XT Model F: button registers only without the key cap

Cattus_D

02 Nov 2016, 13:05

Perhaps someone can help me with a problem that I'm having with one of my Model F boards. I recently cleaned it, after which the following problem started occurring: the comma key does not register with the key cap on, even though the spring seems to be seated properly: whenever I take the key cap off and touch it with my finger one or more commas will register. The same problem sometimes occurs with the stop. Could this be due to humidity? I've tried replacing the key cap with one from my other Model F keyboard, but to no avail.

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2016, 14:15

make sure there is no damp under any part of the switch. clean the PCB and flipper again and replace the spring

Cattus_D

02 Nov 2016, 15:46

Many thanks for the reply! Seems like I've got my work cut out for me. :-)

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2016, 15:52

OH , another thing to try first , swap the keycap with another , it could be damage to the cap.

Do the easy thing first

Cattus_D

02 Nov 2016, 16:31

andrewjoy wrote: OH , another thing to try first , swap the keycap with another , it could be damage to the cap.

Do the easy thing first
Thanks - I've already tried that. What still throws me is that I do get output if I carefully touch the spring without the keycap on. Makes me wonder what would happen if I'd meddle with the spring itself.

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Nov 2016, 16:36

You're changing the capacitance of the spring region with your fleshbag, I mean body, which may be why the PCB picks up a keystroke.

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2016, 16:37

you could pop the spring off with a toothpick and insert a new one if you have one , saves taking it apart the XT is the biggest pain in the arse to open.

Cattus_D

02 Nov 2016, 17:26

I gave swapping the spring a go. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem. It did improve my skills with toothpicks, though. :-) It seems this keyboard does, indeed, require more thorough repairs.

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2016, 18:17

if you don't have large strong hands, get clamps and a hammer, it will make getting the XT back together easy, the one pin that folds over , be very careful with it , only bend it up a tiny amount to get the plate out as it can snap and then you will be in a world of shit :P.

Cattus_D

02 Nov 2016, 18:34

andrewjoy wrote: if you don't have large strong hands, get clamps and a hammer, it will make getting the XT back together easy, the one pin that folds over , be very careful with it , only bend it up a tiny amount to get the plate out as it can snap and then you will be in a world of shit :P.
Thanks for the advice - worlds of shit I should like to avoid!

Return to “Keyboards”