Most Overrated/Underrated Switch or Keyboard?

Halvar

27 Jun 2016, 10:37

I don't agree. MX Brown are linears with the added benefit of just enough tactility to know where you are if you want to. "Scratchy" might be the first impression, but it is something totally different from scratchy once you get used to them. I prefer clicky switches, but if you don't want to annoy your coworkers with unnecessary clicking, MX brown is a good way.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Jun 2016, 10:46

I don't think MX browns are good switches, but I wouldn't say that they're overrated. People are not really praising them…

And I really don't see how M2 buckling springs are better than M. :shock:

Chyros

27 Jun 2016, 11:49

I agree, I see very few people rave about MX brown, especially if they've tried more than one switch :lol: . Personally I think they're the worst of all worlds xD .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Jun 2016, 11:59

You can be so mean Chyros!
MX Browns are simply not an enthusiast's switch. They're the entry drug for newly converted rubberdome quitters.

And yes there is absolutely nothing to rave about. There's bumpier switches and there's smoother switches and clickier switches ...

Oh meh I haven't typed on MX Browns in a long time!

face

27 Jun 2016, 12:42

Regarding browns: https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSI ... msg1521164

I used blues for years, but can't stand the sound any more. Too high pitched (the switch it self as well as the sound of my girlfriends voice when she complains every time I use it), personal thing.

But I still want tactility, since I am a writer, not a gamer. Try to find something for this except from browns! There is not much choice if you don't have the time to wait weeks for Zealios or working hours modding to clears (which I like, but are too heavy/have too much friction without mod for my RSI). So, browns often get the vote.
It's just that they are not the sexiest choice... "only" the perfect compromise between all worlds. They may seem scratchy in the beginning, but after using them for a while they get perfect.

In conclusion, I don't think they are overrated. They are just so much the 0815-weekday-choice for everyone that they won't be "expectional" or something. But they are very good switches.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Jun 2016, 13:02

I like MX browns, they seem to be the most hated MX switch. I like what people call that horrible scratchiness, obviously a highly customized tactility. :evilgeek: I pimped my MX browns recently:

keyboards-f2/ducky-pbt-keycap-set-laser ... 13751.html

Stabilized

27 Jun 2016, 13:45

I really like browns as well, the best solution I have come up with is Gateron brown stems in Cherry MX housings. So then you avoid the horrible leaf in the Gateron springs and have the smoothness and extra tactility of a Gateron brown switch.

Chyros

27 Jun 2016, 14:05

As much as I don't like them, I think I still like MX black less. Sometimes I get a bigger appreciation for switches after I try some alternatives but everything I've run into since that I've compared to MX black seems to be better xD . At least in MX brown the horrible tactility somewhat masks the terrible scratchiness a bit :p . And I think I prefer the weighting.

seebart

27 Jun 2016, 14:07

What people don't seem to understand the "terrible scratchiness" is the "horrible tactility" that is supposed to be that way. :lol: That's Cherry engineering at it's best! :lol: Also there's no valves or magnets involved Chyros that's why you don't like them! :evilgeek:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Jun 2016, 14:12

Smooth switches are for puffs!

Chyros

27 Jun 2016, 16:43

seebart wrote: What people don't seem to understand the "terrible scratchiness" is the "horrible tactility" that is supposed to be that way. :lol: That's Cherry engineering at it's best! :lol: Also there's no valves or magnets involved Chyros that's why you don't like them! :evilgeek:
YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!

seebart

27 Jun 2016, 17:00

:? :lol:

THE best Chyrosan video moment of all time. Don't get carried away with improv though... :maverick:

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Jun 2016, 17:04

Stabilized wrote: I really like browns as well, the best solution I have come up with is Gateron brown stems in Cherry MX housings. So then you avoid the horrible leaf in the Gateron springs and have the smoothness and extra tactility of a Gateron brown switch.
I have some Gaterons ordered - I'll keep this ^^^ in mind for my next build :)

scottc

27 Jun 2016, 17:33

What's wrong with Gateron leaves? :shock:

emdude
Model M Apologist

27 Jun 2016, 19:21

seebart wrote: What people don't seem to understand the "terrible scratchiness" is the "horrible tactility" that is supposed to be that way. :lol: That's Cherry engineering at it's best! :lol: Also there's no valves or magnets involved Chyros that's why you don't like them! :evilgeek:
What I find interesting is that some have the mentality that the clicky/tactile Cherry/Alps switches are unnatural because that clickiness/tactility was tacked onto what were originally linear switches. These people also gravitate towards buckling spring keyboards because it is part of the switch mechanism.

The way Cherry implemented tactility in their switches may have been pretty bad, but Alps did a great job themselves. No magnets or valves or any fancy doohickeys, but oh well. Their implementation of clickiness is more debatable, though.

Chyros

27 Jun 2016, 21:01

seebart wrote: :? :lol:

THE best Chyrosan video moment of all time. Don't get carried away with improv though... :maverick:
I like to break it up from time to time ^^ . I've got a nice scene planned for a future review too, I'm sure you'll recognise it when you see it :p .

Morituri

27 Jun 2016, 21:02

I have found about a dozen hall effect buttons. They have an awesome tactile effect because they work by bumping a magnet back and forth between the hall sensor and a ferrous plate. You get the tactile bump when the magnet disengages the plate and 'snaps' over to the (bakelite?) surface that separates it from the hall sensor. There's a tiny bit of travel before the bump because the plate is just a tiny bit springy and clings to the magnet until you've pushed the button down about 2mm.

