Truly Ergonomic Keyboard Status

teck22

15 Aug 2017, 20:12

Hello!

For more than 3 years I use a TECK for work (programming) and at home, and really like it.

I'm currently using two 227 models. Unfortunately on the work keyboard (and also sometimes on the home) some well used keys (e.g. the letter e) very often only register after multiple keypresses.

Therefore I decided to get 1-2 new TECKs to replace the work keyboard and have another spare.

That was two month ago. Unfortunately the Truly Ergonomic Website does not have anything in stock now for some time, and nobody is reacting to my enquiries via the webform. Also on all other distribution sites I found the TECK is out of stock.

Does anybody know what's the status, if it is possible to buy new TECKs in the near future? Or is this marvellous programming keyboard very unfortunately not available any more?

I tried the ErgoDox EZ and the Kinesis Advantage 2 as replacements, unfortunately they did not suit me that much. Now I'm waiting for the keyboardio I preordered.

Thanks everyone.

davkol

15 Aug 2017, 20:22

teck22

15 Aug 2017, 22:12

Thanks, OK, that looks bad. Does anybody know if they might get back into business or there might be a successor to the current keyboard model?

davkol

15 Aug 2017, 22:24

It was bad from Day 1. Actually, Day 0 or Day -1 already, because TECK appeared to be vaporware for a very long time.

I'd forget about them. It's unfortunate, because that form factor is certainly appealing, but execution matters. The closest alternative is Atreus62… or Keyboard.io M01.

Kurplop

15 Aug 2017, 22:48

I used a TECK for a while and still have mixed opinions about it. Good build, fair ergonomic design, and nice size and look.
Unfortunately, it was plagued with several glitches; not the least being an unresponsive company.

Could your problem just be some faulty switches? If so, you may have a quick fix that would keep your TE going for some time yet.

davkol

15 Aug 2017, 22:58

Or replace the controller by a Teensy or something. It's quite a bit of work though: not for everyone.

teck22

15 Aug 2017, 23:40

Thanks for the tips, I assume for replacing one or more switches I need to disassemble the keyboard and do some soldering (which I have very little experience in)? If it would work and I could manage to do it, it would only be temporary, if Truly Ergonomic is not getting back into business.

What I'm looking for is a solution which is viable in the long run, because really learning a non standard keyboard takes (some) time. Therefore I might then better look at the alternatives, especially the Keyboard.io M01, which I will be hopefully getting soon. Or get an Atreus62 and try that one. Or back to the "standard" keyboard, which will be hard.

Kurplop

16 Aug 2017, 02:21

if the problem is more than at the switch,it may not be worth messing with it. The switch is an easy fix though; probably less than ten minutes. You could probably find someone nearby to solder it for you.

Return to “Keyboards”