Wash day - IBM Model M SSK

ShivaYash

29 May 2017, 17:20

These caps wash so well. Image

I used denture cleaning tablets and warm water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wobbled

29 May 2017, 17:34

Those are some nice thick legends bruh
Last edited by wobbled on 29 May 2017, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

cookie

29 May 2017, 17:39

@wobbled Inappropriate meme, here we go...

wobbled

29 May 2017, 17:46

cookie wrote: @wobbled Inappropriate meme, here we go...
Sorry if you feel it's inappropriate, I just think it's a top tier meme but I will of course remove it if you're offended by it mate.

codemonkeymike

29 May 2017, 19:34

wobbled wrote:
Sorry if you feel it's inappropriate, I just think it's a top tier meme but I will of course remove it if you're offended by it mate.
It's objectively racist, leave that stuff on twitter and reddit.
Last edited by codemonkeymike on 29 May 2017, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

wobbled

29 May 2017, 19:40

codemonkeymike wrote:
wobbled wrote:
It's objectively racist, leave that shit on twitter and reddit.
I don't use twitter or reddit and I never intended for it to be racist... Considering most of my extended family are dark skinned that would make me quite the tool.

ShivaYash

29 May 2017, 19:45

It's my thread. I'm Indian. Thanks.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 May 2017, 19:51

Whatever that meme was I cannot see it now so that's taken care of. Whenever anyone feels offended they should say so right away.

scottc

29 May 2017, 20:02

wobbled: I've seen you post it before and it's a shitty, racist picture. It being "just a meme bro" doesn't absolve it of racism.

Just exactly this:
codemonkeymike wrote: It's objectively racist, leave that stuff on twitter and reddit.

wobbled

29 May 2017, 20:54

scottc wrote: wobbled: I've seen you post it before and it's a shitty, racist picture. It being "just a meme bro" doesn't absolve it of racism.

Just exactly this:
codemonkeymike wrote: It's objectively racist, leave that stuff on twitter and reddit.
For it to be racist it has to be directed against someone according to the definition. But don't worry, I wont be using that again as some of you seem to get very emotional very easily. My apologies.

ShivaYash

29 May 2017, 21:05

wobbled wrote:
scottc wrote: wobbled: I've seen you post it before and it's a shitty, racist picture. It being "just a meme bro" doesn't absolve it of racism.

Just exactly this:
For it to be racist it has to be directed against someone according to the definition. But don't worry, I wont be using that again as some of you seem to get very emotional very easily. My apologies.
Thanks for the patronising apology.

wobbled

29 May 2017, 21:12

Take it in whichever way you choose... If I didn't care about it affecting people I wouldn't have removed it. Now stop getting so worked up over a meme.

codemonkeymike

29 May 2017, 21:30

Forgive me, I should have PMed directly and not co-opted someone else's thread. I went back to remove my post after I thought this but you have already responded. I am not trying to be an ass whole and call people out. I will not do that again here. Sorry Wobbled, Sorry ShivaYash

wobbled

29 May 2017, 21:31

codemonkeymike wrote: Forgive me, I should have PMed directly and not co-opted someone else's thread. I went back to remove my post after I thought this but you have already responded. I am not trying to be an ass whole and call people out. I will not do that again here. Sorry Wobbled, Sorry ShivaYash
No need to apologize pal

Cattus_D

29 May 2017, 23:10

ShivaYash wrote: These caps wash so well. Image

Nice and shiny!

I wish modern keyboards came with keycaps that were this easy to clean.

alienman82

30 May 2017, 05:13

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

MrDuul

30 May 2017, 05:17

Awwww scrub a dub dub. Clean those dirty keys! :-)

BPX-926

30 May 2017, 09:12

Cattus_D wrote: I wish modern keyboards came with keycaps that were this easy to clean.
Are modern keycaps harder to clean?

In the past I have used dishwasher cleaner tablets and warm water to clean caps from a Dell AT101 keyboard. It has ALPS switches. Taking them off was a long process but they cleaned and dried easily. They looked like new after the process. They only had a little wear on them.

