Keycaps for ALPS & Topre?

Jimi

17 Aug 2016, 13:44

It probably doesn't exist keycaps to fit both ALPS and Topre (as far as I could look for it), but the question is: It's possible?

amospalla
let's go

17 Aug 2016, 14:24

Caps designed to fit both? That does not exist AFAIK.

Jimi

17 Aug 2016, 14:33

Thanks, I've figured it out, but that's not what I'm asking. Sorry, I think I didn't explain myself very clearly.
I want to know if it's possible in theory. Like if it the measures would allow them both.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Aug 2016, 15:07

NMB dome with slider keycaps fit Topre although that was not your question. There are no keycaps that I know of that fit both ALPS and Topre.

keyboards-f2/hhkb-custom-keycaps-t9782. ... hkb%20caps

wiki/NMB_dome_with_slider

Jimi

17 Aug 2016, 17:08

I have wonderful paint brush skills, so I made this draw to ilustrate my doubt.
The black lines are the switch itself (housing?). The red lines are the keycap mounts.

So the thing is: The keycap mount from Topre can have the whole ALPS housing inside of it?
In other words, a keycap that suits both will have the whole standard Topre circle mount or this wouldn't allow to fit in the ALPS housing? Case 1 or 2?

Or maybe, for some reason i didn't see, it's impossible?

A simple test would suffice. Just need a Topre keycap and the ALPS switch.
I do have a Matias Mini Quiet Pro here but I don't have a Topre KB (i still plan to buy a Leopold 660 at the end of the year) so I can't make this test.

Edit:
FYI, I found this pdf on Signature Plastics showing the mount styles, but it doesn't have a specific Topre mount.
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/MountStyles.pdf

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Aug 2016, 17:23

At the bottom of the stroke, the underside of the Alps cap is very close to flat up against the switch body.
Whatever you did with the Topre stem, the Alps portion would have to be at the very "mouth" of the opening.

Chyros

17 Aug 2016, 17:31

seebart wrote: NMB dome with slider keycaps fit Topre
Wait, what? Oo

seebart

17 Aug 2016, 17:36

Chyros wrote:
Wait, what? Oo
What you did not know that?

emdude
Model M Apologist

17 Aug 2016, 18:26

Jimi wrote: Image

I have wonderful paint brush skills, so I made this draw to ilustrate my doubt.
The black lines are the switch itself (housing?). The red lines are the keycap mounts.

So the thing is: The keycap mount from Topre can have the whole ALPS housing inside of it?
In other words, a keycap that suits both will have the whole standard Topre circle mount or this wouldn't allow to fit in the ALPS housing? Case 1 or 2?
I cannot confirm this myself either, but I find it highly unlikely that you can have both. I'd imagine you can only have a slider support one or the other, like MX-mount Novatouch sliders.

Your diagram of the slider looks a lot like the Alps Integrated Dome, so you could probably have Alps-mount Topre sliders designed in a similar vein.

seebart

17 Aug 2016, 18:37

This is one idea that may theoretically be possible to design, actually building or having it built to where both types of keycaps mount properly is a whole task in itself.

Jimi

17 Aug 2016, 19:05

fohat wrote: At the bottom of the stroke, the underside of the Alps cap is very close to flat up against the switch body.
Whatever you did with the Topre stem, the Alps portion would have to be at the very "mouth" of the opening.
It's a little hard to visualize what you've said.
But it's a matter of height if I've understood correctly.
I confess that I didn't thought about it.

Well, what whould be the result of this?
The keycap would be higher on Alps switch?

Any image to help me understand?
Thank you, anyway.
emdude wrote: I cannot confirm this myself either, but I find it highly unlikely that you can have both. I'd imagine you can only have a slider support one or the other, like MX-mount Novatouch sliders.

Your diagram of the slider looks a lot like the Alps Integrated Dome, so you could probably have Alps-mount Topre sliders designed in a similar vein.
I was thinking more about the keycaps instead of the switch (slider?). Easier, if possible.
Besides, the slider in the case 2 would be fine, but what if the size is more like the case 1?
That would mean that the topre keycaps would have to be different as well. It's against the purpose.

Chyros

17 Aug 2016, 20:52

Chyros wrote:
Wait, what? Oo
No, not a clue oO . Fully compatible, right way up, everything?

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Aug 2016, 21:02

Jimi wrote:
It's a little hard to visualize what you've said.
But it's a matter of height if I've understood correctly.
I confess that I didn't thought about it.
Take your Matias switch and press it down, closed.
See how little space there is to work with?
Where will the bulk of the key stem and cap be when the switch is down?

seebart

17 Aug 2016, 21:16

Chyros wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Wait, what? Oo
No, not a clue oO . Fully compatible, right way up, everything?
They fit but don't mount firmly enough so there's quite a bit of wobble. It's not really optimal.

Chyros

18 Aug 2016, 00:16

seebart wrote: They fit but don't mount firmly enough so there's quite a bit of wobble. It's not really optimal.
Cool, you learn something new every day I guess :) .

seebart

18 Aug 2016, 00:22

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote: They fit but don't mount firmly enough so there's quite a bit of wobble. It's not really optimal.
Cool, you learn something new every day I guess :) .
Oh someone else found out a long time before me, NMB dome with slider keycaps should be way cheaper than Topre caps but due to the lously mount it's not really an option. The Topre switches sound rattly and feel wobbly with the NMB caps.

Return to “Keyboards”