Should I buy a HHKB

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

01 Jul 2017, 21:16

Laser wrote:
TuxKey wrote: Only problem is that when i'm using my FC660M with mx-clears yep that one isn't programmable and once you go fully programmable you won't like going back.. Really a shame that Hasu is not planning to make one for the FC660M..
He would be helping a lot of people and opening up that market for sure...
I think he *can't* - if I'm not mistaken, there is no separate PCB to replace.
I'm trying to find picks of the inside but can't
Usually there is a pcb to replace all the boards I have opened up had one.
Hasu said it's a completely different keyboard and he would need to do reverse engineering on the sucker. Here's the only pic I could find but looks like the same topre inside and not the mx versionhttp://bit.ly/2sz1Ytj



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerpyDash_xAD

01 Jul 2017, 21:21

If I find mine I'll take a look inside for you.
edit: I took a look and I have no idea where it is :lol: that's what happens when you don;t use a keyboard for a few years and move house....
Last edited by DerpyDash_xAD on 01 Jul 2017, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

01 Jul 2017, 21:22

DerpyDash_xAD wrote:I used to have f660M but I wasn't a huge fan of the layout. I disliked the buttons on the top right. I really love my pure pro and as I understand it that has a pretty similar layout to the hhkb.
Only gripe would be those keys on the left I would prefer more of them to add to symmetry but that doesn't bother me that much and the rest of the keyboard feels better like the bottom row and having an arrow cluster the hhkb can't beat that now way. Also it's programmable is those keys on the right do more like volume up / down. On the non programmable board I use insert as the switch key to move from one command line terminal to the second. Awesome for my work flow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerpyDash_xAD

01 Jul 2017, 21:24

TuxKey wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote:I used to have f660M but I wasn't a huge fan of the layout. I disliked the buttons on the top right. I really love my pure pro and as I understand it that has a pretty similar layout to the hhkb.
Only gripe would be those keys on the left I would prefer more of them to add to symmetry but that doesn't bother me that much and the rest of the keyboard feels better like the bottom row and having an arrow cluster the hhkb can't beat that now way. Also it's programmable is those keys on the right do more like volume up / down. On the non programmable board I use insert as the switch key to move from one command line terminal to the second. Awesome for my work flow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I get where you are coming from. But the ins/del really kill the a e s t h e t i c for me, i need a field of keys or no bueno.

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

01 Jul 2017, 21:34

DerpyDash_xAD wrote:
TuxKey wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote:I used to have f660M but I wasn't a huge fan of the layout. I disliked the buttons on the top right. I really love my pure pro and as I understand it that has a pretty similar layout to the hhkb.
Only gripe would be those keys on the left I would prefer more of them to add to symmetry but that doesn't bother me that much and the rest of the keyboard feels better like the bottom row and having an arrow cluster the hhkb can't beat that now way. Also it's programmable is those keys on the right do more like volume up / down. On the non programmable board I use insert as the switch key to move from one command line terminal to the second. Awesome for my work flow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I get where you are coming from. But the ins/del really kill the a e s t h e t i c for me, i need a field of keys or no bueno.

this would be my dream layout. knock of the F-row if you don't want that..the rest is as uniform as one can make it / have it.
dream_keyboard_layout
dream_keyboard_layout
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 21.32.12.png (60.33 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

DerpyDash_xAD

01 Jul 2017, 21:42

Pretty sexy. I don't see much need for an f row when you can have an fn key instead though. So I'd do that swap. CTRL and FN instead of Caps/CTRL combo for me also. dip switch to swap them. But that's a pretty solid design. But I get super wet for how minimalist the HHKB is, esp with the shell for the indents in the bottom left/right.... damn that looks good.

I considered upgrding to a fc660c when I had my M, but I got a pure pro for fairly cheap and i really liked it. My wrists were damaged in a cycling accident at the time which meant that even the cherry red was painful to use, so anything at all stiffer or tactile would've been agony. Thses days my wrists are nice and healthy though so the red is crazy light for me, i constantly bottom it out and it's too light lmao.

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

01 Jul 2017, 21:52

DerpyDash_xAD wrote: Pretty sexy. I don't see much need for an f row when you can have an fn key instead though. So I'd do that swap. CTRL and FN instead of Caps/CTRL combo for me also. dip switch to swap them. But that's a pretty solid design. But I get super wet for how minimalist the HHKB is, esp with the shell for the indents in the bottom left/right.... damn that looks good.

I considered upgrding to a fc660c when I had my M, but I got a pure pro for fairly cheap and i really liked it. My wrists were damaged in a cycling accident at the time which meant that even the cherry red was painful to use, so anything at all stiffer or tactile would've been agony. Thses days my wrists are nice and healthy though so the red is crazy light for me, i constantly bottom it out and it's too light lmao.

