Questions on Behavior of Griffin iMate ADB to USB Converter

orihalcon

25 Sep 2017, 05:15

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone who owns a Griffin iMate can comment on its behavior in a few scenarios:

What does the power switch on the keyboard (top right key on an AEK) do if used with Windows versus Mac?

Does the "numpad equal" do anything when using the converter with Windows versus Mac?

Does a locking caps lock key have the LED indicator correctly match whether the caps lock key us up or down, or does the caps lock key have to be pressed twice to turn it on and off?

What if caps lock is pressed on a different keyboard attached to the same computer? Does the caps lock LED on the ADB keyboard change to reflect the current caps lock state of the other keyboard? Is this behavior the same in both windows and mac?

Mattr567

25 Sep 2017, 05:19

orihalcon wrote: Hello All,

Wondering if anyone who owns a Griffin iMate can comment on its behavior in a few scenarios:

What does the power switch on the keyboard (top right key on an AEK) do if used with Windows versus Mac?

Does the "numpad equal" do anything when using the converter with Windows versus Mac?

Does a locking caps lock key have the LED indicator correctly match whether the caps lock key us up or down, or does the caps lock key have to be pressed twice to turn it on and off?

What if caps lock is pressed on a different keyboard attached to the same computer? Does the caps lock LED on the ADB keyboard change to reflect the current caps lock state of the other keyboard? Is this behavior the same in both windows and mac?
On Windows/Linux:

Power key does nothing, numpad equal does nothing

Caps lock works as it should. If another kbd is attached the caps lock LED will do as the other keyboard does. For example, if caps lock is on and another kbd turns it off, when you release the lock switch it reverses on the AEK.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Sep 2017, 10:51

orihalcon wrote: What does the power switch on the keyboard (top right key on an AEK) do if used with Windows versus Mac?
Nothing.
orihalcon wrote: Does the "numpad equal" do anything when using the converter with Windows versus Mac?
Nothing, but I have not checked in a while.
orihalcon wrote: Does a locking caps lock key have the LED indicator correctly match whether the caps lock key us up or down, or does the caps lock key have to be pressed twice to turn it on and off?
No, once.
orihalcon wrote: What if caps lock is pressed on a different keyboard attached to the same computer? Does the caps lock LED on the ADB keyboard change to reflect the current caps lock state of the other keyboard? Is this behavior the same in both windows and mac?
Not sure, I'll have to check that. I know that the iMate has no problems with on the fly conections of other keyboards while connected.

orihalcon

25 Sep 2017, 13:55

Thanks for those responses!

I was looking at some reviews of the iMate online and they seem to be mostly positive and no one really mentioned that certain keys don't like the pad equals with no explanation if there would be a way to remap using the iMate. Can remapping of pad equals be done in software on Mac/Linux/Windows with iMate, or no?

I realize Hasu's converter is superior in every way to the iMate, though I'm curious how fans of the iMate have gotten around these things, or if these tend to be used as is.

Final question is whether there are any other peculiarities in daily use of the iMate, or does it work reliably for everything else as expected?

seebart

25 Sep 2017, 16:50

orihalcon wrote: Final question is whether there are any other peculiarities in daily use of the iMate, or does it work reliably for everything else as expected?
Works well for daily usage, honestly equals numpad does not bother me much. The real plus of the iMate is the swappability just like your Soarer cable converter, one solution for many keyboards. Of course it is far inferior to Hasu's solution.

macboarder

26 Sep 2017, 20:35

When I used mine on Windows, all the modifier keys registered as the left ones, so I couldn’t do any AltGr combinations.

seebart

26 Sep 2017, 20:36

macboarder wrote: When I used mine on Windows, all the modifier keys registered as the left ones, so I couldn’t do any AltGr combinations.
oO...hmm...strange.

macboarder

26 Sep 2017, 20:50

I forgot to mention the same modifier behavior on macOS, but on that system it doesn't matter which Alt is used for accented/special characters. I got my iMate from the US - maybe the firmware wasn't made with ISO support at all.