And the damn things are a full inch across and can't be made into keyswitches.

God damnit. They're fucking wasted on elevator control panels.

Stabilized

27 Jun 2016, 21:15

scottc wrote: What's wrong with Gateron leaves? :shock:
I find that they are thinner and made from a different material to Cherry. It gives the keyfeel a more sharp unpleasant tactility, and they also give the switch a nasty metallic sound (in my opinion).

BimboBB

27 Jun 2016, 21:42

face wrote: It's just that they are not the sexiest choice... "only" the perfect compromise between all worlds. They may seem scratchy in the beginning, but after using them for a while they get perfect.

In conclusion, I don't think they are overrated. They are just so much the 0815-weekday-choice for everyone that they won't be "expectional" or something. But they are very good switches.
Agreed! Especially about "used browns". My daily driver since 4 years is a Filco with browns and its like they just getting better and better. You can type with them, you can game with them....dont need more.

nateth

28 Jun 2016, 01:19

ramnes wrote:Also, Alps keycaps suck balls, like... really. In comparison to Cherry keycaps, that's a big joke.
Too true. :(

tentator

28 Jun 2016, 10:24

Hi-something eléctrical engineering company
Do you have a better picture of that name?
Invisius wrote:
fohat wrote:
Invisius wrote:
These tactile yellow clones feel better than all the white, orange and blue ALPS boards I've used.
OK, I have to ask:

What the heck are those tactile yellow clones and where are they found?
Honestly I have no idea! They're from a Chinese marked and built board, with the only English markings shown on the PCB.
It's got a half-backspace and bigass enter, and the FCC ID on the back points to https://fccid.io/JO6RA-1D . They feel like blue ALPS with a chunkier click, metal plate, and decently thick PBT caps even!

Not sure if the legends are pad printed or dye-sub, but here they are:

czarek

29 Jun 2016, 09:19

I don't understand bashing MX Browns. They're far from my favourite switch, but tell you what. Cherry MX Brown and its clones (especially Greetechs which are IMO better than original) are the most popular switch we sell at FalbaTech.

Some say that it's only favourite for people who only tried one keyboard but no, I've been modding many Filcos / QFRs by replacing MX Blues with MX Browns as people were annoyed with the sound (and I love almost everything about Filco with MX Blue myself - to me it's one of the best keyboard experiences out of the box). And yes, to many people it's actually the favourite switch after they tried many other switches, including Alps and Buckling Springs.

I don't like them myself, and I do understand that many of you don't like them either, but don't bash others' opinions. I don't know about sales of other vendors, but from my experience they are the most popular switch out there, liked or loved by most people. Note that people coming over to FalbaTech in most cases are not keyboard newbies. They know exactly what they want when ordering a custom keyboard. So I'd say it's rather underrated on Deskthority.

Halvar

29 Jun 2016, 10:01

That's not how DT works though. ;)

For you, if you sell loads of them to other people, that's proof that they're underrated.

For your typical DT snob, If he doesn't like them and you sell loads of them to other people, that's the best proof that they're overrated! :D

Chyros

29 Jun 2016, 10:21

czarek wrote: I don't understand bashing MX Browns. They're far from my favourite switch, but tell you what. Cherry MX Brown and its clones (especially Greetechs which are IMO better than original) are the most popular switch we sell at FalbaTech.
You're almost giving the dictionary definition of overrated here :lol: .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jun 2016, 10:35

I demand to see that dictionary.

cookie

29 Jun 2016, 11:31

I just came here once again to emphasize that Topre is not overrated *flies away*

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2016, 11:33

Topre is not overrated, its overpriced for what it is. But they feel very good.

Halvar

29 Jun 2016, 12:05

Sure, Topre is not too bad for a rubber dome.

cookie

29 Jun 2016, 13:51

andrewjoy wrote: Topre is not overrated, its overpriced for what it is. But they feel very good.
I am speaking of HHKB/Realforce keyboards, they are top notch quality wise.
Probably the best "out of the box" products I've ever seen.

And yes, you pay premium for that but In return you get a very solid and sturdy case, timeless and classy design, one of the best caps money can buy, great typing experience plus reliability.

I don't think they are overpriced if you consider that they are made in Japan and they seem to have a great QA working there. I've never heared of someone returning a RF or HHKB for poor quality. More likely they are underwhelmed for the price, which is totally fine.

On the first glance they seem overpriced, especially if you compare them with what seems to be standard today e.g aluminium case, programmable controller, (Backlit, omg no please no!!!!) braided cables whatsoever.
Especially our picky keyboard enthusiasts set new standards to products, which is good but I still believe that premium products will stand the time. I can't see RF or HHKBs not being awesome in the future, especially if they'd follow modern trends. Those who like todays HHKBs would love to have a full aluminium body with steel backplate and plate mounted Topre switches... Mx compatible stems, dampening, proper feets. But sadly these companies are slow as hell.

I'd just like to put something in perspective here.
My 2005 HHKB smokes todays keyboards with ease, and it is 11 years old by now!

Just remember where we were 10 years ago where scumbag Razer came up with this pile of shit:

My Pro1 was 3 times the money of a crappy tarantula and I bet it will outlive plenty of them in it's lifetime.

Laser
emacs -nw

29 Jun 2016, 14:59

Because of DT, I actually avoided MX Browns at first; when I finally got a keyboard equipped with Browns, they didn't feel too bad; when I modded them with 65g springs, the trampoline mod and tall (OEM-profile) POM keycaps, that keyboard became one of my favorites.

Return to “Keyboards”