Experience with GH60 from FalbaTech?

face

20 Jun 2016, 12:56

Hallo,

since I am waiting on my Pok3r for four weeks now I'm thinking of cancelling the order and getting a GH60 from FalbaTech.

Does anyone have experience with them? How is their quality and how good are the Greetech brown switches as compared to the Cherry MX browns? I could of course solder them myself, but I wan't as less trouble as possible since I am stuck here without a proper keyboard.

I would like to get a fully programmable keyboard where I can set up a special key to press with a letter to produce \epsilon for Latex e.g.. I already had one Pok3r and noticed that you can't programm the shift-layers on a button properly which was uncomfortable.

Best regards
Max

czarek

20 Jun 2016, 15:09

Hey Max,
I doubt you will get any responses here because we haven't sold many of GH60s to our surprise really, given the fact 60% keyboards are so popular. Few of our keyboards are in use though, some by me, my brother, family and friends, one is also used by GH60's author - Komar07, who is very happy with the quality of it.

Switches are very personal thing, everyone likes something different. The good news is that we have ordered a batch of new Cherry MX Browns. Myself, I actually dislike all newly made cherry switches. I'm not a big fan of Cherry-likes at all to be honest. I do like linear cherry-likes. My favourite would be Vintage MX Black or modern Gateron Blacks. I do have a keyboard with Gateron Blue switches though (Code 87) which used to be my daily driver for a while, and I'm currently test driving GH60 with purple zealio switch (62g), which is also made by Gateron and reminds me MX Brown switches (my least favourite Cherry switch).

As for quality of everything else about this keyboard, cases are either standard Chinese made plastic, or custom made wood (which are absolutely stunning, everyone who has seen one in person was amazed). Keycaps are double shots made by Tai Hao, also decent quality.

And of course if you are worried about quality, remember there is 2 years obligatory warranty within EU. And also take a note that only couple (don't know how many exactly but definitely less then 10) of hundreads of ErgoDoxes we shipped over last years have returned to us for repairs. Also, ErgoDox is much more prone for mistakes and issues as it is built around Teensy and all of the parts are hand soldered. GH60 is machine soldered and only things that need to be installed manually are the switches.

If you have any doubts or questions, please contact me directly through FalbaTech as I'm not visiting this forum as often as I used to (mostly due to being super busy with my daytime job, and FalbaTech).

face

20 Jun 2016, 15:41

Hey czarek,

thanks for your answer! As it happens, I just asked over your website if you could sell them with Cherry mx browns too.

What I am thinking of is to use an ANSI-GH60 and remap the keys so I have some special characters to which I am used to, but with the benefit of bigger lshift and better placed enter-key than on the ISO layout. That's only possible with a fully programable keyboard and not with the Poker, it seems.
The reason I would like the Cherry MX browns is that from what I have read they're better than the Greetech browns (less scratchy), I cannot use the blues since they are too loud for my environment (girlfriend) and want some tactile feedback.

Honestly I don't understand why you don't sell many of these keyboards. It seems like a great package with a very fair price tag. Maybe one reason is that one don't find your shop easily though google! It took my quite a while to figure out that someone is selling these (or even any 60% keyboard) in Europe.

I think I will cancle my order for the Poker and take a look at your custom keyboards. They look like a far better value to me.

Kind regards
Max

GEIST

20 Jun 2016, 16:41

I bought a Poker a few weeks ago. A few days ago I stumbled over your shop (cause I'm interested in Ergodox) and discovered the GH60. I guess if I had to choose now I would probably buy the GH60, but I didn't knew it was available (and customizable) in Europe.

scottc

20 Jun 2016, 16:54

Hey czarek, while you're here would you mind sharing more details and pictures of the custom wooden case? It looks beautiful, but the website is light on details.

czarek

20 Jun 2016, 16:59

Max, you can get GH60 in ISO layout. We don't have ISO keycaps but you mentioned before that you will bring your own so that should not be a problem for you.
Don't listen to those that say that Cherry switches are smoother than the clones. Both Greetech and especially Gateron are much smoother than Cherry. It's especially noticable on linear switches. Out of bunch I'd say Greetech's browns are the best, but I should not be allowed word here since I don't like any brown switches (forcing myself to like purple zealios at this moment, but the more I use them the less I like them).
Also, if you don't like the switch, it's not the end of the world. In my ErgoDox I went through pretty much all combinations of Cherry and clones before I settled with lightened Vintage Cherry MX Black :) To me that's the most ergonomic switch under the sun. But remember, to me - doesn't mean it everyone will share this view.

