XMIT Hall Effect - Round 2 Design Thread

nickg

24 Oct 2017, 02:40

theres more than one modern halleffect :O

rich1051414

24 Oct 2017, 03:15

nickg wrote:
rich1051414 wrote: I wonder if tactile sleeves(found on many old keyboards) could be used on these to add tactility and help silence them. The case the slider is in has no innards, so it is prone to being loud and clacky.

Regardless, the smoothness of these switches is second to none if you drop a bit of lube on the slider tabs. I actually just used PTFE wet lube, and put a drop on each stem and let it penetrate and dry. The smoothness is unlike any other switch as there is no actual switch in there, it is just spring compression :)
So a drop on the cross thingy then let it drip down into the key?
There is no 'key', and the PTFE lube I used is totally electronics safe and non-corrosive. Even if it drips on the pcb and leaves an oily residue, it doesn't matter.

Honestly, it really is the lazy man's approach, but it worked for me. However, even without lubing the little arms that ride in the tracks, it is still fairly smooth, but you can feel the plastic on plastic roughness if you look for it.

Frankly I think the sound is what lets the keyboard down the most. The need for lube to get the epic smoothness people expected isn't a big deal, and most people would assume it would be necessary. The sound though is the one thing that disappointed me. However, if that is the only thing I can criticize the board for, then I think the potential for this keyboard is astronomical.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about the cherry stem keycap mount being slightly undersized as well.

dwolvin

24 Oct 2017, 16:44

I can't direct compare, but the XMIT one isn't plastic sounding. If I stop gorilla smashing the keys for a moment it's very quiet, and bottomed fairly hard they are loud but different from blues. And I hear that heavier keycaps quiet it down even more, but have not checked yet.

gogusrl

10 Nov 2017, 03:26

Just got the massdrop mail for Round 2. You have 5 layouts available but only the bamboo case option ? Are the pcbs compatible with an aftermarket case or something ? I love what you're doing with this, but not in that awful looking bamboo case :(

M4dn3ss

10 Nov 2017, 08:53

This has the potential to be the ultimate switch, with the smoothness and reliability of Hall Effect, keycap compatibility with Cherry MX, and tactile/clicky feedback in a similar manner to Alps.

However, the only question mark is the sound - having it still sound anything like this would be a huge let-down:

zslane

10 Nov 2017, 18:45

Yeah, the sound is bad because bottom-out and upstroke noise is not something manufacturers bother to address by dampening internally. Matias Alps and MX "silent" switches are the only ones that do, and each of those come with other issues (lack of keycaps for Alps, scratchy sliders for MX, etc.). These HE switches are an improvement in some ways (smoothness, reliability), but not in others (noise).

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

10 Nov 2017, 18:54

It sounds fine to me, but then again I love the sound of my F-122.

I'll be in for a clicky TKL, but I also wish there was an alternative case option. We need one of our community aluminum case makers to take interest in XMIT HE.

nickg

10 Nov 2017, 19:07

its up already? :O how long will it last? I wont have money this month for it. And are there recordings of the new clicky and tactile switches? and have the feel of the linear ones changed any?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

10 Nov 2017, 19:33

nickg wrote:its up already? :O how long will it last? I wont have money this month for it. And are there recordings of the new clicky and tactile switches? and have the feel of the linear ones changed any?
Check out the page on Massdrop. It's coming back on the 13th. No linear this go around but you should be able to remove the click leaves to mod the switches back to linear.

gogusrl

10 Nov 2017, 19:35

Not up already, will be online on Monday.

Just noticed (because massdrop didn't include it in the spec sheet at the bottom) that there's only clicky and tactile options available .... on a hall effect keyboard ...

Not sure how a 122 key version would sell better than a 75% or an ISO option or just the shitty black plastic case but now I'm just being salty.

M4dn3ss

11 Nov 2017, 02:53

zslane wrote: Yeah, the sound is bad because bottom-out and upstroke noise is not something manufacturers bother to address by dampening internally. Matias Alps and MX "silent" switches are the only ones that do, and each of those come with other issues (lack of keycaps for Alps, scratchy sliders for MX, etc.). These HE switches are an improvement in some ways (smoothness, reliability), but not in others (noise).
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of I would prefer it to be more "full" and bassy/lower pitch like old Alps switches rather than plasticy (but your considerations are valid too, for people who want quiet)

nickg

12 Nov 2017, 06:02

gogusrl wrote: Not up already, will be online on Monday.

Just noticed (because massdrop didn't include it in the spec sheet at the bottom) that there's only clicky and tactile options available .... on a hall effect keyboard ...

Not sure how a 122 key version would sell better than a 75% or an ISO option or just the shitty black plastic case but now I'm just being salty.
hmmm ill be on the fence then. Nothing will be able to beat the model F I have for a tactile board, unless someone remakes a beam spring or selectric. But for linear stuff hall effect is my jam now.

andrewjoy

13 Nov 2017, 12:06

The sound is the main reason i do not use mine , too much rattle for me.