Sounds painful, i had an accident in the army couldn't walk for 2yrs so pain is not a stranger alas.
Glad to hear all is well now. cycling is the only thing after swimming that i can do, and i hate water if it's not my shower hahah..

You chould checkout the WhiteFox Haata's new Halo switch could be something to your liking.
i'm joined the K-type with Halo-true switches i sold my only TKL board so i wanted to add one to my collection.
And a fully programmable TKL board designed by input club sounds way better..
Just hope customs doesn't screw me but if they do that would mean an extra $80 on top of the $200

DerpyDash_xAD

01 Jul 2017, 22:11

TuxKey wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote: Pretty sexy. I don't see much need for an f row when you can have an fn key instead though. So I'd do that swap. CTRL and FN instead of Caps/CTRL combo for me also. dip switch to swap them. But that's a pretty solid design. But I get super wet for how minimalist the HHKB is, esp with the shell for the indents in the bottom left/right.... damn that looks good.

I considered upgrding to a fc660c when I had my M, but I got a pure pro for fairly cheap and i really liked it. My wrists were damaged in a cycling accident at the time which meant that even the cherry red was painful to use, so anything at all stiffer or tactile would've been agony. Thses days my wrists are nice and healthy though so the red is crazy light for me, i constantly bottom it out and it's too light lmao.

Sounds painful, i had an accident in the army couldn't walk for 2yrs so pain is not a stranger alas.
Glad to hear all is well now. cycling is the only thing after swimming that i can do, and i hate water if it's not my shower hahah..

You chould checkout the WhiteFox Haata's new Halo switch could be something to your liking.
i'm joined the K-type with Halo-true switches i sold my only TKL board so i wanted to add one to my collection.
And a fully programmable TKL board designed by input club sounds way better..
Just hope customs doesn't screw me but if they do that would mean an extra $80 on top of the $200
tbh I want a capacitive linear switch with long travel and a quadratic but regular curve. So it's low increase and then it gets pretty damn high fairly suddenly after actuation. I'm not a huge proponent of MX/slider/spring/leaf activation. I love cherry, but I think capacitive/hall effect is better.

User avatar
Laser
emacs -nw

01 Jul 2017, 23:02

TuxKey wrote:
Laser wrote:
TuxKey wrote: Only problem is that when i'm using my FC660M with mx-clears yep that one isn't programmable and once you go fully programmable you won't like going back.. Really a shame that Hasu is not planning to make one for the FC660M..
He would be helping a lot of people and opening up that market for sure...
I think he *can't* - if I'm not mistaken, there is no separate PCB to replace.
I'm trying to find picks of the inside but can't
Usually there is a pcb to replace all the boards I have opened up had one.
Hasu said it's a completely different keyboard and he would need to do reverse engineering on the sucker. Here's the only pic I could find but looks like the same topre inside and not the mx versionhttp://bit.ly/2sz1Ytj



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks as in the next link, from what I get the controller is on the main PCB: https://imgur.com/a/XdYxv

User avatar
PollandAkuma

01 Jul 2017, 23:11

HHKB no ragrats

I'm just kidding. I bought my HHKB, hated it, loved it, hated it, almost sold it a couple of times, once I touch it it's like drugs... Don't buy it it'll make you lovesick

DerpyDash_xAD

01 Jul 2017, 23:25

PollandAkuma wrote: HHKB no ragrats

I'm just kidding. I bought my HHKB, hated it, loved it, hated it, almost sold it a couple of times, once I touch it it's like drugs... Don't buy it it'll make you lovesick
lmao sounds good to me :lol:

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

02 Jul 2017, 09:19

DerpyDash_xAD wrote:
PollandAkuma wrote: HHKB no ragrats

I'm just kidding. I bought my HHKB, hated it, loved it, hated it, almost sold it a couple of times, once I touch it it's like drugs... Don't buy it it'll make you lovesick
lmao sounds good to me :lol:
Same feeling I have with my non topre mx-clear board hahahha can't wait to tryout a new switch designed by haata


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerpyDash_xAD

02 Jul 2017, 18:11

ETA is 14th - 30th apparently. My impatience is killing me.

User avatar
Troif

03 Jul 2017, 21:31

Should I buy a HHKB? YES. Plain YES.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ShivaYash

04 Jul 2017, 13:23

I'm selling one... ;-)
The HHKB is sweet, but it took me some time to fall in love.

User avatar
Trev

06 Jul 2017, 01:35

...And keep it because even if you eventually sell it you will want it again
Haha, this guy knows the score. This is exactly what happened to me.

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

14 Jul 2017, 06:15

I love how the question turned out to be a statement rather than a question hahaha the choice was already made ;-) not to worry everybody now and then needs hand holding


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerpyDash_xAD

22 Jul 2017, 01:21

Alright, my board arrived a few days ago. So I adore the layout, as I thought I would. It's great, couldn't be better. But topres are mediocre for me. They aren't bad, but they feel a little thunky, a little fat, and they are very NOT linear. Which is to be expected, but I really am a linear man through and through.

