Thomas' Clicky Switch Compendium video

Chyros

03 Mar 2016, 21:26

Like clicky? You might just like this :) . Thanks for the generous donations guys :D !

klikkyklik

03 Mar 2016, 21:30

Very nice!

Engicoder

03 Mar 2016, 21:56

Great clicking. This video will be great to send to friends who will be completely confused. Out of curiosity, what was the averaging period for the software?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Mar 2016, 22:40

Is your awfully fast clicking for the sake of uniformity in the recording? Buckling Spring seems louder than what I'm used to but I never experience the switches externally.

seaworthy

04 Mar 2016, 00:00

Nice comparison. Thanks for reporting. I wonder if you could do a similar video with keycaps on? As you noted in the video, the various sounds would be much different, not to mention the multiples of combinations. Nonetheless, it would be very interesting.

Chyros

04 Mar 2016, 00:10

klikkyklik wrote: Very nice!
Engicoder wrote: Great clicking. This video will be great to send to friends who will be completely confused. Out of curiosity, what was the averaging period for the software?
Uhh I'm not sure actually, just long enough to give a stable line xD .
seebart wrote: Is your awfully fast clicking for the sake of uniformity in the recording? Buckling Spring seems louder than what I'm used to but I never experience the switches externally.
Yes, it is. Buckling spring really isn't a very good comparison because the environment is very different from what it normally is, I just included it for fun :) .
seaworthy wrote: Nice comparison. Thanks for reporting. I wonder if you could do a similar video with keycaps on? As you noted in the video, the various sounds would be much different, not to mention the multiples of combinations. Nonetheless, it would be very interesting.
The amount of combos would be insane xD . But maybe I'll do one switch with different types of keycaps.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

04 Mar 2016, 04:15

Lol at the mouse trap :lol:

Looks like model F is the loudest and most typewriter like :D

Chyros

04 Mar 2016, 08:53

Redmaus wrote: Lol at the mouse trap :lol:

Looks like model F is the loudest and most typewriter like :D
Yes, and this is probably the case inside of a keyboard, too xD .

jacobolus

04 Mar 2016, 09:07

Unfortunately, loose clicky switches aren’t very reflective of sound inside a keyboard. Cherry MX blue/green switches are nearly silent when loose, whereas in a keyboard they sound like two small children dressed in plastic armor pelting each-other with legos.

Inside a keyboard, among the switches you have there, Model F and amber Omron are the loudest.

You need to get some of those Univac magnet switches of HaaTa’s:
photos-f62/univac-f-1355-00-t6489.html

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2016, 10:05

Very true. Some linear boards are hella loud — Apple's 1984 Macintosh keyboard M0110 is a notorious example — because although their switches are quiet when loose, they are mounted in a reverberation chamber and start each other singing! Metal plates amplify sound. Cases can too. The M0110 has them both. It strikes me as tuned for loudness! But many boards are like this, especially clicky ones but not only them.

Model F is nothing when used in a switch tester. It only finds its singing voice when in a choir!

Return to “Keyboards”