M13 / M4-1 User's Guide (Keyboard with TrackPoint II)

micrex22

29 Nov 2016, 14:07

Here it is, the not-really long awaited User's Guide for KEYBOARD WITH TRACKPOINT II, also known as the Model M13.

There's a few (for me) notable highlights from the manual, the first being the reference to multi-coloured TrackPoint caps. It's not too well known now and perhaps even completely forgotten, but there was a time you could order different colours for your ThinkPad or M13 (black, blue, green, raspberry, yellow etc). The M13 shipped with black and red 'eraser head' style nibs, I don't know what the official name is if IBM ever had one.

The other thing was, I always wondered why the M13 came with a PS/2 splitter cable, apparently that was to connect to specific ThinkPads:

A note as to how this was compiled, because the document was originally a very wide rectangular booklet, I decided to include two pages per each PDF page: this reduces the size and amount of PDF pages required. Also makes it easier to read.

It was also the most irritating to scan due to the aforementioned nature of an odd rectangular booklet. Like the SSK manual this one is also first edition, I don't believe they were ever revised.

==DOWNLOAD==
http://ibmfiles.com/ibmfiles/peripheral ... t%20II.pdf
Last edited by micrex22 on 14 Dec 2016, 01:53, edited 2 times in total.

Menuhin

29 Nov 2016, 17:49

What I also wanted to know when I had an M13 with me was how the scrolling operation should be performed using the Trackpoint.
In retrospect, scrolling operation using the Trackpoint II was probably not yet implemented in the M13.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

29 Nov 2016, 18:03

Is this manual for the M13 or M4-1 instead? The poicture shows a tenkeyless model and looks a lot like the M4-1.

Chyros

29 Nov 2016, 18:11

Strangely, page 1, which is the Product Description page, is missing, so it might not be easy to determine that xD . I tried googling the 83G part number at the end but it gave no results - might be the manual instead. I don't know what the part numbers for M13s anyway.

dokyun

29 Nov 2016, 20:03

IBM part numbers from that time period should be documented with a FRU code, eg: "FRU#: 04Y0786". At least, that's the case with the parts on my Thinkpad 755. (interestingly there's a manufactured by Lexmark in Kentucky sticker on the back of that keyboard too...)

micrex22

29 Nov 2016, 21:20

snuci wrote: Is this manual for the M13 or M4-1 instead? The poicture shows a tenkeyless model and looks a lot like the M4-1.
This was the actual manual bundled with the M13s (I bought mine brand new sealed and this was what was included; along with all of the paraphernalia that's mentioned like the breakout PS/2, the PS/2 extender, coloured keycaps and diskette etc). It may however, have also been bundled with M4-1s as an 'agnostic' manual. You'll notice both the M13 (page 13)and M4-1 are periodically shown in diagrams throughout.
Chyros wrote: Strangely, page 1, which is the Product Description page, is missing, so it might not be easy to determine that xD . I tried googling the 83G part number at the end but it gave no results - might be the manual instead. I don't know what the part numbers for M13s anyway.
I totally forgot to scan that page for some reason... I'll update the PDF later and include it in.

The part number 83G9739 is indeed for the manual itself, IBM assigned part numbers (but not FRUs) to their documents. I'm guessing to keep track of what goes in what box when it's shipped out.

elecplus

29 Nov 2016, 22:07

13H6705 is the number for the M13

E TwentyNine

30 Nov 2016, 15:21

micrex22 wrote: This was the actual manual bundled with the M13s (I bought mine brand new sealed and this was what was included; along with all of the paraphernalia that's mentioned like the breakout PS/2, the PS/2 extender, coloured keycaps and diskette etc). It may however, have also been bundled with M4-1s as an 'agnostic' manual. You'll notice both the M13 (page 13)and M4-1 are periodically shown in diagrams throughout.
I don't see an M13 anywhere in the pdf (or any images on page 13 - scanned or 19/20). Can you be more specific?

evoman

03 Dec 2016, 01:27

I also purchased my M13 new, but don't remember seeing this info, so thanks for posting. I never really got on with the trackpoint on the M13, despite being a ThinkPad user for most of two decades. I imagine it is either a very old implementation of the system, or they used a less refined system on the keyboard.

Does anyone know if there is a relatively simple way to swap the trackpoint with a newer version? That could be a nice solution

micrex22

14 Dec 2016, 01:51

PDF has been updated to including the missing page 1. Page 10 was re-scanned since it bothered me. Page vii is now by itself to compensate for the addition of page 1.

It does appear that this manual was meant to apply to *any* IBM keyboard with a "TrackPoint II" mechanism, including the M4-1, M13 and possibly the KPD-8923 and both variants of the Space Saver II. This is even hinted at within the manual itself:
This keyboard works on IBM PS/2 and ISA-standard computers with 6-pin, mini-DIN, PS-style keyboard and mouse connectors. With the TrackPoint II built-in, this keyboard eliminates the need for a mouse. Two buttons below the Spacebar work like mouse buttons. Some keyboards also contain connectors for an optional numeric keypad and mouse.
...The drawings in this publication show the 84-key keyboard as an example... Attach the single connector end of the supplied keyboard cable to the TrackPoint II keyboard as shown. On some keyboards, the cable might already be connected.
(Emphasis mine)

I've updated the title of the thread as a result.
evoman wrote: I also purchased my M13 new, but don't remember seeing this info, so thanks for posting. I never really got on with the trackpoint on the M13, despite being a ThinkPad user for most of two decades. I imagine it is either a very old implementation of the system, or they used a less refined system on the keyboard.

Does anyone know if there is a relatively simple way to swap the trackpoint with a newer version? That could be a nice solution
The biggest problem of the TrackPoint II is just the lack of the middle button. It will otherwise behave the same as any other TrackPoint; perhaps a bit different in feeling on the M13 due to the very long stick and earlier stem that doesn't support my preferred 'cup' nibs (the ones with a concave dip). I'm not a fan of the buttons on the M13's TrackPoint either, very mushy.

You'd have to do some serious hacking to get the M13 up to snuff, along with proper tactile buttons for the TrackPoint. It'd make most sense to tear it out and implant something from a ThinkPad. I don't use the TrackPoint on my desktop machines (unless I am too lazy to take my hand off the keyboard while typing, lol).
E TwentyNine wrote: I don't see an M13 anywhere in the pdf (or any images on page 13 - scanned or 19/20). Can you be more specific?
I didn't get much sleep that day and was confusing different documents I was working with. That can be disregarded / there is no M13 pictured. The M13 is a lie.

Return to “Keyboards”