Elrick

14 Nov 2017, 01:49

gogusrl wrote: Not up already, will be online on Monday.

Already there but having a huge problem on which switch to go for here, CLICKY (like my Model M) or TACTILE (like the traditional Cherry MX Clear) :shock: .

Haven't heard either switch as of yet just hope someone would provide the sounds to both switches because I want my switches LOUD and OBNOXIOUS yet must have style 8-) .
Last edited by Elrick on 14 Nov 2017, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

Elrick

14 Nov 2017, 01:56

M4dn3ss wrote: However, the only question mark is the sound - having it still sound anything like this would be a huge let-down:
Oh damn, it sounds so "TINNY" and cheap. Why is it when new keyboards with new switches are presented we get these mistakes and horrid sounds.

Was half expecting something of worth but the sound is definitely annoying, nothing at all like a Model-M or Alps based keyboard sound.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Nov 2017, 02:16

I ordered my clicky TKL. Hopefully it will end up in regular rotation.

Elrick

14 Nov 2017, 02:24

Just out of interest here, do these keyboards come with Danish Oil applied or some cheapo, Tung Oil instead?

Hoping you will not put anything at all on the Bamboo structure and leave it up to us the customers, to decide what to apply.

dwolvin

14 Nov 2017, 02:37

I'd ask that at the 'drop. Any info here would be the first round which were different, and might have even been made by a different company.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Nov 2017, 04:13

"The Hall Effect keyboard is covered from head to toe in epoxy coating, meaning it’s IPX-6 water resistant if you have an accidental spill."

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Nov 2017, 09:21

Elrick wrote:
M4dn3ss wrote: However, the only question mark is the sound - having it still sound anything like this would be a huge let-down
Seems pretty loud or is that just the mic?

rich1051414

14 Nov 2017, 09:27

Is there any hope in just buying the new switches? I already have the original linear board.

andrewjoy

14 Nov 2017, 10:59

Elrick wrote: Just out of interest here, do these keyboards come with Danish Oil applied or some cheapo, Tung Oil instead?

Hoping you will not put anything at all on the Bamboo structure and leave it up to us the customers, to decide what to apply.
Its cheap tung oil ( or at least round 1 was), i put some danish on mine tho after a light sand .

Elrick

14 Nov 2017, 12:46

andrewjoy wrote: Its cheap tung oil ( or at least round 1 was), i put some danish on mine tho after a light sand .
Thank you for that, I'm still umming and shifting in my possible decision to buy this keyboard, since my K-Type disaster.

Always when dealing with an organic casing you really do need the very best sealer for the product otherwise it will deteriorate over time. It might even be once a year wipe down, with some quality danish to best preserve it's features.

andrewjoy

14 Nov 2017, 13:36

I would also recomend some briwax over the danish oil . Protect it even more .

I did that over the end grain and it looks way better now and feels silky smooth.

Oh and i recomend Liberon Superior danish oil.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Nov 2017, 15:16

Elrick wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: Its cheap tung oil ( or at least round 1 was), i put some danish on mine tho after a light sand .
Thank you for that, I'm still umming and shifting in my possible decision to buy this keyboard, since my K-Type disaster.

Always when dealing with an organic casing you really do need the very best sealer for the product otherwise it will deteriorate over time. It might even be once a year wipe down, with some quality danish to best preserve it's features.
Let me try again. Quoting from the drop page:

"The Hall Effect keyboard is covered from head to toe in epoxy coating, meaning it’s IPX-6 water resistant if you have an accidental spill."

So it sounds like it'll be a sealed resin, rather than oils, this time around.

seebart

14 Nov 2017, 15:23

Chyros wrote: Smoothness. Definitely a massive priority IMO.

They're Hall effect switches, they are SUPPOSED to be smoother than any contact switch can manage. It's good, but it's not AS good as I'd have hoped.

Also the switch sound isn't that great, it's very plasticky.

Really though, I did and still do really like this board, I think it holds amazing promise.
Thanks for the honest feedback Tom. I'd love to try this but I'll wait for the next revision...

nickg

14 Nov 2017, 15:41

So if I understand this right its using leaf springs for the tactile and click? Thats cool kinda like apls/clones. With how smooth these switches are I can dig it, still not sure if Id rather wait for the next linear round though.

andrewjoy

14 Nov 2017, 15:44

Techno Trousers wrote:
Elrick wrote:

Let me try again. Quoting from the drop page:

So it sounds like it'll be a sealed resin, rather than oils, this time around.
Thats just the PCB as far as i am aware , its conformal coated

seebart

14 Nov 2017, 15:46

Who here actually has one of these, did I just miss the reviews or what?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Nov 2017, 20:28

seebart wrote:Who here actually has one of these, did I just miss the reviews or what?
There was a round one, with linear switches, and a lot of mini reviews of that. But I haven't seen any reviews of the clicky and tactile versions of the switch yet.

Return to “Keyboards”