- fitting in a 60% case
- no stabs, meaning no keys bigger than 1.75 units
- no vertical keys -> freedom to play with different profiles
- navigation keys
- lots of thumb keys
- Shift (as the most used modifier) used by thumb, not pinky
- for the rest: no too far "away', resembling more or less a 'normal' keyboard
- Enter not too far to the right

The Enter key was hard. A 2.25 key would fit perfectly (but would require stabs). I've solved it with a 1.75 key plus some space. Advantage is that there is no mistake where the Enter is.

Of course all keys can be assigned different meanings. The key beween the B and N may be a good DELETE key.

Thoughts, critique? Thanks.

davkol

30 Aug 2016, 15:33

NEC PC-9801-98-S02, notable features:
  • symmetry
  • surprisingly usable arrow cluster
  • extra hand separation
  • thumb keys

Findecanor

30 Aug 2016, 18:58

pietergen wrote: - fitting in a 60% case
A couple of years ago, we discussed fitting matt3o's "Steely" design into a Poker case and found that a few Cherry MX switches would be right above some screw holes.
Your layout might fit better. Maybe a few switches would just need to be rotated to have the pins away from the screw holes - those screws would not fit, but maybe the other screws would suffice to hold the PCB in the case.

pietergen

31 Aug 2016, 10:13

@davkol - thnx for the link. Those Japanse M-Type keyboards are great !

I've been thinking about a keyboard like this for some time. Meaning: thinking about it, and then forgetting it for a year :lol: Maybe it's time to really build it.

Here some slightly different versions:

As you see, the right hand has one column more than the left hand, because my layout (a personal AdNW-version) needs it, just like Dvorak and Colemak put one extra letter on the right hand home row.

Maximum hand separation would mean putting those alfa's competely to the right. More extreme would be to also put the left hand to the outside. Unfortunately this would mean: no modifiers in the usual places (the pinkies), so a further break from tradition. The mouse would be very close though.

pietergen

02 Sep 2016, 00:08

OK. I followed @davkol's suggestion. Tried to squeeze the NEC M-Type into a 60% form factor. Yes there were casualties :shock:

This is what it looks like - remember much of the damage comes from the 60% form factor....

Constraints & considerations:
- must fit in 60% form factor
- more letters on the left size to accomodate Dvorak, Colemak, and so on
- no stabilisators, so no keys bigger than 1.75u
- symmetrical
- ergonomical
- I felt that one big line F-keys needs some space inbetween, to make touch typing easier (find the right key without looking)
- There was no room for shifts and enter in the traditional places. Plus I felt that these are better typed with the thumbs.
- DEL feels more logical next to BackSpace; INS next to Enter. Of course all keys can be assigned other meanings.
- I had to get rid of 1 row (60% case constraint).

davkol

02 Sep 2016, 03:44

Have you considered screw-hole positions in 60% cases?

trans

02 Sep 2016, 06:19

Amazing that I just came across this post this evening by accident. I've been working on a similar layout. I feel I am nearly finished my design. Probably the main difference is that mine keeps the Shift keys, and focuses on having only four thumb keys. I decided it was just too uncomfortable to have more that that. I keep them relatively small too at 1.5 width -- I'd also like the to have 1.5 height and slope down like keyboards do (e.g. Dell). Oh, one other thing, I am making use of dual function keys. e.g. Esc and Ctrl are the same key.

The only thing I am not sure about yet is whether to the lower right and left sides use normal 1 unit keys, in which case one could use the right side for arrow keys (VIM style though), or not to bother and make them larger 1.25 keys. I already know I want a custom sideboard for numpad/dirpad/macros, so having the arrow keys isn't so important to me.

I'll try to get a pic of it up somehow. I'm working on it at http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com and I am not 100% sure how to share it.

pietergen

02 Sep 2016, 14:03

@trans, maybe this is some inspiration for you:

@davkol: to be honest, I didn't look at the screw hole locations...... Will you be building an M-Type ?

trans

03 Sep 2016, 21:53

Now I think you are smoking some good stuff ;-) Actually I have wondered why Yes and No aren't keys on standard keyboards, since that is the most basic form of acknowledgement. But I figure it has to do with keys needing to have multiple uses in different contexts. e.g Enter often serves the purpose of a default "Yes", along side it's CR function.

Also, the idea of keys in front of the spacebar (or vice-versa) to me is a good idea too, if they are low profile. That is sort of an option I am holding open for my design as a possibility, but something I will probably have to do later b/c it makes the actual build more complicated. In the meantime all my thumb keys are dual purpose, spacebar if tapped and modifiers if held.

pietergen

04 Sep 2016, 15:33

@trans = he he, I just put some words on those keys (More, Less, etc.) - you can assign any meaning to it.

I also think that more rows of thumb keys are a good idea, but I don know if it works...

davkol

04 Sep 2016, 21:03

I also think that more rows of thumb keys are a good idea, but I don know if it works...
I've used two rows of thumb keys on my ErgoDox (80keys, i.e., a pair of 1u keys instead of each 2u key) and a point-of-sale keypad before that. It works fine, provided the upper row is tall (I mean DCS R5 tall), while the bottom one is lower profile and angled the right way (e.g., inverted Cherry bottom row).
Will you be building an M-Type ?
More or less. My progress has been blocked by the screw-hole compatibility thus far.

Return to “Keyboards”