I bought my first vintage mech and I can't identify the switch

MrCarri

12 Apr 2017, 15:03

Hello guys, I'm Carri and I'm new to this forum.

Yesterday I bought, a vintage mechanical keyboard, made by Adi. The thing is, I've been using it and it feels pretty good, I've always been interested in mech but never had one. So I found a cool old one in a second hand app, which seemed alright. The thing is, I asked reddit for help, so if someone could help me identify the switches before and then when I got it. Somebody said cherry MY but, I'm not sure, I've checked the wiki but they are not exactly like them, so I'm not that sure (I don't know if the keyword "cherry" should be in the switch). The keyboard is pretty yellowish, but I cleaned it and today I will try to clean the caps with peroxide to make them shine again. All the keys work except f1, but, I don't use it anyway

There are a few images, I think the keyboard was made in 1988.

http://imgur.com/a/eaSlp

thank you in advance :)

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Apr 2017, 15:37

It's a magnetic valve switch. I don't recall the name.

MrCarri

12 Apr 2017, 16:32

ohaimark wrote: It's a magnetic valve switch. I don't recall the name.
Are you sure? Everybody Is telling me different things :(

Nuum

12 Apr 2017, 17:13

Well, it's definitely not Cherry MY...

It should be this one: wiki/USw_EXBB01

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Apr 2017, 17:14

MrCarri

12 Apr 2017, 17:55

Nuum wrote: Well, it's definitely not Cherry MY...

It should be this one: wiki/USw_EXBB01
yeah, it might be this. Pretty weird in fact, not much is known about it. Thank you :)
ohaimark wrote: I'm sure.

photos-f62/adi-ki-5170-t6915.html
Well, It's not the same model but it seems it is, what are the conlcusions? the sound is pretty loud, but it reminds me a lot of cherry ones, with "+" shaped thing (I don't own one, sadly) Tank you anyway, if I'm able to clean it properly, I might do a post about it :) Looks like a IBM model M on surface. At least it seems to me.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Apr 2017, 18:02

The switches are the same, which is what I was trying to point out. I don't know if the caps are MX compatible. There really aren't many conclusions we can draw at this point, at least not new ones.

No problem. Let us know how it cleans up. It probably is a Model M clone, at least in terms of case design.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Apr 2017, 18:43

Interestingly it's got the same typeface on the keycaps as old BTC and old Key Tronic. We're still no closer to unravelling that, and whether both Key Tronic and BTC even used the same keycap OEM.

MrCarri

12 Apr 2017, 21:55

ohaimark wrote: The switches are the same, which is what I was trying to point out. I don't know if the caps are MX compatible. There really aren't many conclusions we can draw at this point, at least not new ones.

No problem. Let us know how it cleans up. It probably is a Model M clone, at least in terms of case design.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure is a clone. The keycaps are practically the same. I can upload a photo with the inside of the key, maybe it can throw more light to it:

http://imgur.com/a/muCaI

Scottex

13 Apr 2017, 11:20

MrCarri

13 Apr 2017, 14:28

LOL, thats fun because it's the exact same keyboard (Captain Obvious here) It seems the guy who started the thread didn't buy it. The same photos were posted in the app.Thank you, i'm having a sort of deja-vu while reading :lol:. I tried to search info about adi but didn't get much. I don't know what to say, really.

I did read in the same thread that The id matched ADI the monitor monofacturer.

Return to “Keyboards”