IBM Model-F-like keyboard designs

andrewjoy

16 Jul 2018, 01:06

Take ANSI split backspace and move backspace one row down to |\ and put CTL where caps lock is and you have THE layout. Only other thing you can do is split NUM pad + and add a tab ....... Layout perfection.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Jul 2018, 06:24

andrewjoy wrote:Take ANSI split backspace and move backspace one row down to |\.
Please, no. Unless this is an optional alternate config.

Rick, the layout looks nice and symmetrical, but have you prototyped the locations of the three space bars in actual use? From the picture I think my right thumb will impact exactly on the split between the second and third space bars (it hits just a little to the left of N). That would be ergonomically deadly.

RickCHodgin

17 Jul 2018, 17:38

Techno Trousers wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:Take ANSI split backspace and move backspace one row down to |\.
Please, no. Unless this is an optional alternate config.
Don't worry. My keyboard layout is as I have indicated.
Rick, the layout looks nice and symmetrical, but have you prototyped the locations of the three space bars in actual use? From the picture I think my right thumb will impact exactly on the split between the second and third space bars (it hits just a little to the left of N). That would be ergonomically deadly.
Good point.

The design has come from the Japanese keyboard spacebar layout which is used in selecting aspects of their language (the have over 120 Japanese symbols https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-to ... ge-1377131). When I came across that keyboard design, I began to see advances that could be had in modifying our long spacebar to incorporate multi-functionality in that footprint.

I will consider removing the Rux2 key and making just an Lux and Rux, and then changing the spacebar key spacing to meet ergonomic needs. My spacebar keystrike is between the B and N keys, closer to the N. It would definitely hit in the middle, but I had figured with a little tweak of my thumb position I would get used to it.

I have considered in recent weeks creating a combined spacebar which fits over both MSpace and RSpace making them strike together. I may also offer that as an alternative and keep Rux2. Not sure yet. I really like the idea of three spaces, and I can't really see a reason today for Rux1 and Rux2. :-)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

17 Jul 2018, 17:47

My own opinion is that two spacebars would be enough. I think most people would use the one under N/B as space, and the one to the left as backspace, like the "erase ease" configuration on some vintage keyboards. Or since it's reconfigurable, they might want to use it as an easy to reach modifier/function key.

RickCHodgin

17 Jul 2018, 18:06

Techno Trousers wrote: My own opinion is that two spacebars would be enough. I think most people would use the one under N/B as space, and the one to the left as backspace, like the "erase ease" configuration on some vintage keyboards. Or since it's reconfigurable, they might want to use it as an easy to reach modifier/function key.
My primary goals for these keyboards are for content creators and developers. I have an idea for the alternate space to allow a "non-space space" character typed into names which are to be contiguous (such as file names), but seek to be visually differentiated by their use of spaces. This would allow standard delineation by ASCII-32 (standard space character), along with the introduction of this new key which prints as a space, but is a different internal code.

In my programming language I have the Shift+Spacebar which does this today and I use ASCII-255 for this purpose. When found in source code, it takes the symbol name and inserts a thick blue underscore from where it is first found, to after it ends, one that's very pastel blue so it's soft in appearance, to highlight visually that the entire name is related.

In moving forward, I have specific goals for these products beyond general purpose keyboards for existing systems.

That being said, I like the two-spacebar idea. I will probably create a combined MSpace+RSpace uni-key that fits over both switches and would enable someone to retrofit back into two separate switches. I will adjust the spacing on them as well so when they are retrofitted they will be more in line with ergonomic needs.

I have greatly appreciated your input. It is consistent and rich. Thank you.

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2018, 18:18

Non-breaking space is a nice character. I do indeed use it quite routinely. Option + Space on the Mac, and typically something just as easy on other platforms. Well, besides Alt+666 Windows…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-break ... ry_methods

I’d use left space bar as a backspace key, myself. Programmability being the way to serve everyone’s desires.

Oh, one thing about bunging a big cap across multiple switches: it wobbles. Long keys really want stabilisers, not multiple (even just two) switch stems. That’s not an elegant hardware equivalent to a reprogrammable controller. Multiple space bars aren’t so easily papered over!

RickCHodgin

17 Jul 2018, 18:32

Muirium wrote: I’d use left space bar as a backspace key, myself. Programmability being the way to serve everyone’s desires.
The driver I have has multiple layers of programmability. One layer is a physical to logical layout, so you could re-map the LSpace key to be the BackSpace key, so that when you hit the LSpace, it actually emits a BackSpace keycode combination to whatever device it's hooked up to. Then from there you could do additional keyboard macros with it.
Oh, one thing about bunging a big cap across multiple switches: it wobbles. Long keys really want stabilisers, not multiple (even just two) switch stems. That’s not an elegant hardware equivalent to a reprogrammable controller. Multiple space bars aren’t so easily papered over!
We'll see. A stabilizer could be added even with one that spans two switches.

RickCHodgin

18 Jul 2018, 00:36

Techno Trousers wrote: My own opinion is that two spacebars would be enough.
I have made the design change. I now have an LSpace and an MSpace. The placeholder for the RSpace remains in the design, but there will be no physical switch for it installed by default.

If you select "Split" and move the mouse over the image, you can see how it went from three buttons to two:
http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/ ... d644d86e69

Thank you again for your guidance.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

18 Jul 2018, 01:22

That looks great! I'm happy to provide feedback, and really looking forward to seeing these in the real world.

RickCHodgin

18 Jul 2018, 13:37

Techno Trousers wrote: ...and really looking forward to seeing these in the real world.
You and me both. :-)

Chyros

18 Jul 2018, 13:54

Dis gon' be epiiiiiic :D .

Return to “Keyboards”