That said, I don't have any buyers remorse. The board is comfortable, looks amazing, has an awesome and fairly unique layout, and the keyswitches are good, but not great. I doubt I will change board any time soon unless someone comes up with a long stroke heavy linear switch. Which is never gonna happen ahaha :D

User avatar
wobbled

22 Jul 2017, 01:30

Damit I thought you were really disappointed with it and was going to practically give it away after reading the first sentence. I would've totally swooped in and saved the day by taking it off your hands :lol:

Enjoy the board dude! Topre is slowly becoming my all time favourite key switch.

User avatar
Trev

22 Jul 2017, 01:32

Just don't sell it! I much prefer my HHKB with a bit of lube (used krytox blend because I already had it on hand). Made it feel a bit more like Realforce.

User avatar
wobbled

22 Jul 2017, 01:34

Trev wrote: Just don't sell it! I much prefer my HHKB with a bit of lube (used krytox blend because I already had it on hand). Made it feel a bit more like Realforce.
Sounds like a bad thing in my case, I have always preferred both the feel and sound of case mounted topre over plate mounted.

User avatar
Trev

22 Jul 2017, 01:36

It feels a touch more like Realforce in terms of smoothness, not so much the stiffer metal plate qualities. The hollow HHKB thock is still there too. The lube just brings you a bit closer to experiencing oneness with the domes. ;)

User avatar
wobbled

22 Jul 2017, 01:38

Trev wrote: It feels a touch more like Realforce in terms of smoothness, not so much the stiffer metal plate qualities. The hollow HHKB thock is still there too. The lube just brings you a bit closer to experiencing oneness with the domes. ;)
Oh fair enough, if it makes it smoother then it's probably worth doing. I don't wanna use something weird like wd40 on a hkkb in case something goes wrong, where can I get some cheap lube for my hhkb?

User avatar
Trev

22 Jul 2017, 01:42

Krytox is a high-end wet lube often used for keyboard stuff, seems to work quite well in most cases as long as you don't over apply. Various keyboard shops and Amazon/Ebay sometimes carry it in smaller quantities. You can also use dry teflon lubes like "super lube" and other brands. These are cheaper and easier to acquire. Test it out on one slider to make sure you like it first. You need to disassemble the entire HHKB and pop out all of the sliders and carefully apply to contact points on the sliders themselves.

DerpyDash_xAD

30 Jul 2017, 15:32

yeah so I'm really not enjoying the topre feeling but the compact unix layout makes it worth it.

I will be searching ebay for a mx unix layout board, anyone know good models?

I don't want to dislike the hhkb but I just find the damn switches uncomfortable. I love capacitive switches from an electromechanical perspective but the rubber domes are just bleh bleh bleh bleh when I type on it....

edit: it also looks absolutely amazing. With the inverted front row also, it's simply gorgeous. But the feeling breaks my heart, it's genuinely uncomfortable.

It's not a tasteless feeling, but it's uncomfortable which is the issue.

User avatar
wobbled

30 Jul 2017, 16:13

DerpyDash_xAD wrote: yeah so I'm really not enjoying the topre feeling but the compact unix layout makes it worth it.

I will be searching ebay for a mx unix layout board, anyone know good models?

I don't want to dislike the hhkb but I just find the damn switches uncomfortable. I love capacitive switches from an electromechanical perspective but the rubber domes are just bleh bleh bleh bleh when I type on it....

edit: it also looks absolutely amazing. With the inverted front row also, it's simply gorgeous. But the feeling breaks my heart, it's genuinely uncomfortable.

It's not a tasteless feeling, but it's uncomfortable which is the issue.
You should totes trade it for my logitech k120 if you dislike it that much :)

DerpyDash_xAD

30 Jul 2017, 17:38

I mean, I'm still using it, but topre irritates me. And I notice it more over time.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

DerpyDash_xAD

30 Jul 2017, 18:04

I'm thinking I will DIY cherry mod it.

User avatar
wobbled

30 Jul 2017, 18:51

If you do that sell me your domes, I could do with some replacements for a pro 1 i have on the way.

DerpyDash_xAD

30 Jul 2017, 22:25

ahah, I'll keep you in mind bro.

Idk, My opinion on topre swings like the wind. It is in theory most of the things I dislike the most in a keyswitch -
short throw, lumpy feeling, very low weight to the bottom... but at the same time sometimes I don't utterly despise it. I never like it though. And it is a beautiful keyboard. Has anyone ever done a linear mod for topre? Because if so I might do that and mail you just the rubber dome sheet. I'd like it to remain capacitive and it would be vastly more simple than a custom PCB.

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”