Total votes: 27

Lynx_Carpathica

23 Apr 2017, 21:15

Do you, or you don't?
Did it take a long time to get used to?
Thanks for your votes!

Chyros

23 Apr 2017, 21:19

Have tried it many times, but always found it confounding. I use Caps Lock somewhat frequently, too xD .

Lynx_Carpathica

23 Apr 2017, 21:32

Just out of plain courioucity, I binded Control to capslock, and scoll to caps. And I have No scroll like so :D
Tragedy. I took of the Control keycap to make me use the Caps lock. I actually like it.

SharpKeys for president :3

wobbled

23 Apr 2017, 21:35

Kind of forced to have it swapped since I'm using a hhkb at the moment, I prefer the standard caps lock and ctrl positioning though.

Slom

23 Apr 2017, 21:36

I set caps to AltGr, using the windows registry.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

23 Apr 2017, 21:41

I think that left of A is a much better place for Control than bottom left corner. It's a much more natural place for it as I use shortcuts almost everywhere I can and rest my fingers on the home row.

First time I tried it with an F XT because there was no place on bottom row to the left from spacebar for both Ctrl and Alt. Now I have it where Caps normally goes on all of my keyboards except one that is for gaming only.

Zombimuncha

23 Apr 2017, 21:50

I tried it just because my FC660M has a dipswitch for it.
I fairly often find myself needing to do a sequence lick Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Shift-V, or similar. With Ctrl up next to A, I needed to release Ctrl before I could hit Ctrl+Shift together. That's a whole extra keystroke. That I'm never getting back. Just to do the same thing as with the standard ANSI layout. I noped outta there in less than a day.

Khers

23 Apr 2017, 21:57

I have control to the left of a on all my keyboards. On those that have a key where the left control usually sit (I like HHKBs) that key is used to activate a function layer. Caps lock is about as useless as scroll lock and whatever lock; I don't think I've ever activated any of them on purpose.

evenlock

23 Apr 2017, 22:06

+1 khers, I think caps lock is good only for few purpose. I'm thinking a teacher that make sheet for students, fill out documents,...

Lynx_Carpathica

23 Apr 2017, 22:10

evenlock wrote: +1 khers, I think caps lock is good only for few purpose. I'm thinking a teacher that make sheet for students, fill out documents,...
My friend, and grandma uses it. Presses it, types in a letter, and turns it off. They can't use shift :lol:

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Apr 2017, 22:29

I've never given it a whole lot of thought. It never made sense to me, because I can't reach ctrl with my left pinky if it's in the caps lock position. I just realised though that, as a proper touch typist, the caps lock position would be easier to reach since it's on the home row.

DarKou

23 Apr 2017, 22:47

HHKB Layout forever! :D

davkol

24 Apr 2017, 01:18

I used Caps lock only back when I was stuck on Czech QWERTZ: it was the most convenient way to type capitalized accented letters (better than reaching for dead keys in corners of the main section).

Then I switched to Colemak and thus eventually Backspace in place of Caps lock. It was a great improvement at the time.

However, I've switched to keyboards with more thumb keys (e.g., ErgoDox) or "wide mod" since then. Now I can have the Backspace either directly under a thumb, or pretty close to the right pinkie (like on ANSI HHKB, but 1-2 columns closer). That frees up the original Caps lock position for something else: either Control, or Fn.

IMHO pressing combos like Ctrl-X Ctrl-C [in stock Emacs] isn't exactly great that way, though, and I'm leaning towards Fn in that position and Ctrl as a thumb key (or in the corner and pressed with palm/halffist).

vvp

24 Apr 2017, 03:19

I swap Caps with Esc.

Findecanor

24 Apr 2017, 04:10

I don't swap. The key to the left of A is a third Control key.

I have been used to that position since the Amiga days... where it was used not in desktop programs but in text-mode programs when dialing BBS:es. That was a long time ago.

ideus

24 Apr 2017, 04:30

I have it switched in all my boards using software that allows me to have my lap top switched as well.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Apr 2017, 13:58

I prefer it on 60%s, but tenkeyless and above I like it the normal way. with a 60%, I would just rather have the extra key on the bottom row to use as a second Fn. It is easy for me to switch between boards and layouts.

__red__

24 Apr 2017, 15:29

DarKou wrote: HHKB Layout forever! :D
... and by HHKB layout you mean ADM-3A, Apple IIe, IBM Model F XT, IBM System 9000, IBM Model F AT, IBM Model F 5155, IBM EMR I (and II), Model F 3101...

Just like the "LET" command that originated in Javascript :-)

Stabilized

24 Apr 2017, 18:55

HHKB made it famous though, none of those keyboards would have used it if it wasn't for keyboard hipsters with their HHKBs.

Madhias
BS TORPE

24 Apr 2017, 20:14

On boards with only ALT and CTRL I put - at work - CMD on the Mac and WIN for Windows on CAPS LOCK. I really like that setup, that I try to use it on all keyboard I use.
Stabilized wrote: HHKB made it famous though, none of those keyboards would have used it if it wasn't for keyboard hipsters with their HHKBs.
Haters gonna hate :)

Lynx_Carpathica

24 Apr 2017, 21:55

Madhias wrote: On boards with only ALT and CTRL I put - at work - CMD on the Mac and WIN for Windows on CAPS LOCK. I really like that setup, that I try to use it on all keyboard I use.
Stabilized wrote: HHKB made it famous though, none of those keyboards would have used it if it wasn't for keyboard hipsters with their HHKBs.
Haters gonna hate :)
I use CMD a lot on macs. I can understand that, though I've got use to Ctrl+esc on windows bc of my model m

__red__

24 Apr 2017, 23:36

I'll assume deepest darkest irony in this post since the ADM-3A pre-dates the HHKB by 20 years.

ADM-3A: 1976.
HHKB: 1996.

Since the original HHKB can with a Sun connector my money is on that they got the position of the CTRL key from the Sun keyboards at the time - For example, Sun Type 5 (1991).

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 Apr 2017, 23:50

I do not swap because I would feel weird switching things up even though I seldom use Caps Lock.

Having the Control keys in the corner feels more intuitive anyway; the positions of the keys required for the Z/X/C/V combinations (which I use most) match the curve of my hand.

__red__

25 Apr 2017, 01:29

It cause me RSI because I use ctrl-a so frequently (screen / tmux).

I would "tuck" my thumb under my hand and that's what wrecked it.

citrojohn

25 Apr 2017, 12:53

The only time I've used it was on an Acorn Archimedes, at school. Ctrl next to A didn't suit inexact typists, particularly since typing replaced the selected text... I was unusually popular when I found out where Undo was. :cool:
I'm not convinced it'd help me much, since I don't keep my hands on the home row (or even have all my fingers on it at once). But I'd be interested to try it - with a stepped Ctrl key!

Return to “Keyboards”