Alps SKCM White vs. Buckling Springs over Membrane (Model M)

enrique.aliaga

07 Jul 2017, 04:57

Hello guys! This is my first post on the site, although I've been a fan for long time.

I wonder what's your opinion on the differences between SKCM (Complicated) White Alps and the Buckling Springs found on a typical IBM Model M.

I am making this question mainly because I am considering to buy a Northgate Omnikey Ultra with White Alps from eBay. I already own two Model M's: an IBM Model M 1390131 from early 1987 (with the "rainbow" back plate) and an IBM Model M SSK Blue Label from 1992. I love my M's to bits, but am very curious about how different they feel from White Alps.

As far as I know, both kinds of switches have similar actuation force (about 70 grams), and the activation point of Alps is very near the top of the travel. What else could be said about these switches?

Thank you all for your comments!
Last edited by enrique.aliaga on 07 Jul 2017, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

taylorswiftttttt

07 Jul 2017, 05:06

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Jul 2017, 05:28

White Alps keyboards are pretty cheap, frankly. I'm sure you can find one here for next to nothing. You can also check out a vendor site that tends to have good deals:

https://www.elecshopper.com/

Chyros

07 Jul 2017, 08:11

Personally, I consider membrane buckling springs to be on the same level as white Alps, and capacitive buckling springs to be on the same level as blue Alps.

Cattus_D

07 Jul 2017, 08:49

This is not entirely relevant to your question, but the two keyboards I use the most are my Dell AT102, with complicated black alps, and my IBM model M. The switch types are both very pleasant to use, although I do, ultimately, have a preference for the Model M buckling spring (which I also prefer to the Model F variety).

All in all, I'd just give those Alps switches a go. If you don't like the board, you can always try and flog it on E-Bay.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jul 2017, 10:33

I don't think it's possible to compare the two 1:1. Both have their own characteristics. One thing that really distinguishes the two is the mechansim in relation to dirt & wear. Alps SKCM are quite dirt & dust prone and do not age well. From what I have seen Model M buckling spring can still function in very extreme conditions and may have a longer lifetime. Clean complicated white Alps SKCM can be quite nice though. Finding nice clean unworn ones can taek time while Model M buckling springs can be found plenty almost anywhere.

THATGUY69

07 Jul 2017, 15:02

I do think that they are hard to compare, since they do feel rather different, plus there are so many different keyboards that have white alps. The heaviest keyboard I own, and the lightest keyboard I own both have white alps in them and I do believe that the quality of the board, not just the switches, makes a difference. I personally like white alps better than membrane buckling springs, for what its worth.

Return to “Keyboards”