OMG, a truck load of IBM Model Ms...

Mattr567

20 Dec 2016, 04:46

So how do you plan to buy/save them?

Mr.Nobody

20 Dec 2016, 13:28

I have no plan nor means to save them, all I can do is to spread the info; hopefully, more people will buy from the seller and fewer Ms will end up in shredders.

Mr.Nobody

20 Dec 2016, 13:30

Today is a happy day, I bought a Model F AT and an SSK...both are in rather good cond.

micrex22

21 Dec 2016, 09:59

Mr.Nobody wrote: Today is a happy day, I bought a Model F AT and an SSK...both are in rather good cond.
The SSK is my most favourite (this is when mankind perfected the computer keyboard in its ultimate form--in my biased opinion) with the F AT being my least favourite*.

Which SSK is it? Early black label or later blue label?

*The F AT has the world's worst spacebar that still doesn't get better even when fiddling with the wire, with a layout worse than the F XT. Great for Model F parts. Guess I'll be burned at the stake for gutting my F AT resulting as a traitorous HERETICK.
Last edited by micrex22 on 21 Dec 2016, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Dec 2016, 10:01

Mr.Nobody wrote: Today is a happy day, I bought a Model F AT and an SSK...both are in rather good cond.
Pictures please.

Mr.Nobody

21 Dec 2016, 10:31

Tangtawan

21 Dec 2016, 22:24

would love to share my collection as well
Attachments
IMG_20161219_020320-01.jpeg
IMG_20161219_020320-01.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3162 times

Mr.Nobody

22 Dec 2016, 14:29

Cool, are those 50 key Ms programmable?

Mr.Nobody

22 Dec 2016, 14:39

Here is my F AT, arrived today, I love the black coating inside the casing but haven't adapted myself to the layout yet. I believe the more noticeable tatile touching is due the larger flippers in it. Comparing to Ms, F AT has more distantce to go after the tatile click...Now I know the famous PING people talk about and fond so much of ; it feels better because not only when you press down a key you have a beautiful click sound, but also when you release the key you have another click as good as the first one, but on Ms you don't have the second one.

It Did take me a little while to take the bottom case off, different design as to Ms, I think Ms' design is more simplistic and better, but it didn't take long to clean it up.

chzel

22 Dec 2016, 14:48

Nice!Just don't pull on the spacebar.

Tangtawan

22 Dec 2016, 19:16

Mr.Nobody wrote: Cool, are those 50 key Ms programmable?
you will need a separate controller for that, it wont work with normal SDL-PS2 cable since its not designed to be used with regular PC. For now, I only keep it as exhibition piece.

Muirium
µ

22 Dec 2016, 19:21

What Chzel said!

Reminds me of my first great haul from Cindy. Any day where an SSK and an AT shows up is a good day. They're both classics, and are a great sampler of what IBM was about.

Mr.Nobody

22 Dec 2016, 23:18

chzel wrote: Nice!Just don't pull on the spacebar.
Thank you ,I found a post on DT, it seems it's a bitch to take the space bar off...

Mr.Nobody

22 Dec 2016, 23:40

Muirium wrote: What Chzel said!

Reminds me of my first great haul from Cindy. Any day where an SSK and an AT shows up is a good day. They're both classics, and are a great sampler of what IBM was about.
I couldn't agree with you more...but the layout is a pain in the ass...it's not very useful but useable to me ...if only the layout was like M's and a detachable cable it'd be the perfect keyboard ever made.Holdng it in hand makes the Model FM project more appealing to me ...

Mr.Nobody

26 Dec 2016, 11:02

After several days of use, I've already get adapted to the layout of the AT, fxxking awesome keyboard...

seebart

26 Dec 2016, 11:09

Mr.Nobody wrote: After several days of use, I've already get adapted to the layout of the AT, fxxking awesome keyboard...
Really...
Mr.Nobody wrote: BTW, I just received the Model F AT...but a little bit disappointed...
wiki/Seebart
Last edited by seebart on 26 Dec 2016, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Dec 2016, 11:11

okay. everything's cool, but... how do I get one?

seebart

26 Dec 2016, 11:19

matt3o wrote: okay. everything's cool, but... how do I get one?
Win this:

keyboards-f2/your-fab-five-keyboard-con ... ml#p347803
lot_lizard wrote: Just a reminder that submissions close today. Then we will vote until New Year's day, with the winner getting the following IBM AT Model F

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Dec 2016, 11:28

Naah, I leave that to you guys! besides, I never win anything

Return to “Keyboards”