Thus, the different switch type =)

Polecat

13 Aug 2020, 02:56

Passed on two on ebay in the last year or so, $65 and $99. One just sold for $760, go figure! I'm happy with my 2214, replaced the white alphas with blues, just because I could.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

13 Aug 2020, 04:39

>_<

They are lovely keyboards! 760 is a pretty insane price though, holy cow. Mine weren't cheap either, but they weren't 760 expensive.

Polecat

13 Aug 2020, 04:55

Yeah, I was surprised by that. Several bidders really wanted it, and apparently got their stimulus checks at just the right moment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124235746943

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

13 Aug 2020, 05:18

It is a nice board, given that its alps with ANSI layout. Still $760 is nearing beamspring territory.

Chyros

13 Aug 2020, 09:31

Good-looking boards too, with a fantastically-sounding chassis and AE doubleshots. It's difficult to think of a better stock blue Alps board IMO xD .

Return to “Keyboards”