seebart

26 Sep 2017, 21:24

macboarder wrote: I got my iMate from the US - maybe the firmware wasn't made with ISO support at all.
Right. :roll:

davkol

26 Sep 2017, 22:31

macboarder wrote: When I used mine on Windows, all the modifier keys registered as the left ones, so I couldn’t do any AltGr combinations.
I believe that's a feature of the ADB protocol.

hasu

27 Sep 2017, 00:22

davkol wrote:
I believe that's a feature of the ADB protocol.
right, adb standard keyboard protocol doesn't any right modifiers. but extended protocol can handle right modifiers except for Apple key.

as far as I know aek and aek2 only support extended protocol among apple made keyboards. I don't know about third parties at all though.

orihalcon

05 Oct 2017, 00:26

Sorry guys! Couple more questions:

1. With the iMate, does the Num Lock key actually do anything when used with MacOSX and an AEK vs AEKII (Apple Extended Keyboard)? If it does, does the AEK's Num Lock LED Light up?

2. What did the Num Lock Key on an AEK actually do when it was originally in use with ADB Apple Computers? It's been so long since I used an ADB keyboard on an old mac that I can't remember. You'd think they would put the Nav Functions on the Numberpad as sublegends if it did what the equivalent PS/2 keyboards did?

3. I assume that scroll lock doesn't do anything either on MacOSX doesn't support scroll lock as far as I know. I assume scroll lock does work when used with Windows though?

4. With regards to caps lock on iMate when used with MacOSX, does an AEK kind of keep it's own internal caps lock state and ignore other keyboards' caps lock state if there are multiple keyboards plugged in?

Reason for the above questions is that I just realized that using a Soarer's Converter on a Mac with a Dell AT101W actually doesn't snyc the caps lock states across keyboards, whereas using with Windows does. I also realized that MacOSX seems to disregard the Num Lock key as well on a Soarer's Converter at least with that keyboard, though you could aways make Num_Lock a "Layer Select" key and accomplish the same thing, but no Num Lock LED to go with it unfortunately. Just curious if the iMate factored Num Lock in too at least on MacOSX. On Windows, all LEDs and lock states synchronize between multiple keyboards on the AT101W.

Going to post in the wanted section to see if anyone in the USA has an iMate that they'd sell me just so I can stop inquiring about something that I can discover myself if I just find one. Was on the fence because of all the above questions, but curiosity has got the best of me at this point. PM me if you have one to sell.

seaworthy

05 Oct 2017, 03:21

Here's a guy selling a "new" version of the iMate. Looks smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wombat-ADB- ... SwpktZzKWI

orihalcon

05 Oct 2017, 05:41

The one linked above is interesting in that it converts USB to ADB including USB Mice apparently. so good for old Mac use too!

Still looking for an iMate though just to see how the old standard holds up :) The Wombat above seems to make the claim that it is superior to the iMate in every possible way, but I don't know how it handles any of the things that I am questioning about the iMate above. Working Num Lock? Working Locking Caps Lock? Working Scroll Lock? Does the pad equals key do anything? Remapping options?

Hasu's TMK will likely remain the most versatile out there for ADB to USB conversion, but more options to choose from never hurts!

rich1051414

05 Oct 2017, 08:32

Is there something wrong with the open source firmwares to do this with the teensy? That is what I use and have no problems. It does sync lock keys(except caps lock, which acts strange because it is latching, I don't know how it couldn't act strange :P). However, I only use windows, and not mac os. The power key on mine changes modes. I can't tell exactly what changed, but I assume it is for compatibility.

Oh, I use mine on an original AEK. Uses the TMK library.

It's not pretty, but hasn't failed me.
adb.jpg
adb.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 6678 times

orihalcon

05 Oct 2017, 09:04

Nothing wrong with what's out there, it's more my curiosity about the differences between what is available. I plan on making a table that shows the different features of each and how they handle different situations so that they can be better compared. I just find that the iMate isn't particularly well documented other than that it works for most things. There has been a lot about it that I have learned just on this thread alone :)

orihalcon

09 Oct 2017, 05:04

Just got my iMate in the mail. Hooked it up to my AEK M0115 and plugged it into a Macbook Air. To my surprise, Caps lock itself and none of the LEDs function under MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). Num Lock doesn't work either, but I wasn't expecting it to given that Mac keyboards don't usually have the Num Lock functions printed on the keys, all you get is the actual numbers shown on the keys when pressed. Num Lock works fine on windows though including the LED and its functions.

