On the Dialekt-Tastatur. Anyone translate Frankish dialect?

citrojohn

16 May 2017, 14:56

While investigating the Cherry Dialekt-Tastatur (aka G83-6919) I came across the following bit of text written in what's presumably Frankish dialect. I can get the gist of it with Google's help (FY layout is a revision of an earlier one, probably ZY, in response to suggestions from users), but I'm interested to know what the "hadden D" is and what the standard-German equivalent of "edzadla" is.
Franken reloaded!
Weltweit einzigartige neue frängische Dasdadur
Wir haben unglaubliche 1.000 fränkische Begriffe von unseren Kunden bekommen!
Nur die Besten wurden auserwählt und sind jetzt auf der nagelneuen frängischen Dasdadur! Unglaubliche 55 Neue Begriffe!
Böse Zungen behaupten, dass schon so mancher Franke die Suche nach dem „hadden D“ auf der Computertastatur erfolglos abgebrochen hat.
Mit der neuen „Dasdadur“ nur für uns Franken ist das „edzadla“ alles annersch!
Mit Liebe zum Detail wurde jetzt aus einer herkömmlichen Tastatur ein Blickfang für jeden echten Franken.
(reference: http://www.keybo.de/content/keybo.store ... /View/1340 )

Also
  • anyone know anything about the Cologne layout? The ? on the wiki page is bothering me... :geek:
  • were the G85-20050 Sondereditions only made in AY, BY and ZY? Seems odd they wouldn't do the full range. Perhaps the other layouts didn't sell...
Last edited by citrojohn on 16 May 2017, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

hansichen

16 May 2017, 15:12

The unique and world's only Franconian keyboard
We collected and recieved 1000 Franconian word suggestions from our customers.
Only the best suggestions got selected for the brand new Franconian keyboard.
Unbelievable 55 new terms
Malicious gossip say that some Franconian people searched unsuccessfully for a "strong D" on a computer keyboard.
With the new keyboard for us Franconian people everything will get different.
With love for details a normal keyboard has become an eye catcher for every real Franconian.
Strong D is referring to the Franconian way of saying T, if they talk it sounds like a D so people speak of the soft D for D and strong D for T. That's also the reason why Tastatur (keyboard) is written with D in the text.

I hope that this is understandable, for other Germans: feel free to correct or improve my text

citrojohn

16 May 2017, 16:26

Ah! Like English people's difficulties with the Scottish/German ch. (I sometimes think it must puzzle Germans that the English don't have that sound. Maybe we should invent a separate symbol for it...) Thanks for the translation - they're always better from a human! :)
The linguist in me now wishes to ask: how distinct are the dialects in practice? Do all the areas named in the Dialekt-Tastatur layouts have discernibly separate speech? Or is this more an excuse to sell novelty keyboards at a higher markup?

hansichen

16 May 2017, 16:39

It's mostly a different pronunciation and sometimes a different grammar or new words but the general language is the same. So if people with a dialect speak you may not understand it but if they try to speak normal (called Hochdeutsch) we can still talk together ;) It's probably comparable to the scottish english and other regional influences.

German people write in normal german so these boards are just a novelty. In contrast to germany the Austrian people are writing in their local dialect too. They only write in normal german when they have official texts. But even for them such a board would be only a novelty :D

Cattus_D

16 May 2017, 18:41

LOL, that's brilliant!

@ Hansichen - a language is ultimately little more than the standard dialect of a closely related group of language varieties, for lack of a better term. Hochdeutsch is just not as dominant in Austria as it is in most of Germany, for historical as well linguistic reasons. Having relatives in Niederösterreich I know how different the local dialects can be from Standard German.

Return to “Keyboards”