Do you have tips for cleaning modern caps?

evoman

30 May 2017, 10:39

Is there any risk of the denture cleaning tablets doing harm to plastics? A colleague suggested I use them to clean water bottles (stainless steel) and that has been brilliant, but I never though of using them for keycaps. I have a M13 in desperate need of a deep clean, so this would be a great solution (no pun intended)

ShivaYash

30 May 2017, 11:10

evoman wrote:

Is there any risk of the denture cleaning tablets doing harm to plastics? A colleague suggested I use them to clean water bottles (stainless steel) and that has been brilliant, but I never though of using them for keycaps. I have a M13 in desperate need of a deep clean, so this would be a great solution (no pun intended)
Its a very mild cleaner... I think you'll get a good result.
I've used retrObright on some of my older plastic computer peripherals and been really happy with the results, especially light coloured items that have yellowed with age.

Cattus_D

30 May 2017, 23:17

BPX-926 wrote:
Cattus_D wrote: I wish modern keyboards came with keycaps that were this easy to clean.
Are modern keycaps harder to clean?

In the past I have used dishwasher cleaner tablets and warm water to clean caps from a Dell AT101 keyboard. It has ALPS switches. Taking them off was a long process but they cleaned and dried easily. They looked like new after the process. They only had a little wear on them.

Do you have tips for cleaning modern caps?
Ah, I was really just referring to how easy they are to remove. Sorry!

I don't even use a key puller with my Model M, although sometimes I do have to cheat a little and use a knife blade to push the key cap up a bit.

Lots of my colleagues only have laptops, and only ever use the integrated keyboards - which you could hypothetically take apart so as to give them a thorough cleaning, but are clearly not intended to.

evoman

26 Jun 2017, 23:00

ShivaYash wrote:
evoman wrote:

I've used retrObright on some of my older plastic computer peripherals and been really happy with the results, especially light coloured items that have yellowed with age.
I just wanted to follow up to say that i went ahead and used this method for one of my Model Ms and it worked brilliantly. The keyboard was filthy, but also in nearly new condition, so it looks spectacular after the soak with some denture tabs. Thanks for posting this, it was really helpful

ShivaYash

26 Jun 2017, 23:01

evoman wrote:
ShivaYash wrote:
evoman wrote:
I just wanted to follow up to say that i went ahead and used this method for one of my Model Ms and it worked brilliantly. The keyboard was filthy, but also in nearly new condition, so it looks spectacular after the soak with some denture tabs. Thanks for posting this, it was really helpful
Good to hear. I do this every 12 months.

robotsokk

27 Jun 2017, 02:25

I personally use warm water and dishsoap, or warm water with a bit of baking soda and vinegar for cleaning. Would you say the denture tablets work better for you than those? Just curious.

ShivaYash

27 Jun 2017, 02:27

I imagine the denture tablets have some mild bleaching agent.

evoman

28 Jun 2017, 14:39

ShivaYash wrote: I imagine the denture tablets have some mild bleaching agent.

I am not sure about bleaching - it did seem very mild. The nice part was that it removed all of the surface muck without me having to do any agitation or other work. I just put them into a large bowl with a couple of denture tablets and left them over night, and then rinsed them well the next day.

The main issue was getting them dry after all that. I did a couple of runs through a salad spinner, which worked well, except many were wet inside where the orientation in the spinner did not dislodge the water. I wrapped them in an absorbent towel and agitated them a bit and then left them for a while to dry. It seemed to take quite a while for them to get totally dry

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jun 2017, 15:33

It would be more logical if denture tablets have less aggressive bleaching and cleaning ingredients as something where you don't put the cleaned object in your mouth afterwards.

czarek

30 Jun 2017, 22:25

Hmmm with PBT keycaps from Model Ms, Unicomp and Topre I never had problems when running them through "eco" program in a dishwasher with standard tablets. It's supposed to be a bit lower temperature than normal but still, keycaps are spottless after that, and never had problem with any discoloration, warping or label fading.

I once tried it with Filco ABS keycaps too. As you may guess, outcome was not nice :D

Return to “Keyboards”