Suggestions for a split keyboard?

KeepClackingAnd...
Organizer Mechanicon

04 Apr 2017, 16:11

Hi!
I think I am ready to try out a split keyboard and would like to hear some suggestions/opinions about it.

It should have a more or less standard US-ANSI layout, as I don't think I want to learn some new orthogonal layout.
TKL or 65% style would be great.

Background: I started using a standing desk a couple hours a day and I think a split keyboard would allow for a much more natural way of typing. This is probably true for sitting too, I just feel it more when typing in the standing position.

fruitalgorithm

04 Apr 2017, 17:03

I use a Matias Ergo Pro at a standing desk every day. It's layout it easy to learn. It's fully split and supports tilting and tenting. While standing I find a negative tilt the most comfortable. The switches are Matias Quiet Click, which are a joy to type on, while remaining relatively quiet. The enlarged bottom row and bottom makes it very comfortable to use. The wrist rests are also really comfortable.

Kinesis Freestyle Edge is similar, but not available yet. It has features like macros, programming, backlighting, and more tenting options. So if you can wait half a year this might be preferable over the Matias Ergo Pro. The switches will be be louder though.

The Mistel Barocco has no arrow keys and has no tilting or tenting. So I wouldn't recommend it.

The Ultimate Hacking Keyboard is planned to ship in June and has a very interesting modular design. It's also fully programmable. But it doesn't have tilting or tenting.

If you want the most ergonomic keyboard, then the Kinesis Advantage is probably the best choice. It only has one fixed shape, but the keys are arranged in a bowl shape that fit the natural hand movements perfectly.

For an ergonomic split keyboard I think having some kind of tenting, tilting capability is very important. It makes a big difference in how comfortable you will be able to type on it.

Orthogonal layouts are easier to learn, than you think. Learning the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard's layout was suprisingly fast. I had more issues with an ErgoDox.

For a mostly normal layout in an ergonomic keyboard that's great out of the box the Matias Ergo Pro hasn't been beaten so far.

yensteel

05 Apr 2017, 09:15

You should check out the Kinesis Freestyle Edge. It has Cherry MX switches, and can be tented. It is also split, and is created by industry ergonomic vetaran. There's 58 Hours left in the kickstarter store. You can buy now to save $69 or you can wait for the official release.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/29 ... g-keyboard

Alternatively, you can check out the Kinesis Freestyle 2. Functionality it's the same, but it is only in rubber dome switches. It's cheaper at least.

KeepClackingAnd...
Organizer Mechanicon

05 Apr 2017, 09:17

Thank you for the hints! Matias Ergo Pro looks nice, but I think I might enter the Kickstarter for the Kinesis Freestyle Edge. Having an almost standard keycap layout is a big plus for me.

vvp

05 Apr 2017, 10:28

There is a big thread about Kinesis Freestyle Edge on Geekhack.
Don't worry about learning to use column staggered or orthogonal designs. They are easy to adjust to or to switch between them and a normal designs. And column staggered designs are definitely better than standard row staggering.

KeepClackingAnd...
Organizer Mechanicon

07 Apr 2017, 18:35

Uh, I wanted to back the kickstarter, but shipping to Germany is 85USD!

This is unacceptable. :cry:

Findecanor

07 Apr 2017, 20:33

The 5-keyboard bundle has $180 for shipping to Germany, but that's without lift kits. ($166 / keyboard in total)
I'm surprised to not see anyone do a group order.
Myself I'm not interested, or rather, I mean I would have been interested if it had been available in ISO but it isn't.

vvp

08 Apr 2017, 00:17

The shipping looks normal for a small company not having any volume discounts and requiring something with tracking across Atlantic.

If you think that it is outrageous then I got quoted about 60 € for shipping from Germany to Slovakia. It was nothing special. A small converter box from VGA to Component Video. Well, I found it also in China for half the price and shipping was about 15 €. No tracking and delivery time was about 3 weeks though.

KeepClackingAnd...
Organizer Mechanicon

08 Apr 2017, 07:15

I am just a little bit disappointed, because this really bumps up the price. I guess I will wait for a European reseller :)

mondalaci

18 Dec 2017, 16:43

Hi guys,

As the founder of the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard, I have a clarification to make: The UHK supports tenting, negative tilting, and positive tilting. Please see https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/blo ... y-complete

Cheers!

KeepClackingAnd...
Organizer Mechanicon

18 Dec 2017, 17:38

Sounds good! When will the UHK ship?

Hypnotoad

18 Dec 2017, 21:13

Return to “Keyboards”