IBM Model M Without Rubber Mat

THATGUY69

19 Aug 2017, 17:11

Hello, I recently did a restoration of a model M, including bolt mod and new springs and hammers. While assembling, I decided to leave out the rubber mat due to reading an old post saying it improved the key feel. I can agree that it does improve the key feel and the sound. So my question is has anyone actually done this and if so what is the longevity of the membrane without the rubber mat? It's not that big of a deal, since I can pick up a new membrane from unicomp for about $15 usd. I'm just curious.

just_add_coffee

19 Aug 2017, 18:33

THATGUY69 wrote: Hello, I recently did a restoration of a model M, including bolt mod and new springs and hammers. While assembling, I decided to leave out the rubber mat due to reading an old post saying it improved the key feel. I can agree that it does improve the key feel and the sound. So my question is has anyone actually done this and if so what is the longevity of the membrane without the rubber mat? It's not that big of a deal, since I can pick up a new membrane from unicomp for about $15 usd. I'm just curious.
I've done this, but not on a daily driver, and I don't know what to think about longevity. I suspect that it has an effect ... instead of a membrane lasting a decade or two, it "only" lasts five years or so. But that's just a guess, and a lot depends on usage. Also, Unicomp membranes seem a bit less durable than the originals to me.

Personally, I think the tradeoff of membrane longevity for the sound and feel is well worth it! Leaving that rubber mat off makes the Model M very F-ish, and that's an upgrade to me! :D

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Aug 2017, 20:21

THATGUY69 wrote:
I can pick up a new membrane from unicomp for about $15 usd. I'm just curious.
A new Unicomp mat is a very thin white latex material that yields different and more lively characteristics.

PS - be sure and refer to it as a "blanket" - in Unicomp parlance a "mat" is the silicone thing with rubber domes.

emdude
Model M Apologist

19 Aug 2017, 22:13

fohat wrote:
THATGUY69 wrote:
I can pick up a new membrane from unicomp for about $15 usd. I'm just curious.
A new Unicomp mat is a very thin white latex material that yields different and more lively characteristics.

PS - be sure and refer to it as a "blanket" - in Unicomp parlance a "mat" is the silicone thing with rubber domes.
I can attest that replacing the original, thick mat with a new latex one from Unicomp really does improve a Model M's sound and tactility. My current driver, an SSK, uses one.

If nothing else, I would think the mat keeps dust out of the membranes.

Return to “Keyboards”