Different kinds of Model M's?

Ace
§

12 Oct 2016, 01:00

It's recently dawned on me that I prefer the Model M buckling springs to the Model F buckling springs, for reasons I can't really specify (don't kill me please).

Thus, I became curious. My favorite keyboard layout (probably ever) has been the Model F Space Unsaver. I know that there's the standard full size Model M, a spacesaver, and a terminal 122 key layout.

I wanted to ask the community, which tends to be much more knowledgeable than I am, if there are any other Model M variants that I'm not aware of. And specifically, is there a space-unsaver Model M? :|

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Oct 2016, 01:08

There is certainly nothing wrong with liking or preferring M to F. No there is no space-unsaver Model M that I know of, there is a rubberdome unsaver. Here you have a overview:

wiki/IBM_Model_M

Ace
§

12 Oct 2016, 01:22

seebart wrote: There is certainly nothing wrong with liking or preferring M to F. No there is no space-unsaver Model M that I know of, there is a rubberdome unsaver. Here you have a overview:

wiki/IBM_Model_M
That is extremely unfortunate. I was really hoping one would exist. I suppose I'll have to settle for the SSK. Honestly, why were numberpads ever put on the right hand side of keyboards? It's almost illogical. Where people just too lazy to learn how to move their left hands?

Anyway, I checked out the page. It says that terminal Model M's (122) are still in production. Is this true? does Unicomp make them?

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Oct 2016, 01:40

Ace wrote:
It says that terminal Model M's (122) are still in production.
Is this true? does Unicomp make them?
Yes to both. And, except for the case, cutting off the numpad is easy (provided that you can do a "bolt- mod"). Take it apart, use a hacksaw to cut off metal back plate and plastic barrel plate, and simply fold the membranes under to the back. No need to cut them off, that creates problems. Folded under, they are still "active" but simply never send out any signals.

Piecing together a cut case and an end cap is the hard part.

elecplus

12 Oct 2016, 01:41

I am thinking there is a buckling spring version of the 104 keys with a plastic back. Weighs significantly less thsn the F vrrsion, but more than the rubberdome. In fact, I sold about 6 of them on Dt a couple of years ago.

Ace
§

12 Oct 2016, 01:59

elecplus wrote: I am thinking there is a buckling spring version of the 104 keys with a plastic back. Weighs significantly less thsn the F vrrsion, but more than the rubberdome. In fact, I sold about 6 of them on Dt a couple of years ago.
Oh? That sounds interesting. Let me know if you get any more (though I doubt you will, if they're that rare).

Ace
§

12 Oct 2016, 02:02

fohat wrote:
Ace wrote:
It says that terminal Model M's (122) are still in production.
Is this true? does Unicomp make them?
Yes to both. And, except for the case, cutting off the numpad is easy (provided that you can do a "bolt- mod"). Take it apart, use a hacksaw to cut off metal back plate and plastic barrel plate, and simply fold the membranes under to the back. No need to cut them off, that creates problems. Folded under, they are still "active" but simply never send out any signals.

Piecing together a cut case and an end cap is the hard part.
See, the main problem here is that I've never done custom work on a keyboard before. Especially not ones like the IBM boards. I'd probably end up destroying the board functionally during the process. Besides, if one of the steps (piecing together a case) is considered "hard", even for someone who has the most experience with terminal 122s (you), there's no way I'd ever attempt it.

If I may ask, how is the quality on a Unicomp 122 compared to an IBM compared to a Model F 122?

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Oct 2016, 02:21

Ace wrote:
Besides, if one of the steps (piecing together a case) is considered "hard", even for someone who has the most experience with terminal 122s (you), there's no way I'd ever attempt it.

If I may ask, how is the quality on a Unicomp 122 compared to an IBM compared to a Model F 122?
I have never done any kind of mod to an M-122 and never even touched a Unicomp 122, but I will make an unsubstantiated statement that a Unicomp is *exactly the same* but with somewhat lesser quality control (and all the argument you hear is about what the definition of "somewhat" is).

Internal modifications are just tinkering and "bringing stuff back to life" or improving it. That is rewarding to me.

The "case thing" that I am talking about is literally cutting the ends off of a couple of pieces of plastic and glueing them back together. (Model F-122s sit bolted down into a metal pan and so the top case shell is truly irrelevant.) The trick is that if the alignment is not right, the case will not sit comfortably flat on the desk. Unlike the F, the case is important to the stability and function of the M.

And, honestly, I have only tried it twice, which is often not sufficient to really get there.

There is some reasonable chance that a modded M-122 could be fitted into a rubber dome "unsaver" case.

Return to “Keyboards”