Help Identifying for a newbie?

Wantsome92

23 Mar 2016, 23:17

Could someone confirm my assumptions here? I'm new to this, but I've spent a few weeks creeping around the forums just learning stuff. I've come across a lot of older tech equipment, and I've found quite a few of the following, I just want to confirm what I've researched:

I believe this is a IBM 5251 "beam spring" :

And this was connected to an IBM 5291 (The BigFoot?) ( actually have about 10 intact 5291 machines)

Am I correct in my research? Thanks in advance.

elecplus

23 Mar 2016, 23:22

Sounds like shark time to me!

scottc

23 Mar 2016, 23:56

Yes indeed, the first is a beam spring and the second is a Model F "Bigfoot". Nice finds! They're both great keyboards, with the beam springs being more sought-after than the Fs.

Wantsome92

24 Mar 2016, 00:14

Thanks Scottc. I came across a few of each, and a couple ZKB-2's. Going to keep one of each to mess with.

I guess my next question is what they're worth? I have more of them than I can use/mod. I just came across these today so I haven't had much time to go through them, but I don't believe any are missing any keys or anything.

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 Mar 2016, 00:22

I am sure you could fetch quite a bit for the beam spring, a few hundred dollars probably.

scottc

24 Mar 2016, 00:24

I think a few hundred dollars is a big exaggeration. Probably $150 ish for the beam spring, maybe $40-50 for the Bigfoots. The ZKB-2s depend on whether they use green or yellow Alps switches. I may be interested in a green Alps ZKB-2 as long as you're not planning on selling them at a very high price!

elecplus

24 Mar 2016, 00:25

I was told I should have sold mine for $200 or more, even though I had about 20 of them. I did not ask that much, but these are much harder to find now. It is up to you, where ever you feel comfortable selling.

ohaimark
Kingpin

24 Mar 2016, 00:26

$150 is a lowball based on what's been flying about on eBay. That might be a sane member to member (with love) price at DT though.

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 Mar 2016, 00:27

scottc wrote: I think a few hundred dollars is a big exaggeration. Probably $150 ish for the beam spring, maybe $40-50 for the Bigfoots. The ZKB-2s depend on whether they use green or yellow Alps switches. I may be interested in a green Alps ZKB-2 as long as you're not planning on selling them at a very high price!
Ah my bad, I was just going by from what I saw from previously sold eBay listings. Those were for different beam springs though, perhaps they are more rare then. Then again, eBay prices too..

scottc

24 Mar 2016, 00:31

People on eBay are ridiculous. For example, blue Alps boards are selling for $600. That is absolutely ludicrous price gouging. Nobody within their right mind could say that that is a reasonable price with a straight face. People list things like beam springs at ridiculously high prices and idiots sometimes buy them that high. I agree that $200 is an okay price for a beam spring, but it's still a big amount for a keyboard that you need to spend $50+shipping for a converter for just to find out that some key modules are already dead, in my opinion.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 Mar 2016, 00:35

Absolutely right Scott, looking foreward to seeing more of your nice IBM keyboards Wantsome92! Keep some for yourself. ;)

Wantsome92

24 Mar 2016, 00:40

Oh I am seebart! I've got the itch now..but felt like I should ask what they're worth rather than just sit on the ones I'm not going to use. Thanks everyone!

scottc

24 Mar 2016, 00:42

Welcome! There are plenty of guides about how to make converters for the Bigfoot and ZKB around. The beamspring is more complicated (like I said, a $50 converter) but perfectly doable and definitely worth it. Enjoy! :D

Wantsome92

24 Mar 2016, 00:51

scottc wrote: I think a few hundred dollars is a big exaggeration. Probably $150 ish for the beam spring, maybe $40-50 for the Bigfoots. The ZKB-2s depend on whether they use green or yellow Alps switches. I may be interested in a green Alps ZKB-2 as long as you're not planning on selling them at a very high price!
all of the ZKB-2s I found are Yellow Alps..1989 manufacturing date.

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Mar 2016, 00:51

scottc wrote:
People on eBay are ridiculous.

Nobody within their right mind could say that that is a reasonable price

People list things like beam springs at ridiculously high prices and idiots sometimes buy them
Ebay is the worldwide free market.

If a buyer will pay $10, $100, or $1000 for something, then that is the "current going rate"

You are a player or a spectator.

If you are the buyer or the seller, then you need to figure out how to make a fair deal with each other.

If you are neither, then don't criticize other peoples' transactions based on your own emotions.

