Help about new keyboard

s0b

17 Nov 2011, 21:24

Hi all!

Since 1 year I have a Filco Majestouch with browns and I want to get a new keyboard. I have readed a lot but I can't decide between the 3 options, help please!

- Filco Majestouch with blues
- A ducky
- A Topre, but the price... if the difference is so great I'm willing to make the effort

I will use it essentially to programming and play SC2.

Very much thanks!!

CeeSA

17 Nov 2011, 22:04

maybe the great Keyboard Oracle will give you the advice you need.

My opinion:
Blues are sexy ;)
Ducky is no good because of the build qly.
Topre is very special. i didn't regret my bought of the all 45gr. Topre, but i am typing this on my white noppoo choc mini ;)

RiGS

17 Nov 2011, 22:42

CeeSA wrote:Topre is very special. i didn't regret my bought of the all 45gr. Topre, but i am typing this on my white noppoo choc mini ;)
How do those nice & thick white PBT keys feel compared to the Topre keys?

CeeSA

18 Nov 2011, 13:10

you mean the caps?

Maybe a slight advantage to the Topre caps.

fossala
Elite +1

18 Nov 2011, 13:13

Remember that the topres still have an abs spacebar.

cable

18 Nov 2011, 13:22

You've read a lot but you haven't actually tried the switches?

The browns are essential for both work and StarCraft II in my opinion, many pro-gamers (especially the StarCraft players in Korea) or whatever you want to call them, are usually either using browns or blues. It's a matter of taste though.

I guess you're a bit bored with your browns (maybe they're too light for you perhaps?), then the blue switches is a pretty sweet choice I guess. They ain't much heavier than the browns though. You need like 5g more pressure, which is nothing. But the clicky sound makes it all worth it.

If you still want tactile but a lot heavier, maybe the buckling spring switch would be pretty neat? If you still want the tactile feedback that is.

I've browns and blacks myself and I like both quite a lot. The blacks are a lot heavier and I kind of like it, right at this moment. But I can't deny that I haven't been thinking of buying another Filco with blue switches!

RiGS

18 Nov 2011, 13:24

CeeSA wrote:you mean the caps?

Maybe a slight advantage to the Topre caps.
Yeah I meant the keycaps. Is it because of the texture(key surface), or the dye subbed legends?
Have you tried any thick Cherry PBT keys?
Also IIRC you didn't like your KBC engraved keys. Why?
How would you rank all these PBT keys?

CeeSA

18 Nov 2011, 17:33

i have learned that i don't like otako, black on black or engraved, because i need legends.
Beige/white cherry PBT are very good in typing feel.

Ranking in feeling:
Topre
Choc mini
Cherry beige PBT
Doubleshots

i don't like splippery caps. More "resistance"feels great.
Worst for typing are the black cherry keycaps came with new boards today.

so all off topic but maybe helpfull ;)

Return to “Keyboards”