The LEDs do come on momentarily when initially plugged into the Macbook Air, so I know that there isn't too much voltage drop over the cable I'm using. Plus the same cable works fine on Windows for everything including all LEDs and functions of Caps Lock/Num Lock/Scroll lock. I find this just odd. Even if the LEDs didn't work, would figure that caps lock itself would still capitalize letters, but it does not.

The blinky light on the iMate does blink when you press caps lock, so I know it's sensing the press, must just be that modern MacOS doesn't recognize the iMate properly? Weird given that all functions work fine on Windows, so one would assume the same signaling should be sent the same to either OS as far as basic USB keyboard commands?

Just for the heck of it, tried using the iMate on a Mac running VMware fusion and with the iMate solely "virtually" connected to Windows 7, and it doesn't work AT ALL then. No output from anything, no LEDs, etc. Another disappointment.

Also, what does that battery on the inside of the iMate do, and what happens when it dies or is removed? Is the clock ticking to when all iMates lose their programming and just stop working? Guess this could be tested by removing the battery and see if it functions without it or if it just stops working even if replaced.

I feel like these issues would be better documented since an AEK makes more sense to use with a modern Mac given the layout and nostalgia. I am inclined to think that the iMate I have is working as intended since it functions perfectly on Windows.

Has anyone else had these experiences on Mac with the iMate?

Alpinist

02 Nov 2017, 22:57

Hi orihalcon,

I have an iMate and Macs (with different OS) at hand here but not AEK II (only ADBs) to help right now.
But I have another iMate, more macs and AEK II (and ADBs) back in Spain and willing to test whatever you want me to do once I go back there (in about a month or two probably). I'll send you a PM when I'm there so we can do as many tests as you want. We can test with different keyboards, macs, OSs, and iMate units as well.

Caps Lock always worked fine until the latest update with Sierra. There is a workaround which is to activate the ""Enable Slow Keys" on System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard. If you put the Acceptance Delay at minimun you can barely notice it, but it is a pain when you keep for example a key pressed (like backspace, delete, etc...). It's an OS issue and not a problem with the iMate.

I read somewhere recently that all of the sudden started to work for someone so I'm not sure if a recent update has fixed the problem (or this person didn't realise it was Slow Keys active). I haven't updated my System recently so I can't tell. I will let you know if I see this corrected after an update.

orihalcon

03 Nov 2017, 01:24

Cool! Since I have my own now, it was pretty easy to do the tests on High Sierra, but I haven't tested the previous operating systems yet. I was pretty shocked about basic things that I thought it would be able to do, but couldn't. I'm kind of surprised it got decent reviews, though I guess at the time, there weren't really any alternatives.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Nov 2017, 01:50

orihalcon wrote: Also, what does that battery on the inside of the iMate do, and what happens when it dies or is removed?
Oddly enough, this too is on the wiki … [wiki]Griffin iMate[/wiki].

The battery is required to make it function, but if it goes flat and is replaced, the iMate will resume working. Nobody knows what the battery actually does.

hasu

03 Nov 2017, 06:49

This post says iMate works normally with or without battery.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vintage ... hpHbhHX4YJ

And confirmed battery is required to turn computer on from cold state in post below. This function works only with earlier models of iMac or G3/G4 PowerMac and Apple removed this proprietary method that doesn't conform to USB spec from later Macs.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vintage ... jg6DGumXgJ

This makes sense. Battery should not be required for normal use in the end.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Nov 2017, 09:30

What I'm taking from this, is that the battery is not required, but if the battery is depleted, the iMate won't function. That is, when the battery runs out, you can either replace it (should you need the functionality it appears to provide) or simply remove it altogether.

It's a curious situation made worse by not even being documented.

seebart

03 Nov 2017, 09:40

I'll test that with mine. Of course it would be nice to know what the battery was intended for.

Return to “Keyboards”