Clicky switches through the years

Chyros

22 Sep 2016, 17:44

Just a quickie. Hope you find it interesting :) .

alh84001
v.001

22 Sep 2016, 19:17

After that beamspring it would have been funny if you showed the IBM solenoid as well :)

Model F is missing (most of) the ping. Is that because of the mic, or because of the bottom not being metal?

Chyros

22 Sep 2016, 19:23

alh84001 wrote: After that beamspring it would have been funny if you showed the IBM solenoid as well :)

Model F is missing (most of) the ping. Is that because of the mic, or because of the bottom not being metal?
The bottom of the model F beneath the flipper isn't metal either, but for sure the material is influencing the sound. The Model M tester sounds way more pingy in this than it actually is, too.

POTV

22 Sep 2016, 20:46

Is the Alps Blue similar to the ones that are in the keyboards from Matias?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Sep 2016, 22:51

POTV wrote: Is the Alps Blue similar to the ones that are in the keyboards from Matias?
No not at all, but let OP tell you.

Chyros

22 Sep 2016, 23:23

seebart wrote:
POTV wrote: Is the Alps Blue similar to the ones that are in the keyboards from Matias?
In all fairness, I still haven't tried Matias switches inside a keyboard, so I'll be conservative with judging the keyfeel. The sound is quite obviously very different though, almost certainly due to the plastic they used for the shells (presumably to make it see-through). They sound more hollow and high-pitched.

That said, I've tried so many different switches now, and I'm really not sure ANYTHING will ever rival the sound of blue Alps.

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Sep 2016, 23:48

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
and I'm really not sure ANYTHING will ever rival the sound of blue Alps.
But that is entirely dependent on your definition of "rival" is it not?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Sep 2016, 23:55

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
In all fairness, I still haven't tried Matias switches inside a keyboard, so I'll be conservative with judging the keyfeel.
Matias switches feel like wobbly simplified Alps, light years away from SKCM blues, or any clean Alps SKCM/SKCL for that matter. I was shocked when I tried them in the Matias Ergo Pro Tour.

keycap

23 Sep 2016, 14:03

I think that Alps SKCM Blue sound really good but I alsolutely love the sound of Alps Plate Springs. Another really underrated keyswitch in terms of acoustics is the Alps Integrated Dome (black variant), very quiet linear switch. Even quieter than MX Blacks with O-rings.

Return to “Keyboards”