how to improve scratchy NEC blue ovals

juryduty

18 Aug 2017, 18:43

Hi gang, I have an NEC 'blue oval' board I picked up a few months back and just got around to using it yesterday. I think somebody used the crap out of it, because it types fine, but is very scratchy and rough on the keyfeel. Also if you hit the key even slightly off axis it will bind on the way down.

I tried shooting some Dupont Teflon non-stick inside some switches, as well as Krytox 105 on the sliders, and both make almost no difference.

What's a good way to clean/lube these, since you can't open them without destroying the switch? Anything else worth trying?

balotz

18 Aug 2017, 21:40

juryduty wrote: Hi gang, I have an NEC 'blue oval' board I picked up a few months back and just got around to using it yesterday. I think somebody used the crap out of it, because it types fine, but is very scratchy and rough on the keyfeel. Also if you hit the key even slightly off axis it will bind on the way down.

I tried shooting some Dupont Teflon non-stick inside some switches, as well as Krytox 105 on the sliders, and both make almost no difference.

What's a good way to clean/lube these, since you can't open them without destroying the switch? Anything else worth trying?
I have a couple of these boards. I think they are similar to Alps in that scratchiness inevitably comes with overuse. I think someone on here desoldered all the switches from a board then soaked them in isopropyl alcohol, reporting an improvement in smoothness..

Moosewing

18 Aug 2017, 22:29

I tried soaking mine in isopropyl a while ago, but it didn't help much. I might have either soaked them too long or not long enough, though. Might give it another go today.

Elrick

19 Aug 2017, 12:19

Moosewing wrote: I tried soaking mine in isopropyl a while ago, but it didn't help much. I might have either soaked them too long or not long enough, though. Might give it another go today.
It's the dust that has infiltrated the switch and I have never heard of anyone that has been successful, in thoroughly cleaning this type of switch.

You may now wonder why they are selling them so readily, mainly due to this condition otherwise if they were still in their pristine original condition, most would never be sold off.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

19 Aug 2017, 14:55

balotz wrote: I think someone on here desoldered all the switches from a board then soaked them in isopropyl alcohol, reporting an improvement in smoothness..
Yeah, that was me, and there is only so much you can do for them. Try to find clean ones. Correct: there is no way to open them without destroying them.

I personally can't use these because they always actuate before the tactile response, which is a dealbreaker for daily driver use for me. :cry:

Return to “Keyboards”