IBM 1387033

elecplus

25 May 2016, 22:47

I read online that the "unsaver" does not have a delete key. Is this true?
If so, then do you really have to go past the mistake and backspace?
How can you do Ctrl+Alt+Del without a Del key?

scottc

25 May 2016, 22:52

Isn't that a delete key in the usual spot? That <- legend, I think, was used for delete way back in early IBM terminal systems.

Seeing this just reminds me of how much I want one of these! Such a gorgeous keyboard.

hammelgammler
Vintage

25 May 2016, 22:54

Yeah I think so too. Would be unusual if there's not delete mapped to the key.

I can totally agree though, Unsaver is my favorite board of all time, but sadly I don't have one.

jeb

25 May 2016, 22:58

I think the key in the delete spot is actually back tab (accessed these days with shift+tab). The key in the lower right of that block may be delete, though? I'm not sure what those symbols mean.

elecplus

25 May 2016, 22:59

I just found a rather poorly done video of one on mashpedia, and yes, it is there. Wonder why the other fellow said there isn't one?

tentator

25 May 2016, 23:02

lol would be funny even if windows still did not exist back then when they created that keyboard! :))))

Halvar

26 May 2016, 08:37

Yes, the key with the striked out a is Delete, the key next to it is Insert. Ctrl-Alt-Del will still be hard to do as there is no Ctrl... :-)
Terminals were different beasts...

The symbols for Insert and Delete are derived from proofreading symbols like these:

http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/writing/symbols.htm

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

26 May 2016, 17:27

A with Hat = Insert
A with squiggly line = Delete

One simply does not Ctrl-Alt-Delete a mainframe ;)

Muirium
µ

26 May 2016, 17:32

Heaven forfend that DOS nonsense!

andrewjoy

26 May 2016, 17:36

All hail the mighty DOS, its a shame IBM whet with dos when they could have gone with CP/M (or is is CP\M i forget now).

Muirium
µ

26 May 2016, 17:40

Ach! Microsoft really got its tentacles deep in your mind if you can so easily mistake \ for that.

andrewjoy

26 May 2016, 17:52

Muirium wrote: Ach! Microsoft really got its tentacles deep in your mind if you can so easily mistake \ for that.

Hey i use UNIX all day In work !

Apple UNIX , guaranteed to have at least 25% more untested crap that does not work than your leading competitor.

Apple: ignoring power users on OSX since 29th June 2007

Muirium
µ

26 May 2016, 17:55

Whatever. Only Microsoft went with backslash for directory separators just to spite the world. The web went the UNIX way, the right way, because Tim Berners-Lee was using NeXT, not DOS or Windows.

andrewjoy

26 May 2016, 17:58

Muirium wrote: Whatever. Only Microsoft went with backslash for directory separators just to spite the world. The web went the UNIX way, the right way, because Tim Berners-Lee was using NeXT, not DOS or Windows.
i wonder if MS used \ or / in Xenix

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 May 2016, 17:59

Oh boy, this thread just turned into an OS war.
pur.jpg
pur.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Last edited by seebart on 26 May 2016, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

26 May 2016, 18:00

Not an OS war. But a very specific skirmish about / and \ !

andrewjoy

26 May 2016, 18:02

\ is on a nice big key in the ANSI layout , easy to get to see. / does make more sense however.

I vote we need a quota on the web, 50% / and 50% \ , its only fair right?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 May 2016, 18:04

My favourite part about this is having to replace \ with / when using windows paths in Java coding ...
Rich source of stupid errors ...

seebart

26 May 2016, 18:07

Even worse, \°°/. :mrgreen:

alh84001
v.001

27 May 2016, 00:23

Some nice info on the rationale behind path separator in Win and DOS - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/larryo ... character/

@Wodan just don't tell me there are String constants in code :) That's what File.separator is for.

y11971alex

02 Jun 2016, 16:39

daedalus wrote: A with Hat = Insert
A with squiggly line = Delete

One simply does not Ctrl-Alt-Delete a mainframe ;)
But you can Big Red Switch it. :shock:

elecplus

03 Jun 2016, 18:58

Finding these things is like pulling hen's teeth! There might be hope yet. Should know by Monday.

seebart

03 Jun 2016, 19:02

elecplus wrote: Finding these things is like pulling hen's teeth! There might be hope yet. Should know by Monday.
If anyone but you said that I would not give one cent. Again, and again and again:

thank you for your efforts Cindy!

hammelgammler
Vintage

03 Jun 2016, 19:22

elecplus wrote: Finding these things is like pulling hen's teeth! There might be hope yet. Should know by Monday.
Yeah if anyone can find an Unsaver with a reasonable propability then it's Cindy. I remember that huge stack of SSK months ago.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2016, 19:33

The NIB SSK haul? That was 2014 as I recall. (Had to wait until early last year to get my hands on mine, via luggage.) Time flies, like SSKs do!

elecplus

03 Jun 2016, 19:35

Yes, it was 2014 :-) Hard to believe I closed the warehouse a year ago.
I am trying real hard to make this the year of the unsavers, 4704s, and beamsprings.
I will keep trying :-)

Britney Spears

04 Jun 2016, 08:03

Wodan wrote: My favourite part about this is having to replace \ with / when using windows paths in Java coding ...
Rich source of stupid errors ...
Is there a good reason not to use the built-in abstraction for this problem?
I'm not a Java developer but is use it in Node.js all the time.

Edit: I see that alh84001 has already posted this. Damn!

Return to “Keyboards”