Sun Layout - any Cherry, Alps, buckling spring, or others?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 20:35

I love the Sun layout! :D

There are a number of things I like:
- based on regular ANSI layout;
- media keys on the upper right;
- Function keys on the left

It's distinct from 122-key terminal layouts in that it still has a real, regular function row, and in inverted-T . Compared to a 122-key this board is also narrower and less deep meaning it is a better citizen on the desk.

Maybe the modifier row could be better, and Help might be better as two keys instead of one.

The sad part of Sun boards like the lovely Type 5c is that they are all pretty mushy rubber dome boards. At least the 5c has PBT dye subs, the 6 and 7 are progressively worse.

Does anyone know of any mechanical boards - namely with Alps, Cherry, IBM buckling spring, or other nice switches - that replicate this layout?

There is always the Omnikey:

It has a(n, ugh,) big ass Enter and no media keys.

There is always something the this Razer atrocity:

But, only one function row to the left, a weirdly spaced function row up top, and no media keys.

Then there is the Gateway AnyKey:

This is a nice board for a number of reasons but the Enter key and the mushy rubber domes ruin it.

There are of course the IBM 4704 boards:

It has no Function row at all.

Finally there is the great FK-9000:

Very good, but again, no inverted-T arrow cluster, a weird function row spacing (groups of three?!), and an odd numpad. It also comes with a broken calculator for free.

So - is it time to start making cases and PCBs for Sun-style Cherry and Alps boards? :roll:

Maybe I can get lot_lizard to make me an MF board in this layout. :ugeek:

zslane

17 Oct 2016, 21:11

Well, if you can live without the function block on the left, you're describing a standard ANSI-108 keyboard like the Varmilo VA108 and the upcoming Topre RealForce RGB.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 21:13

I've already got a Noppoo EC108. Yes, I want the function block on the left! Also, as a nice bonus, the Sun layout puts Control, Compose/AltGr, and Backspace where they belong. :evilgeek:

If nothing else I could make some Hall boards in this layout.

Laser
emacs -nw

17 Oct 2016, 21:22

Or a "docking station" (or "mother(key)board") for an attachable HHKB, adding function, arrow and media keys around it? :)

zslane

17 Oct 2016, 21:46

XMIT wrote: I've already got a Noppoo EC108. Yes, I want the function block on the left! Also, as a nice bonus, the Sun layout puts Control, Compose/AltGr, and Backspace where they belong. :evilgeek:

Wow, you are really determined to keep me from ever buying one of these HE boards... :?

Rimrul

17 Oct 2016, 21:46

XMIT wrote: The Sun layout puts Compose where it belongs.
You mean the bottom half?

elecplus

17 Oct 2016, 22:00

IMG_5623.JPG
IMG_5623.JPG (538.9 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
More than one way to add extra function keys :-)
A G15 with a G13 and another little pad made by Belkin.
Multimedia keys are included on the G15.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 22:02

The G15 has rubber domes, an Esc key in the wrong place, no multimedia keys, and the function keys to the left are not in the arrangement I'd like.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

17 Oct 2016, 22:38

Ewww. Logitech RD. XMIT, what do you do with the left function key block? My daily driver at work for the last two years is an ANSI-fied F-122. I assigned media functions to the left (with Unicomp's media keys), but I always forget to use them since it's so nonstandard. I have decided that my MFs will be programmed for a function overlay on the F keys for multimedia, mimicking my QFRs. I'm going to key switch swap to ergo clears in the QFRs. One of these days!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 22:55

Techno Trousers wrote: XMIT, what do you do with the left function key block?
Mostly I like having the function keys - F2, F5 and F7 most often - where they were, on the XT board I used as a kid.

Conveniently, that frees up the top row of keys to use as programmable function keys.

niomosy

18 Oct 2016, 01:47

XMIT wrote: I've already got a Noppoo EC108. Yes, I want the function block on the left! Also, as a nice bonus, the Sun layout puts Control, Compose/AltGr, and Backspace where they belong. :evilgeek:

Yeah but \| ends up in a horrible location with the Backspace adjustment and it's a key I use more than the backspace at work. I've still got a 5c keyboard at home but haven't had the misfortunate of having to use it in years. Can't stand that layout. I tended to try to use Sun 5c boards in ANSI layout whenever possible and, eventually, Sun just ditched the layout as well.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

18 Oct 2016, 02:07

How about this layout? I LOVE this keyboard.
Sun Compact 1 Keyboard
Sun Compact 1 Keyboard
Sun Compact 1.JPG (233.37 KiB) Viewed 3332 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Oct 2016, 02:30

That is a great layout! I only noticed just now, after all these years, that this board squishes together the function row to make room for the multimedia keys. Yikes!

Maybe there is room in this world for a TKL with function keys to the left?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Oct 2016, 09:57

Cherry G80-2100:
G80-2100 HDU top.jpg
G80-2100 HDU top.jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

Tipro (attach a 8x4 instead of a 8x8 matrix unit on the left side, switch Enter cap to ANSI, program each key as you like):
Tipro.jpg
Tipro.jpg (146.12 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

Return to “Keyboards”