GEIST, if you have a poker already, you may be interested in replacing just the PCB so you get fully customizable firmware. If you don't feel like doing it yourself, we can do it for you.

GEIST

20 Jun 2016, 17:07

czarek wrote: GEIST, if you have a poker already, you may be interested in replacing just the PCB so you get fully customizable firmware. If you don't feel like doing it yourself, we can do it for you.
Uh, that sounds quite interesting. How much would it be if you would change it (apart from shipping) ?

czarek

20 Jun 2016, 17:34

Replacing PCB, which means disassembly of old keyboard, unsoldering switches, soldering them to the new PCB, and putting it back together shouldn't take much longer than an hour. That would mean €20 for labour + €35 for the new PCB.

Scottc, I'm going to make some high quality pics of the new batch today after work. There are no photos that would show the feel of it though. It's very light, lighter even than the plastic case, kind of soft, and warm to touch. It's machined out of pine wood. The design is very similar to thin lip tex aluminium case, but unlike tex it's more universal - should fit any 60% keyboard out there. When we were designing it, we tested all Poker variants, KBP V60 (Cherry and Matias, they're the same anyways), GH60 and GON Nerd V60 with bluetooth module and battery. That's why you have more cutouts than in the standard case.
PCB is installed using metal inserts which are glued in, so no worries about breaking threads or anything like that, it's steel :)
Cases are finished using 5-6 layers of oil (different colours to chose from). We wait couple days between the layers and then extra 2 weeks after last layer for the oil to dry completely before shipping.
You can see that given the work required for production (apart from about 40 minutes on CNC, everything else is done by hand), the cost of those cases is pretty low.

czarek

20 Jun 2016, 19:21

Natural Finish (Pine Oil):
Spoiler:
GH60_wood_sosna_1.jpg
GH60_wood_sosna_1.jpg (394.68 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_sosna_2.jpg
GH60_wood_sosna_2.jpg (408.28 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_sosna_3.jpg
GH60_wood_sosna_3.jpg (479.49 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_sosna_4.jpg
GH60_wood_sosna_4.jpg (501.41 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_sosna_5.jpg
GH60_wood_sosna_5.jpg (625.83 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
Cherry Woold Oil:
Spoiler:
GH60_wood_cherry_1.jpg
GH60_wood_cherry_1.jpg (513.57 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_cherry_2.jpg
GH60_wood_cherry_2.jpg (428.89 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_cherry_3.jpg
GH60_wood_cherry_3.jpg (551.9 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_cherry_4.jpg
GH60_wood_cherry_4.jpg (530.02 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_cherry_5.jpg
GH60_wood_cherry_5.jpg (493.47 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
Vintage Oak Wood Oil:
Spoiler:
GH60_wood_buk_1.jpg
GH60_wood_buk_1.jpg (461.82 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_buk_2.jpg
GH60_wood_buk_2.jpg (486.8 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_buk_3.jpg
GH60_wood_buk_3.jpg (650.65 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_buk_4.jpg
GH60_wood_buk_4.jpg (654.14 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
GH60_wood_buk_5.jpg
GH60_wood_buk_5.jpg (516.05 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
Last edited by czarek on 24 Jun 2016, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

face

20 Jun 2016, 19:37

Wow, thanks for your great support! I cancelled my order on the Poker 3 and as soons as I have the money back (could take a while since the company isn't responding to my mails) I will order a GH60.