Ratfink

24 Mar 2016, 02:17

Q-quite a few 5251 keyboards? On the off-chance that any is damaged beyond repair, I'd really like a couple switches to repair my Displaywriter. Otherwise, as long as you don't end up asking far over $200 I may be interested in a whole board.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 Mar 2016, 03:31

I would like a ZKB-2, depending on the price. You could get a very nice sum for the beamsprings, I am guessing about 200$.

Wantsome92

24 Mar 2016, 04:16

Ratfink wrote: Q-quite a few 5251 keyboards? On the off-chance that any is damaged beyond repair, I'd really like a couple switches to repair my Displaywriter. Otherwise, as long as you don't end up asking far over $200 I may be interested in a whole board.
I'll have to double check in the morning, I believe there are 5 of the 5251's, and I lifted and flipped all of them and didn't see any damage. I'll have a look in the morning.

Wantsome92

24 Mar 2016, 04:21

As far as the ZKB-2's go, they're all Yellow Alps which I understand are less valuable. I've sold two on E-bay, and I just kinda picked the middle of the two old Ebay ad's I could find. One went for $90 and one went for $70. Am I gouging people? or am I getting gouged?

TLDR: What are yellow alp 1989 ZKB-2's worth?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 Mar 2016, 04:32

Yellow alps worth probably around 30 or 40 dollars tbh. Green alps ones worth more around 90$. There are plenty of yellow alps to go around. It's green alps people want. I would be interested in some ZKB-2's even if they are yellow alps, because I like the layout.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Mar 2016, 06:10

Wantsome92 wrote: […] I'm new to this, but I've spent a few weeks creeping around the forums just learning stuff. I've come across a lot of older tech equipment, and I've found quite a few of the following, I just want to confirm what I've researched […]
Welcome, and thumbs up for doing your homework :D

keycap

24 Mar 2016, 13:49

Redmaus wrote: Yellow alps worth probably around 30 or 40 dollars tbh. Green alps ones worth more around 90$. There are plenty of yellow alps to go around. It's green alps people want. I would be interested in some ZKB-2's even if they are yellow alps, because I like the layout.
I must be way too used to worn-down Dell AT101Ws being sold for that price, with the only other keyboards being Chicony rubberdomes of which are called "clicky mechanical" by sellers.

For the record, I own a Chicony KB-2961 and it's not clicky... at all. Just really stiff domes that happen to be somewhat snappy. I really need to look around for better prices...

Chyros

24 Mar 2016, 15:09

Greens are great switches, but there's no reason why they should cost twice as much as yellows. The quality of the linear action is due to the general Alps design, not just because they're greens.

jacobolus

25 Mar 2016, 10:55

Those beam spring keyboards are worthless. You should just mail them all to me.

Chyros

25 Mar 2016, 13:51

No no, I hate them way more than Jacobolus does. Mail them all to me instead! I'll even cover the cost of the shipping for you!

tentator

26 Mar 2016, 09:50

I've never tried beamsprings but would most probably like it.. what really attracts me is those so beautiful spherical caps! Maybe not everyone likes untextured shiny glossy stuff under fingers.. ;)
The bad luck is that being in Europe those are difficult to find there and require big importing and shipping not to speak price itself just for something I've never tried.. :(

Scottex

26 Mar 2016, 12:52

tentator wrote: I've never tried beamsprings but would most probably like it.. what really attracts me is those so beautiful spherical caps! Maybe not everyone likes untextured shiny glossy stuff under fingers.. ;)
The bad luck is that being in Europe those are difficult to find there and require big importing and shipping not to speak price itself just for something I've never tried.. :(
yeah, living in europe isn't specially great in this hobby :cry:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Mar 2016, 13:11

ohaimark wrote: $150 is a lowball based on what's been flying about on eBay. That might be a sane member to member (with love) price at DT though.
You really like inflating the keyboard market, don't you? :|

lot_lizard

10 Apr 2016, 03:14

I picked up one of Wantsome92's 5251 boards off of eBay. This is in really nice shape with expected outer grime. I have several beamsprings, and this has been the cleanest on the inside to date for a black debris shield (it looks 5 years old vs 85 like most). I am currently taking apart and cleaning, and am about half way through the arduous task of yanking keys for their bath. So far, the shield is staying 100% in tact. I attached a pic of how the top housing (resin.. not metal) cleaned up. I have a couple spare controllers and solenoid drivers laying around, and should have it breathing within a week (have to travel for work the next few days). I will take better pics later, but if he listed another, I would be more interested knowing what I know now. Just an fyi...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (846.48 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

lot_lizard

10 Apr 2016, 03:46

Also... I'm planning on having the keyboard template insert printed using some old poster board stock. I will print several once I get it dialed in. If anyone else is interested in a template card, PM me.

Return to “Keyboards”