Thanks for your opinion on the Greetech switches. Wondering why everyone says they are scratchier... ok, better for me :) I don't like switches with a lot of friction, which is why I send back the MX clears despite I liked the tactility.
Haven't decided if I wan't the Greetech or if I am waiting for the Cherry batch. Maybe I'll wait till you have them in stock and decide depending on the price.

czarek

20 Jun 2016, 20:24

If you like really smooth switches. Gaterons are the smoothest out of the box. Especially linears.

scottc

20 Jun 2016, 23:33

Czarek, I thought the wooden cases were listed at 60 euro before? They're now 120.

GEIST

20 Jun 2016, 23:43

It seems to be a mistake on this page, cause if you click on the case to see the details they're still listed at 60, also in the customizer.

scottc

20 Jun 2016, 23:53

It's 60 until you choose one of the options at the bottom of the page, when it doubles... Can anyone from Falbatech comment?

czarek

21 Jun 2016, 08:48

Yea it's a bug in our store, we're working on it :)

face

21 Jun 2016, 09:01

Does the GH60 works with Mac?

czarek

21 Jun 2016, 18:13

Sure, why wouldn't it? In fact I'm using Mac to program it as it's easier to get whole setup for the TMK firmware on the Mac or Linux than on Windows.

face

21 Jun 2016, 18:43

Just wanted to be safe, thanks :) I've decided I want the original Cherry MX browns, so as soon as you have them in stock I will order.

jigg4

22 Jun 2016, 09:24

I just found the shop through this post. How does this pcb differ from the Satan GH60 sold on eBay and aliexprss?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Jun 2016, 09:30

Satan GH60 is not binary compatible to the REAL GH60. It's a cheap chinese clone instead and you will need a different TMK configuration. I wasn't aware of Falbatech and their really appealing prices and got five Satan GH60 before. Would trade them for three Falbatech GH60 if anyone's interested ;)

face

22 Jun 2016, 09:31

Seems like it is the chinese Version of the GH60. If you google you find a lot of people asking about problems with it....... but the pros certainly know it better.

Edit: Too late :)

jigg4

22 Jun 2016, 10:46

Are diodes (and resistors) pre soldered on this one?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Jun 2016, 10:49

Yes, very few PCB don't include that. Only one I know is Hasus Alps 60% PCB.

Stabilized

22 Jun 2016, 10:55

You can get Leeku, WKL, and Gon PCBs without diodes and resistors soldered to save money. I think it's about a $20 fee they charge to solder them: not cheap!

scottc

22 Jun 2016, 11:16

Almost all of the PCBs I've assembled needed it too. Most of them were prototypes or community projects or similar - THKB, qHACK, HyperMicro, production-run Phantom, Alps64. The nicer PCBs that I have (Whitefox, FaceW) didn't need it, though.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

22 Jun 2016, 12:23

Eh, I didn't you guys had GH60s at FalbaTech. Is there any difference between your and the one sold by Techkeys?

face

22 Jun 2016, 12:54

Stabilized wrote: You can get Leeku, WKL, and Gon PCBs without diodes and resistors soldered to save money. I think it's about a $20 fee they charge to solder them: not cheap!
20$ is cheap, if you're not a very fast and experienced solderer. I can solder and did it a lot in the past, but I am sure I would need a hour with all the stuff to be done and compared to a hourly rate thats a very fair and good deal... I wouldn't pay 30 or 40$ probably, but 20 is a nobrainer.

face

22 Jun 2016, 12:56

ramnes wrote: Eh, I didn't you guys had GH60s at FalbaTech. Is there any difference between your and the one sold by Techkeys?
For starters, customs... As it is a community project they should be basicly the same, if I understand it correctly. But I can be wrong, so don't quote me on this.
Last edited by face on 22 Jun 2016, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Stabilized

22 Jun 2016, 12:57

I don't think they will be soldering it by hand, probably using solder paste and a solder oven so that does cut down the time somewhat.

face

22 Jun 2016, 12:58

Stabilized wrote: I don't think they will be soldering it by hand, probably using solder paste and a solder oven so that does cut down the time somewhat.
Then you have to buy or build the equipment which is again time or money.

Return to “Keyboards”